Sponsored by:

New month. New problem...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 12:03 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
macster. just bend out the contacts inside the bulb socket/housing that make contact with the bulb itself. and you'll be able to signal again, i am strongly guessing. you don't need the dealer for that.
this has nothing at all to do with the stalk mechanism. if you read that thread i linked for you, i think you'll find a myriad number of us that have solved this same issue as suggested. good luck.
Yes, I intend to do that today.

The over the shoulder diagnosis from the tech was the stalk/switch. I didn't put much weight on this "diagnosis" and after experimenting with the stalk and being unable to affect any change in the turn signal's behavior, I really don't think the stalk/switch is the problem.

I read the thread you provided a link to -- thanks -- and it appears this behavior is quite common. So I shall as I mentioned above do the tab or contact bending today at the office.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:16 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Use MAF cleaner in a can to clean out the socket. Adjust the tabs for better connection.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:35 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

cool, good luck. i imagine that'll fix it for you. though once bent they are prone to never being like new again. but please don't be dissuaded, fix it once and you'll know what to do should there be a next time!

i've adjusted mine twice in a few years and the plastic is melted/fused and yet, still works. though it's only a matter of time before i have to replace the entire housing or whatever it is the socket emanates from. again, good luck with it.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:44 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
cool, good luck. i imagine that'll fix it for you. though once bent they are prone to never being like new again. but please don't be dissuaded, fix it once and you'll know what to do should there be a next time!

i've adjusted mine twice in a few years and the plastic is melted/fused and yet, still works. though it's only a matter of time before i have to replace the entire housing or whatever it is the socket emanates from. again, good luck with it.
Well, I didn't get to this today. Trouble is once at work I forget about everything else and just work.

One thing I noticed today is the turn signal didn't work right this AM with the car cold (parked outside overnight with temps down in the low 50's), but after about 25 miles of driving to work the turn signal worked just fine.

Seems once the headlight gets warm -- the lights were off on the way to work so the thing just got warm I think from heat soak from the radiator on that side -- it appears to work.

And surprisingly the light also worked when I went to leave the office tonight at after 7pm. The sun had come out late in the afternoon and while it wasn't "hot", just in the low 60's, the sunlight and a bit warmer daytime temperature was enough.

But Friday I intend to take the headlight out of the car and look at the bulb connection.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:41 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

well, once you get in there, it's a 5 minute tweak based upon your story and the intermittence of it? i am more convinced than ever that it's just the contacts or lack thereof. whoever made mention of the heat from the drivers side rad , i believe is really onto something. i do now believe this to be contributing to the issue. especially in my case, in which the plastic is actually fusing to the housing. ack.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:11 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If its the heat maybe a reflective type insulation may help?
Old 05-08-2015, 11:42 AM
Macster
Race Director

This AM it was 46F (it was 51F yesterday at the same time) and yet the turn signal worked just fine from dead cold.

So much for the car being warmer being a factor.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:19 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

You are worrying too much about the least used feature of vehicles, Macster. Out here, no one uses turn signals. Just stop using it and you won't have to fix it. ;-)
Old 05-09-2015, 02:23 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by kalyan
You are worrying too much about the least used feature of vehicles, Macster. Out here, no one uses turn signals. Just stop using it and you won't have to fix it. ;-)
You have a point. I was so happy the signal was working I was using it and to make sure it was working right, I'd turn on the signal and give a quick glance down at the dash to double check it was blinking at the normal rate, then of course check my mirror and give a glance over my shoulder and then change lanes.

I was doing this and some butt head in some ****box speed up and tried to block my lane change. I managed to get over ok.

But his action reminded me why -- in spite of my well remembered training in Driver's Ed class years ago -- I tend to *not* use the turn signal to change lanes.

But this avoidance of using the turn signal caused me grief when in AZ I got pulled over by a state trooper for not signaling a lane change, a lane change that was done safely of course. I thought about telling him how I came by that habit of not using my turn signal but thought better of it. I just accepted his lecture and warning and vowed to remember I was *not* in CA and to force myself, so to speak, to use the thing.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:10 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

i use my turn signals more now that i put the led's in back LOL
Old 05-09-2015, 11:15 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't use them often passing as I should but do when turning as the roads here are tight and twisty and you will get smacked if not careful..
Old 03-07-2024, 12:55 PM
2Slo_F83
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So, there is no option to update to a different PCM version, if you have 26?

Quick Reply: New month. New problem...