Sponsored by:

Opinions on Upsolute chip

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 07:34 PM
BCS996TT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one other thing....

Regarding the whole warranty coverage, etc. It really comes down to your relationship with your dealership. Some dealers are very mod friendly (and will protect you as much as they can) and others are not.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:21 AM
LSM
Racer

Originally posted by BCS996TT
one other thing....

Regarding the whole warranty coverage, etc. It really comes down to your relationship with your dealership. Some dealers are very mod friendly (and will protect you as much as they can) and others are not.
It really does come down to that doesn't it. With all the warranty laws and consumer protection on modded cars, the more I hear, either your dealership is mod friendly or the are not. Those that are not may try and dispute warranty claims which in turn makes our lives harder. They will ultimately end up losing their case but, can make your life hell. Thanks for info

-Lou
Old 09-01-2003, 01:56 PM
Hamann7
User

Just so you know, PowerChip offers an optional drivetrain warranty with their chip that goes for several years. If their ECU program causes any damage to your engine, they will cover it. I believe it is as good as the GIAC program, but with better customer service and support.

On a stock K16-based 996TT, their chip gets at least 65hp to the wheels, but more importantly it improves throttle response, which makes the car feel lighter and gives better performance all across the board.

They will be fine tuning the Protomotive car in the next few weeks so I will keep you posted....

If you want to know more email wilber on this board-- tuningparts@yahoo.com
Old 09-01-2003, 03:02 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

L ast I contacted Powerchip they sent me a brochure for their X50 93 octane chip - it only gives a 27HP gain but costs $2980!! http://www.powerchipgroup.com/intera...p?pid=Por0053#
Old 09-01-2003, 03:10 PM
Chris Y.
Racer

Huh...stock x-50 is 450hp and Powerchips claims 508-522hp...that would be a 58-72hp bump. Or is my math wrong?
Old 09-01-2003, 03:28 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

My bad!!
They just changed/updated their specs after I e-mailed them last week - it was a typo!!! they had the Gold 93 X50 HP at 477!!
I can e-mail you the old PDF if you don't believe me....
Old 09-01-2003, 03:32 PM
BCS996TT
Instructor

Originally posted by Hamann7
Just so you know, PowerChip offers an optional drivetrain warranty with their chip that goes for several years. If their ECU program causes any damage to your engine, they will cover it.
That could be a very grey area unless there is a simple process to determine if the problem was caused by the ecu and ecu alone. I can only imagine how drawn out, ugly and expensive that debate would be...especially when there's a 40K engine involved and no one wants to take responsibility.

Anyone have personal experience on this subject?

Best advice for us all....be safe and keep the car Stock!!!
Old 09-01-2003, 03:49 PM
LSM
Racer

Originally posted by msindi
My bad!!
They just changed/updated their specs after I e-mailed them last week - it was a typo!!! they had the Gold 93 X50 HP at 477!!
I can e-mail you the old PDF if you don't believe me....
Mansour,

The 477 number is for non-X50 cars. I have the PDF. That would mean 477hp vs 415stock. 62hp gain, not bad.

Just as a note, Powerchip does not have much experience tuning Porsches, I would be really leary of going with a company that only has stage 1 chips written. I contacted them prior to knowing/researching GIAC chip and told them I planned on getting an exhaust, diverter valves, and airfilter. They responded by saying they do not have a chip that will accomodate those mods. They only have 1 chip and 1 program. Powerchip's expertise is BMW and they do a great job with them, but for Porsche, there are just better tuners. What happens when you want further upgrades? Stage 2, 3, 4 or 5, well, with Powerchip, you are out of luck. Just my thoughts.

-Lou
Old 09-01-2003, 03:58 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

I guesss they copied the regular TT numbers to the X50 'initial' PDF - I just checked again and it is definitely an X50 brochure!! but oh well...
Old 09-01-2003, 04:02 PM
LSM
Racer

Originally posted by msindi
I guesss they copied the regular TT numbers to the X50 'initial' PDF - I just checked again and it is definitely an X50 brochure!! but oh well...
Yea, they is exactly what they did. Didn't mean to imply you were mistaken as that is how they originally had the x50 brochures(477hp) but, as you said just changed them to reflect the correct numbers. take care

-Lou
Old 09-01-2003, 09:16 PM
Hamann7
User

Well I guess we will find out how "good" they are when they fine tune my 700hp+ ECU program, won't we?

Lou, it's easy to mistake being conservative with being inexperienced. PowerChip has a good program for the Porsche, and they are working on many things but don't want to rush their product rollout schedule.

IMHO, the best custom ECU programs are done by Protomotive. Oh wait, maybe that's why CJV used them for his ECU? But for more "cookie cutter" applications, I think PowerChip is as good as they come. Their programming prowess is as good as GIAC with the added benefit of a drivetrain warranty.

In October or November, my Protomotive/PowerChip car will be going head to head with the best from GIAC/EVO/Imagine's "Stage V."

With Wilber on board as PowerChip's consultant, you can bet that they are one of the chip tuners to watch. They will be releasing custom programs with different levels of mods soon. But keep in mind that they are a growing company, and they don't want to release products before they are fully tested and ready.

FYI, in 12 years, they have never had ONE reliability issue with any of their programs.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:49 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

So Hamman - I am confused - are Protomotive and Powerchip one or two tuners?? I thought Protomotive has their own software but from what you are saying they use Powerchip?? Please clarify the relation between the two...
Old 09-01-2003, 10:02 PM
Chris Y.
Racer

They are two different tuners. I think Hamann is saying that for extremely modified TT's, Todd at Promotive might be better, but for more mildly tuned TTs, Powerchips are one of the best.

From what I understand, Powerchips will tune your car's A/F until they get it right.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:03 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

Yeah but he said his car is somehow a joint venture between the two which i wanted to know more about...
Old 09-02-2003, 12:56 AM
RDH
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Msindi,
All "originally" done by promotive and now has a relationship with powerchips/ Wilber who will in turn tweak things........... Hamann, as soon as I saw they were doing this (Evo, Chad,etc..) I was wondering where the heck your car was in this line up? Question is now answered

Quick Reply: Opinions on Upsolute chip