Sponsored by:

Protecting against door dings

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 04:19 PM
racer63
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Protecting against door dings

I bought a pair of those "Ding Things" to protect against door dings when I take the Turbo to work. Unfortunately, someone decided to pilfer them last week, and I'm left unprotected other than by my car cover.

The Ding Things worked pretty well (made of marine vinyl, with a magnetic backing to stick to the side of the car). But, they are kind of smallish for protecting the entire door and rear fender. Does anyone have a good alternative to the Ding Things that can be used underneath a car cover?

http://www.protecmfg.com/thedingthing.html

Thanks in advance,
Old 08-26-2003, 04:38 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

These might be bigger but I am not sure...http://www.premiumautocare.com/pasmmadogu.html
I generally do not like putting magnetic things on my car because if there is a bit of dirt or dust, the magnet can scratch the paint!!
Old 08-26-2003, 04:44 PM
racer63
Racer

Looks like an interesting possibility. The Ding Thing was pretty well designed in that it used both cushioning material and marine vinyl over the magnet. So, there was relatively little chance of scratching the car. That said, it could lead to small surface scratches if it fell down the side of the car.

Thanks for sending the link!
Old 08-26-2003, 08:23 PM
billhart
Instructor

What about those marine pontoons (or whatever they are called) that are suspended from a rail to keep the boat from getting clobbered against the dock? You could buy a couple, hang 'em from the window on a string, and feel confident with your mooring. In fact, why not hang em over the car cover? As i think about it, buy an air-inflated raft (for swimming pools, not the stuff special forces uses), make some velcro attachments and hang it from your car cover.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:38 PM
ypshan
Instructor

Dent Wizard is what I use. They really don't cost much and the fix the dings without a trace usually.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:10 PM
racer63
Racer

Originally posted by ypshan
Dent Wizard is what I use. They really don't cost much and the fix the dings without a trace usually.
I've used those types of services in the past. They generally work pretty well... Actually, however, I was inquiring about ways of preventing dings (rather than repairing them after you've gotten them).

Cheers,
Old 08-26-2003, 09:12 PM
racer63
Racer

Originally posted by billhart
What about those marine pontoons (or whatever they are called) that are suspended from a rail to keep the boat from getting clobbered against the dock? You could buy a couple, hang 'em from the window on a string, and feel confident with your mooring. In fact, why not hang em over the car cover? As i think about it, buy an air-inflated raft (for swimming pools, not the stuff special forces uses), make some velcro attachments and hang it from your car cover.
I haven't seen those marine pontoons. They sound BIG! Are they that big?

Funny that you mention a raft. I have an inflatable raft covering up the quarter panel while the car sits in the garage at home. That way, if the nanny (who, yes, is parked next to the Porsche a couple of days a week) flings open her door, the P-car won't get bashed.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:49 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

billhart is referring to a "bumper" used to keep boats from hitting the pier.

they are heavy pvc. i likt your swim raft idea best... but why would you
1] allow nanny to park near porsche and
2] allow her to continue in your employ if she could not respect your belongings?
Old 08-27-2003, 01:16 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The nanny must be good!
Old 08-27-2003, 01:31 PM
racer63
Racer

Originally posted by adscab911
The nanny must be good!
Hmmm. To me it makes more sense to let nanny park there, rather than the wife or daughter. Since the nanny's hired help, she's much less likely to ding the P-car than anyone else in the household who doesn't exactly have a vested interest.

My wife, for example, thinks of cars like they are an ironing board or a work bench. She's hit two fixed objects in six months in her Lexus. She stacks crap on top of cars, like groceries, hammers, knives, sticks, mops, brief cases, etc. And those are on the good days. The daughter likewise appears to have hit a few fixed objects, and hangs out with that pierced crowd who'll probably spill beer or bong water on the P-car on exit. Then there's the friggin dog, apparently raised by coyotes or bobcats, who, if he ever got into the garage, would maul the P-car. In short, the nanny is the least of my worries.

Despite the risks of home, at least in the garage I can throw blankets, rafts, etc over the car car so that the P-car is impenetrable to even the most careless of door dingers, wives, pierced bong smokers, and wild animals.

But, I can't take the same level of precaution when I go to work, to the club, etc. And that's where the real risk lies. You've got butt closers, door flingers, people who put $hit on top of your car like its a shelf, Helen Keller parkers, more wild animals, more bong smoking peirced people, etc. That's where I need side impact protection that can be hidden under the car cover.

Old 08-27-2003, 02:18 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

I know I've posted this somewhere before but it's worth doing again to tweak watt

I had called the service dept at the dealer where I have a GT3 on order to ask a PCCB related question. They happened to have a GT2 in the shop and went to look at the brakes on it. The service adviser came back muttering about a baby seat in a GT2. I said it must be nice if dad drove the kid around in his GT2. His response was it was the car the nanny used. That must be a _very_ good nanny.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:30 PM
racer63
Racer

Originally posted by Steve in FL
I know I've posted this somewhere before but it's worth doing again to tweak watt

I had called the service dept at the dealer where I have a GT3 on order to ask a PCCB related question. They happened to have a GT2 in the shop and went to look at the brakes on it. The service adviser came back muttering about a baby seat in a GT2. I said it must be nice if dad drove the kid around in his GT2. His response was it was the car the nanny used. That must be a _very_ good nanny.
That would only make sense (to me) if my daily driver was a CGT, and the GT2 was my beater... or...

the nanny looked like (fill in name of favorite model/actress) and was VERY, VERY VERY good (to me AND my son)!

Old 08-27-2003, 02:53 PM
MMH
Intermediate

Do you guys have any recommendations for car covers that have some ding protection or padding on the side? thanks
Old 08-27-2003, 03:09 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

Gert sells them
Check out www.covercar.it
Old 08-31-2003, 08:56 PM
drafting
Instructor

Well whatever you do, at least implore your daughter and her more-than-the-originally supplied-number-of-body holes friends to make sure that they keep the bong water away from the dog! If the dog drinks that, you may just unleash a terror that none of us can imagine.

or, you might be cutting the grass one day (which, if you have a nanny, you likely do not) and look up just in time to see your pooch at the wheel of your P-car, going for the residential speed record down your street (right before he heads out to cruise for b!tches. typical behavior for any wild dog in a fast car)!!!

Jeff

Quick Reply: Protecting against door dings