Sponsored by:

Tuner shoot out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 04:20 AM
Tim'sNFS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Tuner shoot out?

I'm totally confused about which tuner and or components to add to my car. It sure would be nice if there was an event that the tuners all got together had some kind of competition. You know "King TT Super Tuner Almighty" award, or something like that. That way us new comers could see this stuff for our selfves. Also I think this would really leverage the competition and customer service between them. Maybe base it on dollar per horse power gain, reliability and customer service. For all I know there is already such an event. If so when and where?

Just a thought

Tim's Need For Speed
Old 08-17-2003, 04:52 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Decide upon the HP you want and then I would talk to some of the more respected people/tuners out there. I've had the same dilema and been through a few in my time and without a doubt the most down to Earth and helpful people I've spoken with are Stephen at imagineauto.com and Kevin from Alamo Turbochargers. Neither of them will overcharge you either, which is a plus these are the guys I'm going to stick with. Look through these forums and ask around, I'm sure you'll find that my experiences are not alone, so don't just take my word for it.
Old 08-17-2003, 03:41 PM
Chris Y.
Racer

I believe a tuner shootout was conducted in Germany by a German car mag last year. I don't have the results in front of me, but I think if you do a forums search, you can find scanned copies of the article.

As for the US tuners, I don't believe any such shoot out has taken place. That's not to say that they are not competitive...I believe we have some very capable tuners on this side of the pond. Try Rob King at scargo racing, Todd at promotive, Stephen at imagine auto, EVO MS, etc. Of course, there are some that you should stay away from. I won't mention names, but if you do a search, you'll find long threads and the horror stories.

e-mail me if you have more questions...i'd be glad to discuss.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:06 PM
Fanman
Instructor

MIght Also depend on which side of the country you live on. On the West Coast (especially the southwest) you have Techart (CEC Wheels), Gemballa, and By Design here in LA. In Arizona you have Evo Motorsports. On the East Coast I believe there are several great tuners in Florida.
Old 08-17-2003, 08:21 PM
Chris Y.
Racer

I'm not sure how you guys feel about CEC, but generally they aren't very friendly unless you're some big celebrity which they'll plaster your picture all over their website.

I visited their store in Santa Monica and they weren't friendly at all. Go else where for TechArt parts...even though they are the main US distributor.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:16 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally posted by Chris Y.
I'm not sure how you guys feel about CEC, but generally they aren't very friendly unless you're some big celebrity which they'll plaster your picture all over their website.

and way overpriced!!!!!
Old 08-18-2003, 12:35 AM
luting_chen
Advanced

I got the same experience too...
even if I pull up with my TT, and when I walk in there...no one seem to come up to me...and I have to ask them myself regarding to parts and pricing... And I even feel like I have to push them for giving me a quote...=_="...and that's my first time...and will be my last time as well..
Old 08-18-2003, 03:55 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Damn Lu-Ting, that sucks. If anyone's a baller around here it'd be you. They completely suck for ignoring you... that's lame
Old 08-18-2003, 12:07 PM
luting_chen
Advanced

nonono @_@...if talking about ballers...I'm defintely not one...
CJV with 160G on mod will be the first one on list....
Old 08-18-2003, 01:15 PM
Tim'sNFS
Track Day

I'm wondering why any of the tuners don't have any thing to say. scared of a little competition maybe?
Old 08-18-2003, 02:10 PM
Chris Y.
Racer

Stephen from Imagine Auto posts here often and is always friendly and helpful. Even recently conducting an exhaust shoot.

My guess is because the costs are not cheap for dyno/track time and unless some publication or big pocket individual comes out willing to pay, a shootout is no where in the near future. Most tuners are still constantly working on their TT projects and pushing the envelope.

Hopefully one day....
Old 08-18-2003, 02:52 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yeah Luting, just get stuff from Stephen. He's down to Earth and has everything you'll need anyways.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:16 PM
racer63
Racer

Originally posted by Chris Y.
Stephen from Imagine Auto posts here often and is always friendly and helpful. Even recently conducting an exhaust shoot.

My guess is because the costs are not cheap for dyno/track time and unless some publication or big pocket individual comes out willing to pay, a shootout is no where in the near future. Most tuners are still constantly working on their TT projects and pushing the envelope.

Hopefully one day....
I've got some experience that I could lend to the common good for a tuner shootout - including writing for various car magazines and several years of road racing. If someone gets serious about this, I'd be glad to donate my time for writing and track tests.

Unfortunately I don't have time to organize the whole thing. Also, if 1/4 mile times are part of the testing, I could use some assistance there as I suck at drag racing.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:51 PM
LSM
Racer

I think the only way to make this test into interest is if each tuner has a spending limit. I always see tuners, bringing their $100,000+ in mods with 800hp and modified turbos. That does a guy like me no good. I want to know if I have $5k-10k who is the best tuner, what are the best products. Then maybe from $10.1k-15k what are the best products, who is best tuner. That is what would be beneficial. However, I fear cost would prohibit that type of test.

-Lou
Old 08-18-2003, 04:23 PM
Hamann7
User

I'd be in for a tuner shootout in my newly acquired Protomotive Turbo.

Quick Reply: Tuner shoot out?