sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts
Default New Turbos... holy ****....

Hey guys,

Might need your help/input on this. Picked up my car today and got on it twice (that was enough for now lol) and boost held 1.5bar. That's just nuts and up from .09/1.0bar as it used to be with the stock turbos, chip, straight pipes. My straight pipes are obviously benefitting the new turbos a lot more than the stockers but what the heck lol, my software is the same as it was before and how on earth it goes from .9/1.0 to 1.5 with these new babies... I know our ECUs are adaptive but ****. This obviously can't be safe so for the meantime until I log some data I'm goin to strictly run 100 octane. I figure the ECU is smart enough to pull timing if it senses knock or gets lean, but I'm still scared. I was planning on logging some AFR data and then send my ECU off to get worked on. That was the plan, to up the boost from 1.0bar to 1.2 or something...

PS CJV, if you're free tomorrow sometime, I can show you the data logger but I have some questions for you and maybe you can take a ride/drive and see what you think is going on. I'm just scared that it's holding 1.5bar. I know it's the stock gauge and so it's probably off but I figured the throttle body closed at 1.4 bar?

PPS Everyone at Porsche that has seen the Turbos that Kevin made has said they are awesome So well done man.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:54 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Alex,
The throttle body will close down at 1.3 bar so I can't believe that the system is holding 1.5 bar. Remember that the sensor is up stream from the throttle body so it may close and kill boost to the intake without you knowing it.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:59 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

See that's what I am saying.. something seems odd. According to my boost gauge it's holding 1.5bar. I got a flashing CEL come on on one pull but not the second. Hopefully my boost gauge (the stock one) is just plain wrong.

The pull I did was a very slow builfing one (I was taking it easy) from 5th... and not the usual 3rd, but it didn't feel like it shut off at anytime but I do know that you are right about it suposedly shutting off at 1.3bar.

I'm scratching my head at this point... I'll do some logging over the next couple of days and see what's what. Scary stuff tho..
Old 08-12-2003, 01:06 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That poor tranny....
Old 08-12-2003, 02:06 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

LOL no kidding! I'm obviously getting too much outta the straight pipes too. In my case I could use some blockadge

Until I get it tuned right (to run 1.2bar or something) I'm just not going to drive it hard- if at all. Seems unsafe.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:20 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Sharkey, it's porbably just a waste gate adjustment, or possible pinch in a vacuum hose.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:30 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by Oak
Sharkey, it's porbably just a waste gate adjustment, or possible pinch in a vacuum hose.
That could be it... Would make me feel safe.. I know Kevin made the waste gate adjustment and I'll look to see if there's anything going on with the vacuum hose, which blew off along with the intake hose when the Porsche mechanic test drove it the first time. Oops
Old 08-12-2003, 12:49 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

glad to hear you finally got those things mounted

now I expect video once you get the boost issue resolved.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:36 PM
LSM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New Turbos... holy ****....

Originally posted by sharkster
Hey guys,

Might need your help/input on this. Picked up my car today and got on it twice (that was enough for now lol) and boost held 1.5bar. That's just nuts and up from .09/1.0bar as it used to be with the stock turbos, chip, straight pipes. My straight pipes are obviously benefitting the new turbos a lot more than the stockers but what the heck lol, my software is the same as it was before and how on earth it goes from .9/1.0 to 1.5 with these new babies... I know our ECUs are adaptive but ****. This obviously can't be safe so for the meantime until I log some data I'm goin to strictly run 100 octane. I figure the ECU is smart enough to pull timing if it senses knock or gets lean, but I'm still scared. I was planning on logging some AFR data and then send my ECU off to get worked on. That was the plan, to up the boost from 1.0bar to 1.2 or something...

PS CJV, if you're free tomorrow sometime, I can show you the data logger but I have some questions for you and maybe you can take a ride/drive and see what you think is going on. I'm just scared that it's holding 1.5bar. I know it's the stock gauge and so it's probably off but I figured the throttle body closed at 1.4 bar?

PPS Everyone at Porsche that has seen the Turbos that Kevin made has said they are awesome So well done man.

Alex,

Did you install the k24 turbo's. I am just picking up your post, can you tell me the mods you just made and how much more power you are making.

-Lou
Old 08-12-2003, 04:06 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Not the K24s no.. I went with Kevin's a la carte new billet set up. It spools insanely fast and just keeps on going. Still working out tuning etc.. with my car but other than that I have a chip, straight pipes etc...
Old 08-12-2003, 05:05 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I forgot to add, only the brave need apply. Except your tires to smoke
Old 08-12-2003, 05:11 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

Sharky - what mods from Kevin did you get??
I am planning on doing EVEYRTHING to my K24s (titanium impeelor, billet back plate, heat coat, port-polish and zero-clearance coating...). Now you are worrying me cause I want something driveable...
Old 08-12-2003, 05:18 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Oh it'll be fine and driveable I would go for it man. If you want the best, then do it. It makes a huge difference. Also remember I have straight pipes so I'm really really benefiting a lot there too with these new babies. I got exactly what you did except for the titanium (I did billet alluminium).

Go for it and I can't wait to see your reaction
Old 08-12-2003, 05:24 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

In a few weeks though!! Getting a Fabspeed loud and GIAC level 4 now so will be brokefor a while
Old 08-12-2003, 05:27 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

hehe I hear ya' loud and clear on that. If you're getting the Fabspeed tho, make sure you DO get the straight pipes from Joe. With modified turbos you really do benefit even more..

Here's what they sound like:
http://www.fabspeed.com/996TT-sharky%20ad.wmv

Quick Reply: New Turbos... holy ****....