Sponsored by:

PSM Issue-Strange

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 01:00 PM
sbefar01
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSM Issue-Strange

My PSM has gone off twice basically for no reason as Im driving lightly around a turn, really catches you off guard. The 2 times it happened it was 2-3 seconds after moderate- somewhat aggressive cornering. Any thoughts guys? Thanks.

-The PSM brakes the car pretty hard too.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:05 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Any error messages? I had problems with a front wheel sensor that turned out to be a known fault where the harness chafes next to the wheel sensor.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:29 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

ANYtime that stuff activates, is disconcerting to me!

it shouldn't occur AFTER aggressive cornering.. only during! and yes, it "stabs" the car lol
Old 07-04-2014, 04:10 PM
sbefar01
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill check for error messages at dealer, nothing popped up on my dash lights, very well could be that wheels sensor then, which Im hoping isnt a killer repair.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:24 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by sbefar01
Ill check for error messages at dealer, nothing popped up on my dash lights, very well could be that wheels sensor then, which Im hoping isnt a killer repair.
Not killer if it is that (search design 911 for harness repair on 996 Turbo) although my problem came with a dash alert. The dealer readout was implausible signal from front left wheel sensor. Maybe yours is more intermittent? Nothing lost if it turns out to be something else.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:12 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

what exactly do you mean? if psm/abs activates and you didn't ( or don't ) see blinking yellow lights that correspond to the conditions that trigger them? then something is amiss.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:35 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My PSM has gone off twice basically for no reason as Im driving lightly around a turn, really catches you off guard. The 2 times it happened it was 2-3 seconds after moderate- somewhat aggressive cornering. Any thoughts guys? Thanks.

-The PSM brakes the car pretty hard too.
If by 'gone off' you mean't that it turns itself off (faults out and the yellow PSM light stays on a few seconds after hard cornering, especially down off a rise) then mine does the same thing. On considering mine, I believe that the system is designed to excuse itself from further service if it thinks that it is not working properly. and Porsche are clever enough to not pull the pin on you mid-corner so they wait until you are on the first following straight.

Re-reading your post though, it seems that your PSM is kicking in during subsequent mild cornering instead, by pulling engine power. Can't contribute much on that other than to say that tire pressures and diameters have a big bearing on PSM, so you may want to check both carefully.

Feel for you though - sometimes PSM kills power just when you'd most appreciate having it available to you. I am not a fan of how it is implemented on the Turbo, as too often it suddenly leaves you sitting in a supercar with less engine power than a Toyota Corolla. Wish it was graduated so you could stop it pulling power.

Quick Reply: PSM Issue-Strange