Sponsored by:

DIY: Braille 21 light weight battery install

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 01:45 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Default DIY: Braille 21 light weight battery install

I finally got around to installing my Braille 21lb battery that I've had sitting on the shelf for the past year. I chose the Braille 21lb battery because it is robust enough for everyday use and keeps it's charge for a couple of weeks with the car not in use. Braille also makes a couple of smaller versions of this battery that would save a few more lbs. but I did not want to give up any additional capacity. It is also relatively cheap at under $200 (compared to $1500+ Lithium batteries) and provides a solid 25lb weight savings compared to the OEM battery. The Braille 21 is sealed, uses glass mat technology, and thus there is no change of spills. It provides 1380 pulse cranking amps which is far better than the Oddysey batteries, the other popular choice. The challenge with the lightweight batteries lies with the fact that it's not always easy attaching them. I ended up with a simple solution of removing the OEM battery tray, drilling two holes in the base, and pushing two T nuts through the tray from the bottom. I secured the T nuts with some JB weld. The Braille battery is then secured via a cross bar and some 8" bolts I bought at ACE hardware. The cross bar can be made from various material like plastic or aluminum. I used one made from Delrin. The 8" bolt will need to be shortened about 1/4" which is easy to do with a hack saw. This is also a perfect time to clean up the OEM battery tray and spray it black for a new look. Strictly an option, but I also used some spray adhesive to glue a very thin 1/32" piece of rubber liner to the battery tray under the battery for a cushioning effect.

Once the battery tray is modified, it can be bolted back in the car and the battery then bolted to the tray. The factory cables have just enough length to connect to the Braille without any modifications. The battery swap removed 25lbs from the car for under $200. Great bang for the buck....

[url=https://flic.kr/p/o2wLgr]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nZKjGP]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nZCwgw]
Old 06-16-2014, 02:54 PM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

great batteries, I had the smaller version and it worked great for daily driving down to 45 degrees. It even started right up after having a dome light on overnight .
Old 06-16-2014, 03:50 PM
Tuxiemama
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brilliant review, this is my next mod when I (if I ever) get my beast back. I was going Odysey but this battery suits much better. I really appreciate your time and effort as usual Powder for doing these write ups.

My weight loss will be to a dry weight (minus my extra weight and 1/2 tank gas) = 3280 lbs [No spare tire, tools, LW wheels, carbon fibre mods, GT2, GT2 AWE exhaust, LW battery, RWD, Ohlins GT3 suspension, no f axles, PCCB, CF hood (on the way)]
Old 06-16-2014, 08:41 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tuxiemama
Brilliant review, this is my next mod when I (if I ever) get my beast back. I was going Odysey but this battery suits much better. I really appreciate your time and effort as usual Powder for doing these write ups.

My weight loss will be to a dry weight (minus my extra weight and 1/2 tank gas) = 3280 lbs [No spare tire, tools, LW wheels, carbon fibre mods, GT2, GT2 AWE exhaust, LW battery, RWD, Ohlins GT3 suspension, no f axles, PCCB, CF hood (on the way)]
I just did an alignment and corner balance yesterday with a bit over 3/4 tank of fuel. Adjusted for 1/2 fuel, I'm at 3229 lbs without driver.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:21 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

powdrhound

Excellent write up and pix - thanks. It inspired me to look into doing the same - particularly as my Bosch battery let me down last Tuesday.
However, looking for deals I did some shopping around and found that the Braille battery [now $229.99 from Amazon] is the same as the Deka EXT30L, Big Crank and Magna Power batteries selling for $99.95 - all, including the Braille, made by East Penn.
Also, a similar mount kit to the Braille at $23.66 can be had from Pep Boys for about 1/3rd the price.

You mentioned that the existing -ve battery cable was just long enough and i see that you moved the Braille battery towards the cable end for this reason. I wasn't happy using the short OE cable and installed one about 4 inches longer, this allows the small battery to be in the center of the battery tray with no stress on either +ve or -ve battery cables. I see you secured the tee nuts with JB Weld, i used epoxy as i didn't have JB Weld, seems to be holding up well.

Thanks again.
Attached Images  
Old 06-25-2014, 01:23 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

The Deka EXT30L maintenance free battery.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
frederickcook87 (12-18-2021)
Old 06-26-2014, 06:12 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

OE battery tray adapted with 5/16" teen nuts for smaller battery.

Why does the under side have a 1/4" layer of white foam with > P E < cut out?
Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2014, 07:21 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

I wondered the same thing. I think that it's there to act as a seal between the batt tray and the hole underneath. Btw, I positioned my battery just slightly off center in the tray so that I could retain the OEM battery cables. You must also make sure your battery bracket is low profile so that you can fit the battery cover over the battery. There is virtually no extra room as this battery is slightly taller than OEM. That is why I fabricated my own.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:09 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

You are right about the white foam under the battery tray, it is a seal.

Good point about the battery bracket; mine is about 4 mm below the cover, the battery posts are about 7 mm below the cover. Ideally i would have preferred the battery to be about an inch less tall!

I used this $6.50 Pep Boys battery bracket - works very nicely.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: DIY: Braille 21 light weight battery install