Sponsored by:

5 years in storage too long?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 12:20 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 365 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by mig.
Quick update here - the Turbo was delivered from Florida yesterday - I've not seen it yet as I am in Hong Kong but the home team has given it a quick going over and it looks to be in really good shape. The one area I was expecting to be a little better than it is is the carbon fiber under the windshield which is pretty warped. I've seen a few other 6's with similar problems so I was expecting some. A Porsche dealership in Florida quoted $4,500 to fix it - I assume they're replacing every piece of fiber for that money. Anyone else have the same problem that found a cheaper fix? I'm guessing its more likely to break than bend back down right? Thanks again for your support and feedback here - and here's a few more of it before it was shipped:
Congrats! Nice car!

I suggest looking thru the Rennlist's sponsors. I remember reading about a couple companies who are making carbon bits for the interior and I'm pretty sure it's not going to cost you 4500$.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:15 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah the carbon fiber windshield trim seem to warp, Porsche uses an inferior adhesive. Replacement of the pieces from Porsche at a discount run about $600 apiece.
You have the option to buy aftermarket but the entire trim pane l is carbon fiber, which replaces the leather/carbon Porsche trim,
http://www.macarbon.com/
Company also called ROTEC has the same type as MA Carbon ( click on showcase)
http://rotteccarbon.com/996turbo.php

If you decide to remove and re-glue, its not hard, you remove the side vents, pull off the headliner door surround trim and coat hook, the alarm lens in the front of the dash, and the entire trim panel snaps out. I have found using gorilla glue works best, but use it very sparingly, and I mean sparingly. it expands as it dries and if it leaches out it will be very noticeable. To get the strips to lay down before clamping use a hair dryer, this will keep you from cracking the fiber strips before clamping.
Another choice is to search ebay for the trim panels, you will probably pay about $300 for each. For a dealer to quote $4500, that's just way out of wack, even replacing with new.
I will also state the dealer replacement trim will warp eventually too.
By no means try and glue without removing these panels, its just to tight between the windshield and trim, it becomes a mess

This is common on the defroster window trim, Its happened to me twice.
BTW what dealer in Fla did you deal with?
Good luck!
Old 03-20-2014, 08:43 PM
mig.
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

thanks Kevin - Rottec has the right pieces for $600. They describe them as 'carbon fiber over layer with genuine OEM Porsche parts' - have you had experience of those pieces and are they are good match with the rest of the trim? Really appreciate the directions too - I'm going through the mental gymnastics of how that might work now

For the PPI I dealt with Porsche of Fort Myers - happy to share my experience with them. The other items they reported are below.

1) Found left side coolant pipe to be rattling, (clips to secure are damaged), replaced would be: $170+tax

2) Cabin filter (found an animal nest) replaced would be: $107+tax

3) Front spoiler lip to be cracked replaced would be: $592+tax

4) Right side skirt is damaged, found a chunk to be missing replaced would be $443+tax

5) Front tires found to be from 2006, Rear tires from 2005 - Mounted & Balanced Bridgestone tires @ $1,633+tax Pirelli tires $1,517+tax

6) 4 wheel alignment recommended at $249+tax

7) Floor mats found to be worn - $96+tax

8) Right side carbon fiber on front dash found to be peeling replaced at $4,575+tax

9) Minor maintenance service (oil & filter changed, clearing of the water drains for A/C & body, Cleaning and lubricating all doors, windows seals and latching mechanisms) estimated at $296+tax

10) CD changer cartridge in front trunk is missing, would have to replace to whole changer assembly (Porsche no longer sells just the cartridge). (CD player inside of vehicle works) - $828+tax
Old 03-20-2014, 09:05 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

No honestly I have not. I was able to get mine on Ebay new for $300. They started warping, after about 1.5 years pulled them off and used gorilla glue and they look great! Porsche uses very poor adhesive for these parts! The Rotec are full carbon fiber and are not part leather and carbon fiber as the Porsche part. Nothing wrong going that route. You will never have the warping problem again!
Old 03-20-2014, 11:42 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cabin filter 107 that's robbery lol.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:10 AM
911-AL
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 74 Posts

Comments inline below. These guys are crooks.

thanks Kevin - Rottec has the right pieces for $600. They describe them as 'carbon fiber over layer with genuine OEM Porsche parts' - have you had experience of those pieces and are they are good match with the rest of the trim? Really appreciate the directions too - I'm going through the mental gymnastics of how that might work now

For the PPI I dealt with Porsche of Fort Myers - happy to share my experience with them. The other items they reported are below.

1) Found left side coolant pipe to be rattling, (clips to secure are damaged), replaced would be: $170+tax

Robbery 2) Cabin filter (found an animal nest) replaced would be: $107+tax

You can get an AeroKit Repro for $199 on Ebay 3) Front spoiler lip to be cracked replaced would be: $592+tax

Do you care? If not ignore. 4) Right side skirt is damaged, found a chunk to be missing replaced would be $443+tax

Robbery get Sumitumo HTR ZIII's for $600 or so 5) Front tires found to be from 2006, Rear tires from 2005 - Mounted & Balanced Bridgestone tires @ $1,633+tax Pirelli tires $1,517+tax

6) 4 wheel alignment recommended at $249+tax

7) Floor mats found to be worn - $96+tax

Tell them to eat **** 8) Right side carbon fiber on front dash found to be peeling replaced at $4,575+tax

Dealers in Chicago charge $125 with PCA membership 9) Minor maintenance service (oil & filter changed, clearing of the water drains for A/C & body, Cleaning and lubricating all doors, windows seals and latching mechanisms) estimated at $296+tax

Tell them to suck your d1ck. Really? $828 for a missing magazine?? RUN RUN RUN!! Really though, I have a whole changer with catridge that you can have for $200 shipped PM ME. You can also probably find the cartridge on ebay. 10) CD changer cartridge in front trunk is missing, would have to replace to whole changer assembly (Porsche no longer sells just the cartridge). (CD player inside of vehicle works) - $828+tax
Old 03-21-2014, 07:57 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

...also NO waay a "minor? maintenance is going to be $296 & tax. closer to a grand even though it's nothing more than oil filter pollen and air filter and *checking* stuff.

dealerships are absurd, and bank upon the naivete of owners.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:00 AM
mig.
Advanced

911-AL - your comments are hilarious! I gotta add too that while the rodent nest was observed I actually can't remember them telling me they removed it. And that said, I can't be certain either if the price of $107 was to replace the cabin filter or to replace the rodent nest. I doubt I'll be passing that dealership again so I'll never find out or have the chance to pass on your sentiments

The spoiler lip bothers me a bit and I will probably end up replacing it with a fresh(er) one. Then again I won't be seeing it from the drivers seat so there's a chance I'll do something lame like glue the crack and get over it. I won't go looking for the hole in the side skirt so that will be staying as is.

The chance of a $125 service is welcome news. Anyone know if that is just a Chicago thing or do dealerships in other parts of the country do that too? $600 tires is good news too although color me skeptical as that seems too good to be true - any experience of those? Let me think about the cartridge too - really appreciate the offer. Would be nice to keep it as complete condition… The warped carbon fiber will bother me silly so I address that at some point ideally with an original piece - Kevin I might come back to you later on that

02996ttx50 posting that kinda thing on an open thread is really uncool - my wife might see! It's going to be hard enough explaining to her what I meant when I said that there were 'loads' of 'reasonably' priced child seats that would 'fit' in the back according to the other dad's on rennlist and because it had a 'trunk' it really was a practical car - let alone also having to explain to her what I meant when I said 'services really don't cost that much more'. (Seriously though if anyone has any suggestions on reasonably priced child seats that will fit in the back of a 996TT you'd really be helping a guy out)
Old 03-21-2014, 12:24 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Best to find a good indy. Mine charges me actual time, as compared to book time which dealers do. My indy only does Porsches. Great shop! You could probably do the same if you look.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:29 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

02996ttx50 posting that kinda thing on an open thread is really uncool - my wife might see! It's going to be hard enough explaining to her what I meant when I said that there were 'loads' of 'reasonably' priced child seats that would 'fit' in the back according to the other dad's on rennlist and because it had a 'trunk' it really was a practical car - let alone also having to explain to her what I meant when I said 'services really don't cost that much more'.
lol. mad respect to anyone able to maintain a wife AND a used porsche. both have their expenses
Old 03-21-2014, 12:29 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Front spoiler lip, u can do it yourself, and its easy. Don't buy from Porsche, its over $400. Here is an exact replacement and is identical.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...ectorid=229466

Just be aware that the C4S lip is different than the turbo. The link above shows the turbo lip spoiler.

Last edited by Kevinmacd; 03-21-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:32 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

02996ttx50 - you can say that again!
Old 03-21-2014, 12:57 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
02996ttx50 - you can say that again!
much as i spend on this car!? i refer to it AS my wife and kids
Old 03-21-2014, 01:13 PM
911-AL
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 74 Posts

here's a good thread on mixed feelings about sumitumos. Every 996TT owner that I know has used them and has given positive feedback.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...996-turbo.html
Old 03-25-2014, 12:32 PM
mig.
Advanced

Oh boy if you guys new the half of this story to date you'd be beside yourselves in disbelief – I'll let you in on some of it for fun; I bought the car from my sofa here in Hong Kong from a guy in Florida. My drivers license expired while we've been in Hong Kong but my wife's is still good till August. To get the car registered we've needed to put it under her name and because she's here too we had to have the title sent here, have power of attorney forms notarized (by the US Consulate) and send the whole shebang back so our peeps in the States could register it under her name on, well, my behalf. That little charade was 200 bucks right there and as you might expect raised an eyebrow, more so as she had to go to the Consulate – not me. And it gets better as they peep helping me at the other end is her father! So my wife swears that he's not a sports car guy and not interested in such things but when your luck changes and a paid for, insured Turbo more or less falls out of the sky it would be hard to imagine how you wouldn't suddenly become interested. He's cleared out the garage, polished the car, checked all the tires (add noted the missing magazine for the CD changer!) and filled the tank. As soon as he has the plates both he and the car will be gone for sure! Good for him.

Now I wonder if he looks back at the time I asked for her hand in marriage and now thinks what a pretty good deal that turned out to be And I didn't mention my wife has no love for p-cars or stick shifts for that matter. And that's just the some of it.

Anyway so I found a set of carbon fiber dash sections in gray leather on eBay just now for 600 bucks. I'm disappointed that the seller hasn't put much effort into his sales pitch (actually if I'm being honest he's put no effort) and I'm worried that he won't sell them as quickly as he's hoping. I might recommend a few lines he could use – maybe "in pristine condition when new" or "slight cosmetic damage otherwise perfect" or "absolutely no rust" maybe even "leather in good condition" - you know, create a distraction from the important part that is in crap condition! I've linked to a his picture below. Yours would have to be in pretty terrible condition for this to be an improvement. I'll keep looking around.

I saw that add for the lip on Ebay previously and wasn't convinced given how it looks a bit flimsy in the standalone photo. Looks alright in the photo's of it attached to the cars though, you know - if those are actual photos of it attached to the cars. Kevin– to see it suggested by another rennlisted has got me interested and for the price I might go ahead and take a gamble on that part (and my father in law to install it). If anyone thinks different I'd love the advice. I'll post back if I go ahead… .

And on gambling we're going to stick with the old tires for now and research the Sumo's in the meantime. I did budget a set of Pilot's when I agreed the sale price and I'm kinda hoping that someone throws up a nice no-brainer deal for a set of hollow-twists already shod with good rubber while I'm thinking.

Quick Reply: 5 years in storage too long?