Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear sways on 996TT?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 01:08 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here some information I have put together.

Eibach (hollow) 996 GT3:
Front: 24mm adjustable
Rear: 19mm adjustable

Eibach (hollow) 996 Turbo:
Front: 24mm, non-adjustable
Rear: 24mm, 3 way adjustable

H&R (solid) 996 Turbo:
Front: 25mm, 3 way adjustable

Factory (hollow) 996 Turbo:
Front: 24mm non-adjustable
Rear: 21.7mm non-adjustable

Factory (hollow) 996 GT3:
Front: 26.7mm, 5 way adjustable
Rear: 20.8mm, 4 way adjustable
Old 02-20-2014, 01:11 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by puma
Anyone knows what kind of swaybar support you need to use the rear GT3 bar? I just wanted to install mine and the GT3 is smaller than the stock one, should i buy GT3 bushings?
The GT3 bar comes with the correct bushings. You can also buy the bushings separately
Old 02-20-2014, 01:22 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Make sure you install adjustable front and rear drop links.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:22 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,567 Posts

Originally Posted by 996TWINS
Here some information I have put together.

Eibach (hollow) 996 GT3:
Front: 24mm adjustable
Rear: 19mm adjustable

Eibach (hollow) 996 Turbo:
Front: 24mm, non-adjustable

H&R (solid) 996 Turbo:
Front: 25mm, 3 way adjustable

Factory (hollow) 996 Turbo:
Front: 24mm non-adjustable
Rear: 21.7mm non-adjustable

Factory (hollow) 996 GT3:
Front: 26.7mm, 5 way adjustable
Rear: 20.8mm, 4 way adjustable
Thanks for the info. Also there are great hollow bars adjustable front and rear made by GMG.

http://www.gmgracing.com/store/index...l-bar-set.html

Everyone needs to remember that the adjustable GT3 front bar will not work on an AWD Turbo.

What bars to you get stock with a GT2?
Old 02-20-2014, 04:40 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Everyone needs to remember that the adjustable GT3 front bar will not work on an AWD Turbo.

I have the GT3 front bar on my AWD Turbo. I use the curved TRG front drop links that are specific for the 996TT.

IIRC the GT2 and GT3 bars are the same for front and rear.

Last edited by 996TWINS; 02-20-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:13 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran the H&R rear sway with JIC coilovers as my only suspension mods for about 4 years. Ran the car at GT2 ride height front and rear. Still could'nt get all of the understeer out. But with those mods only the car turned some incredible times.

In my experience, not even the H&R sway can kill all of the understeer associated with the 996 Turbo. You can get rid of turn in understeer, but mid corner and exit power understeer would still be present unless you just made the car unbearably twichy with high rear spring rates or a ton of rake.

But for a beginning platform, I liked it a lot.

K24, Tune, Exhaust, JIC, H&R rear only at full weight the car turned a 1:32.6 at Road Atlanta and 1:40.0 at Barber on MPSC. This was 2007.

To this day, hardly any cars running that time on basic R-comps at Road Atlanta.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:43 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996TWINS
I have the GT3 front bar on my AWD Turbo. I use the curved TRG front drop links that are specific for the 996TT.

IIRC the GT2 and GT3 bars are the same for front and rear.
Good to know you can use TRG links to make a GT3 front bar work with AWD, thanks.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:57 AM
SEAFORE
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great discussion, I will report on H&R coilover change once I complete it (waiting on toe links to proceed). Since there is almost no info on this RSS clubsport coilover product that I have been able to find, I will also put together a DIY. I am guessing every 'system' will be slightly different. The previous comment about the front and rear spring rates for both magnitude and difference between F/R may make a significant impact in overall balance and understeer. I have the rear H&R sway, so if understeer is not gone after the first track event, I may try this addition.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:25 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Good to know you can use TRG links to make a GT3 front bar work with AWD, thanks.
You are welcome.

When making suspension changes (lowering springs, coil overs), get a full set of adjustable drop links.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:18 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info. Also there are great hollow bars adjustable front and rear made by GMG.

http://www.gmgracing.com/store/index...l-bar-set.html

The GMG bars are made by Eibach.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:03 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by powdrhound
The GMG bars are made by Eibach.
Yes but they are not the same bars Eibach sells under the Eibach brand. The GMG bars are GMG's own personal design. The GMG branded bars are far superior to the Eibach branded bars.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:42 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Yes but they are not the same bars Eibach sells under the Eibach brand. The GMG bars are GMG's own personal design. The GMG branded bars are far superior to the Eibach branded bars.
I didn't say they were the same a Eibach. GMG claims their bars are stiffer than stock GT3 bars but I don't know how that relates to the regular Eibachs. Stiffer sway bars however are not always the answer. Stiff bars are generally a bandaid for an under sprung or a poorly set up suspension. If you have a properly set up suspension then the sways bars are there to fine tune the handling to your liking or changing it to varying conditions. To say that GMGs are "far superior" to the regular Eibachs or to the GT2/3 bars is a stretch at best. Everyone that sells their "own design" bars will naturally tout them as superior. Marketing 101....
Old 02-23-2014, 08:52 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

... To say that GMGs are "far superior" to the regular Eibachs or to the GT2/3 bars is a stretch at best. Everyone that sells their "own design" bars will naturally tout them as superior. Marketing 101....
+1. Getting through the hype, what ever works best for you is superior.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:13 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I didn't say they were the same a Eibach. GMG claims their bars are stiffer than stock GT3 bars but I don't know how that relates to the regular Eibachs. Stiffer sway bars however are not always the answer. Stiff bars are generally a bandaid for an under sprung or a poorly set up suspension. If you have a properly set up suspension then the sways bars are there to fine tune the handling to your liking or changing it to varying conditions. To say that GMGs are "far superior" to the regular Eibachs or to the GT2/3 bars is a stretch at best. Everyone that sells their "own design" bars will naturally tout them as superior. Marketing 101....
I never said the GMGs were far superior to the OEM Porsche GT2/3 bars. You are putting GMG's words in my mouth. So who is the victim of marketing 101?......

I said they are superior to the crappy bars Eibach sells. Not because GMG's website tells me so but because I know a few people who tried Eibach bars and replaced them with H&Rs or GMGs and were much more satisfied.

This thread is all about relaying our personal experiences with tuning the handling of an AWD Turbo. There are many many ways to do it, springs, coil overs, struts, lowering roll centers, more negative camber........ This thread just happened to focus in on bars. I have relayed my experience and you have a relayed yours. It is was it is. As 996TWINS wrote whatever work best for an individual is what is best.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:40 PM
SEAFORE
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H&R RSS Clubsport installation

OK-I finally have some comments from my install.

As previously noted, I was unable to find much at all about the H&R RSS. I took the plunge because I thought this product seemed to be the best track oriented product at a reasonable price point.

Brief summary-Installed the fronts by removal of the 2 ball joints. I was able to leave drive shaft attached, never removed the brakes. It is a load to control and work the coil over in/out, but it works with very little disassembly. Sounds easy, it is not!

Rear install is very easy compared to front.

No instructions with the product, no help from distributor, called H&R directly and they kindly answered all questions. This was key to knowing how to setup, and for a rookie like me, knowing what questions to ask prior to install was difficult but I got through it.

Adjustable rear toe links are mandatory, the Rennline I got were very nice. The H&R kit came with non-adjustable drop links which I used. I realize many feel adjustable are highly preferred. Purchased a rear sway because I expected I would want to add stiffer rear sway, did not use it.

There was an issue with front strut nut thread length. The product was usable but resulted in limited adjustability. I believe this may be a small lot or single issue, but not sure. I was able to adjust to just below GT3 ride height-looks awesome. After finding the problem and discussing with H&R directly, they took care of everything including expedited shipping from Germany and covered all shipping. Outstanding customer service from H&R!!!

Results..The RSS product is exactly what I expected. The ride is very firm, but what I wanted. Track time after alignment and corner balance. With this mod and also the addition of R888's, lap times at the first track event were 8-9% lower than the year before. (I had one track event prior to RSS install but with R888's and there was little or no improvement because of loose OEM suspension-too much tire to handle.) In any case, the RSS product made a very significant difference, not only in lap times, but I can now feel the car. I could drive much faster and still felt much more comfortable. The comparison to others I previously drove with on-track was dramatic, they are all looking for solutions to catch up... I believe the car to be very neutral now, and it will probably take me several additional track events to fully decide. For now I am not installing sways.

Driving around town is awesome in my opinion-go kart like. It is a must to be on the lookout for chuck holes, don't want to hit one with this suspension. Highway driving is great on smooth surfaces, actually much better than OEM, until you hit a bad patch. Driving on rough roads is not fun, but I never do that in my car anyway.

All in all, I highly recommend this product for those who want a very stiff and controlled ride and excellent track performance. (I am a group 3-4 DE kind of guy and that is probably all I will ever need.) As noted H&R support was awesome, and that is good to know for someone thinking about their products. I have no comparison to other coil overs for this car. Hope this helps anyone considering an upgrade!

Quick Reply: Rear sways on 996TT?