Sponsored by:

Good feeling gone ... 996 turbo oil leaks

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 01:32 PM
whiteturbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak

Almost all these cars will smoke form time to time. It is not overfilled with oil what does the gauge read?
Old 11-20-2013, 03:04 PM
LLTurbo
Advanced

That "quote" came out strange ... still learning how to use this site. Thanks all for helpful thoughts ... and will stop sweating the oil ....

Swung by P Dealer today and service advisor saw above picture and said he sees this a lot on turbos ... recommended as did thomapa1 and others that I put a few hundred more miles on it before they check it out. Given that it didn't get a lot of drive time in past year, said things could seal up a bit and thought that 5W oil that was put in will help. Said if there is a leak it could be 3-5k in work ... not great, but not end of the world.

Good feeling coming back!!! Thx all.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:05 PM
LLTurbo
Advanced

Originally Posted by whiteturbo
Almost all these cars will smoke form time to time. It is not overfilled with oil what does the gauge read?
It's now at second bar from top and barely any white smoke at start-up this morning.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:20 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Good thing to keep in mind, if you run your TT hard make sure you wait in a idle state for no less than 1 minute before turning the car off. This allows the oil flow over the turbo bearing to cool down the bearing and prolong the seals. Even if I run the car at non hard driving speeds I wait a little bit before turning the car off.
The cold startup smoke issue at times is due to the configuration of the metzer engine as a flat six.

Quick Reply: Good feeling gone ... 996 turbo oil leaks