Sponsored by:

my Z06 experience (kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 01:52 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default my Z06 experience (kinda long)

A few weeks ago, one of my friends who is a lawyer called me looking for someone to buy a client's car who needed to sell in a hurry. The car is a silver 2006 Z06 with the 2LZ package (loaded basically). It had a "few mods" from a reputable Corvette specialty place, and reputed to put out around 550rwhp.

I shopped it to a few friends, and one of them bought it for a good price for both parties. When he got it, he was absolutely thrilled with it (still is) and has been begging me to take it for a few days as a thank you for helping him find it. So, here's my thoughts on it:

What I found out about when I picked it up was that it had the following mods:
Reworked Heads and Cams
Headers
Computer Tweak
Borla Exhaust
ZR1 Wheels
Upgraded Clutch
Stock Suspension

As I pressed the start button on the car my first thought was, "MY GOD THIS THING IS LOUD." I had to scream to myself because I was going deaf. I also noticed the cam made the whole car shake at idle. When cold, the car is twitchy, and bucks a lot at lower RPM.

When warm, it's still dreadfully loud, but rediculously fast. It will absolutely break traction in 4th gear at full throttle on newer Michelin Pilot SS. As for handling, I like the stock Z06 suspension, it's flat, and fairly predictable. The shifter is a little vague, and could use a little shorter throw, but that's just me. I know that folks claim the seats are terrible, but I didn't find them to be too hateful.

So why would I post this on a Porsche 996TT board? Mainly because I have come to the realization just how important it is to have a well built/tuned package to keep a car from being not equal to the sum of its parts. I was stunned at how bad the exhaust worked with the car, the drone was unbelieveable at cruise speeds, but certainly sounded good at full throttle.

Perhaps the biggest impression I got was on the tuning side. The car's tune was clearly not a streetable package even though the company claims it as such. I'm grateful for the tuners of the Porsche world (Kevin in my case) seem to have a better grasp on this most important facet.

Mods done well are a lot of fun. Mods done haphazardly can create what I drove this weekend! I just reinforced to myself two things: either pay more and buy a car stock that you absolutely love, or pick a tuner who develops whole packages that work together in seamless faction.

Of course, YMMV
Old 09-04-2013, 02:02 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Scott, thanks for the write-up. After all most of us are just car nuts, so any discussion about HP cars is a good one. I never get why there are any haters out there...
Old 09-04-2013, 06:49 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

really, its what choices the owner makes. corvette tuners are plenty capable of making streetable high power cars. but when the owner wants a huge cam and na power of course its more difficult.

you have the benefit of twin turbos. on a c6, you could have a twin turbo 700rwhp that drives perfectly.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:11 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
really, its what choices the owner makes. corvette tuners are plenty capable of making streetable high power cars. but when the owner wants a huge cam and na power of course its more difficult.

you have the benefit of twin turbos. on a c6, you could have a twin turbo 700rwhp that drives perfectly.
I remember driving a C5 Z06 and comparing it to my my then current 996tt as being junk. I don't reel that way about an unmodded C6 at all. Even though the two cars aren't priced the same, are the 996tt and c6 z06 natural rivals?
Old 09-04-2013, 08:32 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott
Even though the two cars aren't priced the same, are the 996tt and c6 z06 natural rivals?
Not in my book. Not even close.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:12 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have owned quite a few corvettes but they were older 60s thru 70s but have driven the newer models and they just don't push my buttons.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:36 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by CincyScott
I remember driving a C5 Z06 and comparing it to my my then current 996tt as being junk. I don't reel that way about an unmodded C6 at all. Even though the two cars aren't priced the same, are the 996tt and c6 z06 natural rivals?
well, performance was not leagues apart, but considering the turbo costs over twice what the corvette does, obviously there should be some areas where it excels. I do believe they were cross shopped to some extent though
Old 09-05-2013, 02:42 PM
tailwind22
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned both, and Porsche is by far and away my favorite. However, Excellence did a shoot out in 2010 with a GT2 and the Corvette turned better lap times. That may be the only measure where the Vette comes up on top.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:28 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

well, performance was not leagues apart, but considering the turbo costs over twice what the corvette does, obviously there should be some areas where it excels.
The majority of the price difference is just Porsche's profit margin, not the actual cost of building either the objective or subjective advantages the Turbo has over the Vette.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dock
The majority of the price difference is just Porsche's profit margin, not the actual cost of building either the objective or subjective advantages the Turbo has over the Vette.
whats the margin like on a 996TT?

Price difference is in the neighborhood of about $50k, no?
Old 09-06-2013, 01:02 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

whats the margin like on a 996TT?
I've seen reports that the production cost of the 997 Turbo was only ~$10k more than the production cost of the Boxster.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:40 PM
BT ZR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or a Supercharged ZR1
Old 09-16-2013, 01:32 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Always fun to read about a car with a lot of hair on it :-) thanks for the post!
Old 09-16-2013, 04:34 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

Trying to decide if I want to buy a 996 Turbo so I'm snooping around here.

I spent some time in my brother-in-laws new to him 2007 Z06 and it was not like what you described.
It had an aftermarket exhaust which was rumbling at any speed, but when you hit it it wasn't much louder than my 86 911.

I felt the car was pretty civilized actually.

Apparently these cars have problems with dropping valves hence having the cams and heads done at the same time. You know, while we're in here would you like more horsepower?$?

Rather have a 911 ......
Old 09-16-2013, 07:34 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What Dock said........................not even close.

But if YOU think it is get a 'vette!

No one is arguing.

Quick Reply: my Z06 experience (kinda long)