Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on dealer service prices: Is this dealer trying to take owners for a ride?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 04:14 PM
mtpcpa
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on dealer service prices: Is this dealer trying to take owners for a ride?

Hi All,

Have been thinking about a couple of upgrades/modifications for my 2003 996 Turbo (purchased a year a go CPO with 15K miles, have since flashed the UMW).

Planned upgrades include PSS10 suspension, GT3 Shifter and modifications include replacing the yellow fender lights with EU smoke version.

So I went to my local dealer, New Country Porsche of Greenwich, CT, to inquire about how much they'd charge to do an oil change and install the above.

Here is what they said:

$560 for 15K mile service (I have 20K miles on the car, and this service includes change, air (including pollen?) and oil filters, and multipoint inspection)

$1,400 PSS10 Install (excluding alignment, which is another $289.95; dealer represented that it takes 8 hours to perform this install without the alignment.

$700 to GT3 Shifter Install (dealer represented it takes 4 hours to perform this)

Now I'm not cheap and happy to pay a fair price if it really takes that much time, but the above times and prices seem a bit much, especially since the dealer is trying to get more service business from people looking to modify their cars. I mean when I first went there and inquired about the shifter install, the service manager's reflexive response was 3 hours----as in, if you want us to do anything in this shop, you'll be paying a minimum of 3 hours time---before he checked with the mechanic and came back with 4 hours.

Can anyone please advise on whether the above is reasonable, and if not, whether there are any reputable independent contractors in Fairfield County, Connecticut or Westchester, NY?

Also, any other service replacements I should be thinking about in light that it's a 2003 with 20K miles and UMW tune? Plugs. coil packs, diverter valves?

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-02-2013, 04:45 PM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The shifter installation takes less than an hour.
Hopefully, someone local to you will recommend a good indy in your area. If not, start a new thread with this as the title:

"Looking for a good indy shop in the Fairfield County, Connecticut or Westchester, NY area"
Old 09-02-2013, 06:01 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Dealers typically charge book time, regardless of how much time it takes them. Your best bet is to find a good reputable INDY who charges actual time.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:22 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just had my car aligned at local Porsche dealer $200.Changed my oil, air and cabin filters etc myself a very easy diy.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:56 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

RAC (formerly Ruf), where I get my stuff done, charges the following (working from memory):

Oil change = $189
Alignment = $169
Shifter install (I just did this) = $150 (dealer wanted $400)

Not sure about the suspension work, but so far I have found that the local dealers basically charge twice what RAC is charging. Don't know how they get it - maybe if there were no alternatives, but that's not the case around here. Hopefully you can find a good indy.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:23 AM
gillie
Instructor

Hey Bro,
Greenwich CT is Deep Pockets country. Hedge Fund heaven. The very last place to go for fair pricing
for any high end car service.

Dan Jacobs (Hairy Dog Garage) in Oxford is top notch and most reasonable. About 40 minute
drive but you and your turbo will be delighted. I know I was!
Old 09-04-2013, 09:47 AM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 251 Posts

At ten years old I'd do the equivalent of a major 60K service and establish yourself a solid base line. Change all fluids such as coolant, gear oils, motor oil and brake fluid plus do the plugs, coil packs, all filters including fuel filter and maybe the serpentine belt. I can't help you on the cost of these as I DYI them but save yourself a ton of money and find an indie. Those quoted prices are exorbitant!
Old 09-04-2013, 06:54 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mtpcpa
$560 for 15K mile service (I have 20K miles on the car, and this service includes change, air (including pollen?) and oil filters, and multipoint inspection)
not bad. in fact far less than a minor svc out here. it can up to 800$-$1k! for a "minor" service at a dealership and the "major" eg 90k service can be up to $2000.00 at a dealer and it isn't much more comprehensive than a minor svc. excepting plugs/coils, possibly gear oil flush iirc.

$700 to GT3 Shifter Install (dealer represented it takes 4 hours to perform this)
outrageous. an hour book time TOPS! particularly if they are doing other work for you. my tech installed a ssk outside in the dark in 20 mins. tops.

$1,400 PSS10 Install (excluding alignment, which is another $289.95; dealer represented that it takes 8 hours to perform this install without the alignment.
it's closer to six incl alignment but "book time" is probably 8 hours, so. welcome to the porsche dealership. they'll do it in 6 and charge ya for 8.

Also, any other service replacements I should be thinking about in light that it's a 2003 with 20K miles and UMW tune? Plugs. coil packs, diverter valves?
you shouldn't ( need ) to do that before 30k. dv's only as needed; or for perfomance gains or should they fail. cheap to replace.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:01 PM
sprinky911
Intermediate

Add Content
Old 09-04-2013, 10:43 PM
mtpcpa
AutoX

Thanks much for the insights everyone. Appreciate it, and will check out the local indie's around here starting with Dan Jacobs. Like the idea of doing the 60K service to get a solid baseline and will price that out and advise on what I learn...
Old 09-05-2013, 11:02 AM
gillie
Instructor

Dan Jacobs---great choice. I wish I dealt with him before my 996TT.

Quick Reply: Question on dealer service prices: Is this dealer trying to take owners for a ride?