Sponsored by:

Thinking about buying a 996TT with 110k miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 06:17 PM
America
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thinking about buying a 996TT with 110k miles

Usually I don't but high mile cars, but I have a trade in and it would be a even swap. Car is a 01 996TT with 110k miles. Car's appearance look good and appear to have all the service records. I know these cars are bullet proof when service and maintained regularly. Any issues that this car should of have address already? Any issues that might be an issue later? Haven't had a Pcar for a while, so just trying to fulfill my itch. Would most likely use this car as my commuter and maybe track days.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:15 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heard of one with some 300k + miles around and my 03 only has 29k so not sure what they need at higher miles but I hear they do seem to hold up like a Honda motor with high miles so long as they have been LOVED. Good Luck and enjoy!
Old 05-27-2013, 09:17 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

they need maintenenance and replacement of parts that fail, over time. beyond that, they need to be driven regularly. i just drove about 150 miles of national park canyons and hit happily 104,500 miles in this one. my only regret is there is virtually no resale value. my 993 is worth 20k more than my turbo
Old 05-27-2013, 09:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by America
Usually I don't but high mile cars, but I have a trade in and it would be a even swap. Car is a 01 996TT with 110k miles. Car's appearance look good and appear to have all the service records. I know these cars are bullet proof when service and maintained regularly. Any issues that this car should of have address already? Any issues that might be an issue later? Haven't had a Pcar for a while, so just trying to fulfill my itch. Would most likely use this car as my commuter and maybe track days.
The short answer is any issues that have come up. And any issues that can appear in the future can be almost anything.

There are the normal wear and tear items, but as the miles accumulate almost all items become wear items.

All you can do is make sure you buy a good car with no current issues and then as the issues come up take care of them.

To do a good job of this requires you pay attention to the car. So often a used car buyer has the assumption like a new car he can just drift along and the car will take care of itself.

Be sure you treat your prospective Turbo purchase like it deserves to be treated, like a used car.

Check it out thoroughly.

Visit the car cold and be sure when you turn on the key all warning lights come on then go off as the engine starts and runs.

Let the engine idle and give it a good listen as it warms up. Ideally you want to let the engine idle until it is warm enough to check the oil level. This can take 10 or more minutes.

Have the seller take you on a test ride and pay attention to the car. Leave your cell phone off. Focus on the car.

Insist the route offer the driver the opportunity use the car in a variety of scenarios. You want to experience as a passenger the car as you will use the car if you buy it.

Back at the starting point you take the car out as the driver and cover the same route, drive the car the same way.

Afterwards if you have found nothing to reject the car for give the car's subsystems a thorough check out. Assume nothing works until you verify it does work.

There is too much to cover here as to what to check for. Sure the lights, A/C and so on are self-explanatory.

But for a manual car there's the clutch. 'course you verify it doesn't slip while you are driving the car, but how about the accumulator?

You check this by with the engine off by fully depressing then releasing the clutch pedal. You count the cycles. If you do not count very many before the pedal gets hard the accumulator is suspect.

Not a big deal you think? Well, it can run $1K to put right.

Hear a faint high pitched whistle after the car some to a stop? A valve in the power steering tank is bad. New tank time. Cost? Another $1K or more.

While you may not think it a big deal say the spoiler light comes on and the seller dismisses it as a micro-switch. Well it could be a switch. Or the switch could be giving an early warning the spoiler (hydraulic system) is going bad. This can be a $2K repair bill if you want to put the car back to factory.

Four new tires can run nearly $2K. If their wear patterns are odd it can mean an alignment. Or steering or suspension work.

Just the front air dam can run nearly $400 in parts cost alone to replace.

Remember these cars cost $120K or more new and they are not cheap to buy parts for. Also, my dealer doesn't drop its $150/hour labor rate when my 03 Turbo needs service or work.

Anyhow, after your checkout if you still like the car, if you believe you can make a deal arrange to have the car PPI'd.

At this time then the person can check the car over for any leaks, among other things. That 15 mile test ride followed by a 15 mile test drive should be enough for any leak to make itself known.

While there may be little issues you have to know or whoever does the PPI must know they are little issues.

If the car has serious issues or too many little issues walk away.

There is always another car.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
they need maintenenance and replacement of parts that fail, over time. beyond that, they need to be driven regularly. i just drove about 150 miles of national park canyons and hit happily 104,500 miles in this one. my only regret is there is virtually no resale value. my 993 is worth 20k more than my turbo
108127 miles on my 03. Runs just as good today at it did when I bought it with barely 10K miles on it.

Have no idea what it worth but I don't care. Best car ever.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:04 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
108127 miles on my 03. Runs just as good today at it did when I bought it with barely 10K miles on it.

Have no idea what it worth but I don't care. Best car ever.
awesome, macster.. it's crazy how well they run, agreed.. and i love the hi mileage stories as i AM ONE but the value of mine is also incalculable, given my drive today. in other unrelated news, i also would like to nominate you for sainthood for the accuracy and detail of many of your posts you willingly share with folks here. unless of course you have them all on white paper(s). lol

all kidding aside, it is a great thing you do.. helping i mean. cheers.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a 996TT with 110k miles