Sponsored by:

GT2 Front Top Air Vent/Grill On Stock 996 Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 04:01 PM
ferraristyle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT2 Front Top Air Vent/Grill On Stock 996 Bumper

I love the look of the GT2 bumper on our cars, particularly the middle vent below the crest. However I'm unwilling to do the complete redue of ducting and bumper replacement to convert the front of a stock 996 turbo to a GT2 look, especially with all the functional ducting that would be needed.

That being said, I was wondering if its possible to somehow mod the stock 996 turbo bumper to accept the GT2 top/middle air grill (the one below the crest) without replacing the entire bumper. Is it possible to cut and add or no? Has anyone done this? Links?

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:29 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

theres one for sale on 6speed
Old 05-22-2013, 05:03 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

There is functional ducting associated with the diffuser on the top of the bumper.

Last edited by wross996tt; 05-24-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:11 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wross996tt
There is no functional ducting associated with the diffuser on the top of the bumper.
isnt there a center duct that attaches to the tilted center radiator that forces the air thru the rad and out the center grilles?
Old 05-22-2013, 06:14 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
isnt there a center duct that attaches to the tilted center radiator that forces the air thru the rad and out the center grilles?
Not that I know of...it is not for venting purposes actually it is for improved down force. They are called diffusers not vents...LOL
Old 05-22-2013, 06:59 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Not that I know of...it is not for venting purposes actually it is for improved down force. They are called diffusers not vents...LOL
this is what i was referring to. ductwork flows the air thru the rad out over the hood improving downforce. need all this ductwork to make it happen
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...anceCheck2.jpg
Old 05-22-2013, 09:17 PM
ferraristyle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I stated, I'm not/not looking into replacing the entire front bumper. My question was if there is a mod to the STOCK bumper that can be performed such as cutting and installing the diffuser . I'm just doing it for the cosmetics, I could care less about the functionality.

Wondering if anyone has performed this or if there is a kit available to do this.

Furthermore, it appears that the ducting and airflow to the radiators thru the main vents is different then a reg turbo, several threads on this, which is another reason I don't just want to put on a different bumper cover.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:41 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
isn't there a center duct that attaches to the tilted center radiator that forces the air thru the rad and out the center grilles?
There is most definitely ducting (996 575 325 30) that routes the air from the back of the center radiator out through the top of the bumper grille which is how it generates down force. I've never seen it called a diffuser before.

Anyhow, I supposed one could install the upper frame (996 575 326 30) if they were super handy with fiberglass. You'd have to cut out the bumper for the frame and glass in tabs and/or a lip to bolt the frame to. My concern would be getting a perfect jig set up so when you did the glass work the bumper cover is sitting it its exact shape and not distorted. Being as these bumper covers are pretty flexible this could be a challenge. What I've done when glassing these type of bumpers is to use a slow setting epoxy so you have about twenty minutes or so. I do the glassing and then install the bumper before the epoxy sets so the bumper is in its proper shape.

If you're willing to risk ruining an expensive bumper and you are good with glassing and filling then I'd say its doable.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:11 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by sanyata
There is most definitely ducting (996 575 325 30) that routes the air from the back of the center radiator out through the top of the bumper grille which is how it generates down force. I've never seen it called a diffuser before.
see here

Some call it a splitter (though I believe this is also what folks call the component attached beneath the bumper or a lip), some diffuser...what ever. The "slats" do indeed allow air to come from underneath, but I believe it is Bernoulli's principle that creates the down force...The air on top of the car, just above the boundary layer, is travelling fast and creating a down force reducing low pressure zone on top of the car. A diffuser is a piece that attempts to slow, or spoil, the fast air on top of the car, in-turn reducing the low pressure zone and provides downforce instead.

And the stock bumper is polyurethane...

Last edited by wross996tt; 05-23-2013 at 01:40 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:27 AM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

if you would look at my first post theres a oem bumper with the slats installed just like your looking for
Old 05-23-2013, 10:32 AM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 259 Posts

see here

Some call it a splitter (though I believe this is also what folks call the component attached beneath the bumper or a lip), some diffuser...what ever. The "slats" do indeed allow air to come from underneath, but I believe it is Bernoulli's principle that creates the down force...The air on top of the car, just above the boundary layer, is travelling fast and creating a down force reducing low pressure zone on top of the car. A diffuser is a piece that attempts to slow, or spoil, the fast air on top of the car, in-turn reducing the low pressure zone and provides downforce instead.

And the stock bumper is polyurethane...
Well I'm not smart enough to know how the aerodynamics function. I just know the duct work that gets replaced when switching to a GT2 bumper reroutes the air that passes through the center radiator from exiting under the car to exiting through that upper center frame (splitter, diffuser, etc.). I just figure that creates down force. The frame is flush with the hood but the bumper has a little raised lip in front of the frame so maybe that disturbs the air as you suggest.

The OP wants to attempt modding his stock polyurethane bumper so using epoxy would be a good bonding and molding material. I don't think I'd ever do this as the time and expense involved wouldn't be worth it IMO. Plus I just think it wouldn't look proper and be a mismatch with the rest of the bumper design.

OP, here's a pic of the back side of a GT2 bumper so you can see how the frame fits. Hope this helps.

Name:  backside.jpg
Views: 3782
Size:  1,016.4 KB
Old 05-24-2013, 05:45 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Couldn't you tape off the top of the bumper, mark out the vent shapes, and very carefully Dremel out the holes.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:04 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just went gt2....balanced the wing out well....I thought of this cosmetic option for about a minute as it was cool looking, but I am a function guy...

Jeff
Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2013, 11:52 AM
C5Driver951
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The center duct on the GT2 bumper setup changes where the air that goes through the center radiator is routed. I know this as my car has a functional GT2 front cover on it, and changed the parts out to complete the ducting myself.

The inner fender wells are different, the bracing for the radiators is different, and the ducting behind the center radiator ducts up vs down.

Quick Reply: GT2 Front Top Air Vent/Grill On Stock 996 Bumper