Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering problem on my TT

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 11:16 PM
rkellison
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mystery solved. Here is what I did. I visually inspected the high and low pressure lines from the pump to the rack/pinion and back. No crimps, pinched lines or other issues. Pulled the fuse for the ignition so the engine would not start. Removed the low pressure (return) line from the reservoir and attached a clear hose to a container. Roll the engine over a few times and no pentosin, no green goo, no lime kool aid. There are 2 connectors under the car about the location of the driver's seat. I loosened the low pressure line and let the pentosin drip out into a catch pan. Roll the engine over a few times and no pentosin. OK, game on. I loosened the high pressure line enough to drip a little. Once again roll the engine and here comes the green goo spewing out. Well, we have pressure that far up to the front. Tighten up the HP line and move on to the Rack. Both the HP and LP lines are held in place by a single bolt-yoke combination. I pulled the LP connection out and secured the HP line. Again, roll the engine no pentosin. Ok, not much left here so I pull off the HP line and roll the engine. Damm, no pentosin. In the end of the HP line at the rack, there appears to be a backflow check valve. I assume it is to prevent, wait for it, BACKFLOW!. Only in this case it is a flow preventer. It is stuck. No flow in any direction. Looks like I have another parts order in my future.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:31 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

your mention of the car being a tip. i wonder if the lines or setup for the pump is any different.. given the tip should'nt have any need to "share" the pentosin for the clutch hydraulics? as in the mt cars. in any event, i laud your perserverance and that you are able to sort this on your own.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:27 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad you kept after it that's what I do and eventually I find the problem.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:01 PM
rkellison
Advanced

The tip version does not have the HP and LP lines for the clutch system as in a MT. It is simpler in that respect. Got the new line on order. Now back to NAV unit upgrade.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:27 PM
rkellison
Advanced

Waiting on the replacement high pressure line to arrive and I started looking at how to get the old one out and the new one in. It looks to be a major task. There is no room to pull the old one out and et the replacement in unless the cooling lines are pulled out. Does anyone have any experience in replacing the front high pressure power steering hose? Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:32 PM
rkellison
Advanced

No help? Is it possible that I am the first to ever change the front HP power steering hose?
Old 06-11-2013, 03:44 PM
rkellison
Advanced

Just for anyone who comes up against this. It is not possible to replace the high pressure power steering line in the front without removing the coolant lines that are in the way. Unless..... The replacement host that I got came from a dismantler. The end that connects to the rack and pinion is normally curved into a U shape. The one that I was sent was unbent into a curve. It is likely that is what the dismantler did to get it out. I cut off the end of the old one to preserve the bends and pulled it out in 2 parts. I slid the replacement in from the back to the front and snaked it behind the front hub. Once in, I re-bent it to the same shape as the original. It is a plastic coated aluminum tubing so bend it slow and easy back into the original shape. Once I got it reformed, connected it back up and presto done! While doing all this you might want to remove the rubber and nylon seals and tape up the ends to prevent damage and contamination. All told, 2 hours and no more boiling pentosin..
Old 10-09-2023, 08:47 PM
Smg944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thread. I Came across this same issue, and with our cars getting older I’m sure it will come up more and more. Most people go right for the pump or reservoir but this check valve / back flow valve on the high pressure line right at the edge of the rack can be an issue as well.

my particular issue was no power steering but it was joined with a very noisy pump and the pentosin starting to boil and slightly smoke at the pump.

Quick Reply: Power Steering problem on my TT