Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

input needed on price point. .

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 01:37 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

i borrowed this from another tire debate thread: i thought it was germane to my argument that hankooks aren't nearly the tire ps2's are for traction. its lifted from a guy with a 997t name of cannga that posts eloquenly on topics such as these. so with attribution his point:

For the sake of discussion, with respect to traction, one does NOT have to go at extreme high speed to appreciate the increased in traction of a tire. The key is the limit of adhesion regardless of speed. Say there is 30 mph corner, and now you start to slowly increase your speed in this curve, to 35, to 40, to 50. A street tire will break adhesion at an earlier speed than R compound, say 40 vs. 50. You don't have to be Shumacher to appreciate the difference in traction. Do be careful and only test limits once you have some time with the tire and the car though - slow in fast out applies regardless of skill level.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

02996ttx50 - poor example, the Hankooks have the same specs as the Michelins, we are not comparing different tire desiginaions as mentioned in your reference! We are comparing the same characteristics as for each brand! Traction designations AA, heat A, sidewall plies 3, both are radials "R", both have the same load rating, and both have the same speed rating! So with that said I don't follow your logic why you posted what you did!

The post you quoted is correct when the tire designations are different! In this case both brands have the same designations!

You seem to think the Hankooks are flimsy yet you have no clue since you never tried them. Funny the Hankooks even posted higher G forces! How do you explain that! Care to share with me why you call them flimsy, when you have never even tried them? Do you even know what the designations are on the tire, by my guess you don't know anything about tire designations and specs!
If you are hitting city streets at 100mph, you are just pure dangerous!

I now realize that you are just citing examples with no backing it just shows your thought process, with no logic or understanding!

With all that said weak and no applicable rebutal, you never tried them, so your examples are mute!

Nuff said!
Old 05-12-2013, 07:41 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
02996ttx50 - poor example, the Hankooks have the same specs as the Michelins, we are not comparing different tire desiginaions as mentioned in your reference! We are comparing the same characteristics as for each brand! Traction designations AA, heat A, sidewall plies 3, both are radials "R", both have the same load rating, and both have the same speed rating! So with that said I don't follow your logic why you posted what you did!

The post you quoted is correct when the tire designations are different! In this case both brands have the same designations!

You seem to think the Hankooks are flimsy yet you have no clue since you never tried them. Funny the Hankooks even posted higher G forces! How do you explain that! Care to share with me why you call them flimsy, when you have never even tried them? Do you even know what the designations are on the tire, by my guess you don't know anything about tire designations and specs!
If you are hitting city streets at 100mph, you are just pure dangerous!

I now realize that you are just citing examples with no backing it just shows your thought process, with no logic or understanding!

With all that said weak and no applicable rebutal, you never tried them, so your examples are mute!

Nuff said!
i wouldn't have said a word about hankook ventus v12's on a porsche turbo were it not from direct personal experience.

i also wasn't trying to pick a fight, though i readily admit my tone can often easily be misread or misnterpreted, and i accept responsibility for why that might be, but that being said: hankook v12's ( dunno about rs2/3's ) are a CHEAP replacement tire that will fit on the wheels many of us have. that doen't make 'em "great" or on par with other brands mentioned, least of all pirelli or michelins. but agreed, "nuff said"...

and please stop saying "mute"..as your/my latest example is neither moot NOR mute LOL
Old 05-12-2013, 09:07 PM
gillie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! I love this board. Often the comments are as sophisticated as the cars we drive.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:50 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

0299ttx50 - Whatever, I doubt very much with the examples you have cited you have any real experience other than an opinion that is geared toward brands. Cheap, think not, just not overpriced based on no major differences as tests have shown and over marketed like Michelins. If you have had personal experience with them, and the P zeroes on your tt as you have stated since Aug 2010, you must go through tires like there was no tomorrow!

So please no more, as your lmited experience and knowledge does not help anyone on here except citing your opinion with no backing.

Your last update says it all!
No more from me.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:25 PM
pnamueller
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have experience with both hankook v12 and Michelin ps2 on both the street and track. I have done 1 DE and 2 open lapping days at one of our local tracks here in CO with both tires. I am not a pro driver but am above average when it comes to driving on the track. I feel like I can safely push my TT to about 8/10ths with both sets of tires.
I pushed both tires for about 30 mins on each run before having to pull in for gas. I found that the PS2 had the most consistent feel throuout the 30 minute run, heated up progressively and held traction throughout.
The Hankooks were a little "slidey" when cold but when heated up felt as grippey as the ps2. But the traction wasn't as consistent throughout as the ps2. Towards the end they got a little greasy but nothing I couldn't handle I just had to brake earlier and put the power down earlier through the corners.
That being said my guesstimate between lap times would be the PS2 is faster by prob 1sec per lap on High plains raceway the way that I drive it. I just drive DEs and a few open lap days per year and find the way the Hankooks handled acceptable. I am not trying to qualify for anything here just trying to find a cheaper tire for the track that I can run through 2-3 sets per season without breaking the bank.

I don't think I push the car hard enough on the street or curvy mountain roads here to notice a big difference between the tires.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

pnamueller - Thank you as I originally posted, you felt the difference on the track where you can push and not the street. I have no doubts the Ps2s are faster on the track which I orginally posted. Thank you for your insight!
Old 05-13-2013, 05:36 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
So please no more, as your lmited experience and knowledge does not help anyone on here except citing your opinion with no backing.

Your last update says it all!
No more from me.
terrific. then i'll leave with you with this, and although biblical in nature, i hope you'll get the drift.

"Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself"
Old 05-13-2013, 05:46 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by pnamueller
I don't think I push the car hard enough on the street or curvy mountain roads here to notice a big difference between the tires.
thanks for your valued real world experience with the differences between the two brands. i am also confident that given your ability to detect nuance vis a vis handling, tires, and differences in lap times - that your experience in canyons would closely approximate that which you experienced on the track. namely, greater traction with the ps2. as i've noted before, here and elsewhere, canyon driving at speeds as low as 35-40 mph can quickly make evident the intrinsic shortcomings of hankook v12's.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:01 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

02996ttx50 - WOW you need to read a lttle better He just said he noticed no difference in Canyons and on the street! I guess its just hard for you to accept real world answers!
Seems to me your little biblical sermon is more geared towards you, afterall you are the one who has pushed this with contradiciting information and lack of any backing but opinion! Yet someone with real experience on and off the track has posted the facts. and you go ahead and put your opinion into his findings . Now who is the fool?
Old 05-14-2013, 09:40 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

i don't need "backing" to share an anecdotal personal experience comparing tires on my car, you dolt. nothing i have posted contradicts anything, other than your supremely misguided notion that hankook tires might be as good as pirelli's or michelins. plus, my mom said i should't argue with a guy that doesn't know the difference between "mute" and "moot". but her advice will have to be ignored, though i am "arguing" with ( forgive me ) an idiot. let me explain, for you. please read this s l o w l y.

that another poster shared that they didn't experience any difference while driving in canyons ( and duly noting they don't think they would notice a difference based upon their EXPERIENCE ) does NOTHING to mitigate the very real possibility that their experience with hankooks vs michelin ps2's at the track might produce similar results in canyons had they pushed them a bit "more". under what conditions is an inferior tire going to perform equally with one of better quality? well, one in which performance limits of either have not been reached, of course.

you sir, are as "thick" as they come.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:18 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

02996ttx50 - Wow now your true character is showing, the lack of maturity, and even bring your mom into it. Your flippant comments , your argumentiuve nature, and lack of knowledge has defined your character! Come back when you have something poistive to add!
Nice try! I guess I just hit a nerve!
Old 05-17-2013, 11:02 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I love the way my PS2's drive. No complaints and my rear tires lasted 14k miles so far on PSS9's with a good alignment. I anticipate tires getting replaced this summer.

I am going to order the inexpensive tires and give them a run. I use my car as a DD and most days have my 1.5 year old in the car. I am guessing he will not notice!
Tirerack has $80 bucks off a set now so that is $636 for the set.

Quick Reply: input needed on price point. .