Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

input needed on price point. .

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 04:56 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

We can argue back and forth all day about the '' feel ''of a tire...it's like arguing about someone's paint color preference...you'll never win...
As Hankook might be good value for the money,they're no PS2s...
It seems to me you're not driving your car hard enough... Believe me! There's a difference! The PS2s grip is phenomenal at the limit! That's what makes all the difference for a car that was originally 140K. Now you can get it for 35K,put some Hankook tires on,dump some Rotella Diesel oil in there and fix your wing in the up position.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:58 PM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
I read that as well when purchasing tires. I wouldn't hesitate to put Hankooks on my turbo. I decided though to stay with the ps2s. I like them overall better than Hankooks I have run. To each their own. I agree that good quality tires are what is important. N rating is just a CYA for Porsche etc.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:23 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
The PS2s grip is phenomenal at the limit! That's what makes all the difference for a car that was originally 140K. Now you can get it for 35K,put some Hankook tires on,dump some Rotella Diesel oil in there and fix your wing in the up position.
i think that's what we are seeing. cheap tires and bolts to keep the wing up LOL.

i just replaced two fronts with my usual ps2s 235/40/18. they were not n rated as are my rears, but are the same tire with a different ( audi ) load rating just not n rated. i've said this a hundred times, but my take regarding hankook v12's? is they work fine ( city sedate driving ) unless, and until you begin to approach the performance limits of the car, at which point i think the difference between michelins vs a less expensive tire is readily apparent, and even obvious. just when you don't want to feel it, because it doesn't favor the cheaper tire over the PS2.

hankook v12's are "flimsy" by comparison.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:03 PM
PcarDrmr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

back to topic on car.... the seller does have the hydrolic mechanism but yet to be installed. The two rear tires need to be replaced and the front two are still new. Current owner has owned for past 7 years and only put on 5k miles since purchase. PPI scheduled for next week..
Old 05-10-2013, 09:14 AM
gillie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it's just me but if I were looking to buy a used turbo and the seller had Hankooks rather than some N rated pricier tires mounted I would wonder if the guy went on the cheap with other things.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:13 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Flimsy by comparison, they have the same load rating and in some cases have better load rating. they have the same speed rating , and some have the exact sidewall plies as the Ps2.
Gee lets see, went to the 12 Hrs of Sebring ALMs and the GT class porsches and cup class porsches were running Michlins, Dunlops, Yokohamas, Conti and some here when tracking the car the cars don't run Michelins! Guess you wouldn't buy a car with those on either!
Wow how price point drives ones to make bad assumptions. If you had any product experience price point is 60% marketing and 40% product.
neanicu -Don't drive the car hard enough, bad assumption on your part! As I said i had both and for the hard street driving, there is very little difference. Funny part is if you read the article the Hankooks pulled a higher G force than the PS2's

With that said, to see any difference, you would have to be on a track and you will never get to that level of high end performance on the street to show any major difference. Talk all you want on the upper end of performance, but unless you are hitting the corners on the street at plus 100mph speeds, the argument is mute.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:27 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gillie
Maybe it's just me but if I were looking to buy a used turbo and the seller had Hankooks rather than some N rated pricier tires mounted I would wonder if the guy went on the cheap with other things.
Exactly!
Old 05-10-2013, 12:40 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Flimsy by comparison, they have the same load rating and in some cases have better load rating. they have the same speed rating , and some have the exact sidewall plies as the Ps2.
Gee lets see, went to the 12 Hrs of Sebring ALMs and the GT class porsches and cup class porsches were running Michlins, Dunlops, Yokohamas, Conti and some here when tracking the car the cars don't run Michelins! Guess you wouldn't buy a car with those on either!
Wow how price point drives ones to make bad assumptions. If you had any product experience price point is 60% marketing and 40% product.
neanicu -Don't drive the car hard enough, bad assumption on your part! As I said i had both and for the hard street driving, there is very little difference. Funny part is if you read the article the Hankooks pulled a higher G force than the PS2's

With that said, to see any difference, you would have to be on a track and you will never get to that level of high end performance on the street to show any major difference. Talk all you want on the upper end of performance, but unless you are hitting the corners on the street at plus 100mph speeds, the argument is mute.
Kevinmacd,there are other good tires besides PS2...But the reality is that the BEST tire you can buy IN THE SIZE available for our cars is Michelin Pilot Sport 2,which just so happens to be an N rated tire... The only problem is the rears wear out too fast because they don't have much '' meat '' from new.
Hankook is a good tire...is the Kia and Hyundai of auto manufacturers,coming strong from behind and I would confidently use it on other cars,just not on a Porsche Turbo.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:04 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

neanicu - acutally if you do your homework Pirelli Pzeros ( N rated) are the best for the Porsche turbo, even porsche has stated the Pirellis have provided quicker lap time at Nurbering. thay are sticker and handle better.
Michelins well I don't think you have any proof other than the Porsche N rated that they are the best for the Turbo. If you really think Hankooks are Kia and Hyundai tires , you haven't done your homework, becuase if that were true you would not have the same 1 for 1 spec of the Hankook and Michelins. That comparison is beyond logic and only shows your opinion. The statement of using Hankooks vs Michelins shows cheap on other things, is total nonsense! It is always advised to keep maintenance records and repairs. As a buyer you should require it!
I am totally convinced by your comments you have never tried any other tire, so I don't think you are in a good position to make the statements you have!
I have, Michelins, Pirellis Contis and the Hankooks. Both the Michelins, Pirellis and Conti wear out too quick, and for the street offer negligiblae diffeernce for the limited performance on street and highway these cars can do by nature of the law!.

Nuff said!
Old 05-10-2013, 07:03 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

First,I'd like to apologize to the OP for taking up his thread,it wasn't my intention and this is my last post on this matter.
I've had Pirelli P Zero before on the car,didn't like them...good,but noisy...don't even come close to the PS2s.
Tell you what...since you're praising Hankook so much,I might just try them next time and if you're right,I'll admit I was wrong,no problem.
But if you're wrong,I'll PM you to buy them from me...
Old 05-10-2013, 07:06 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by PcarDrmr
back to topic on car.... the seller does have the hydrolic mechanism but yet to be installed. The two rear tires need to be replaced and the front two are still new. Current owner has owned for past 7 years and only put on 5k miles since purchase. PPI scheduled for next week..
Let us know the results...

Old 05-10-2013, 07:56 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
First,I'd like to apologize to the OP for taking up his thread,it wasn't my intention and this is my last post on this matter.
I've had Pirelli P Zero before on the car,didn't like them...good,but noisy...don't even come close to the PS2s.
Tell you what...since you're praising Hankook so much,I might just try them next time and if you're right,I'll admit I was wrong,no problem.
But if you're wrong,I'll PM you to buy them from me...
Make sure you buy 295/30/18's; I'll take them off your hands if Kevinmacd doesnt take them.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:49 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Old 05-11-2013, 11:33 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PcarDrmr
Does this mean new as in recently purchased, or new as in low mileage, but old as far as time on car.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:15 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Flimsy by comparison,
exactly.

With that said, to see any difference, you would have to be on a track and you will never get to that level of high end performance on the street to show any major difference. Talk all you want on the upper end of performance
pure unmitigated balderdash.

unless you are hitting the corners on the street at plus 100mph speeds, the argument is mute.
the argument is perfectly valid and not made less so by that car n driver comparison you referenced. so it isn't that the "argument" might be moot, the argument may in fact be falling upon deaf ears. which could possibly render it mute,. but still, only then.

Quick Reply: input needed on price point. .