Sponsored by:

cd changer not recognized

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 08:06 PM
jwex16
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Default cd changer not recognized

I just got an 04 TT with a stock navi setup. when I select the cd changer I get the error message "no cd changer". I have inserted a couple cds, checked connections and still same message. The cd changer was dealer installed after initial delivery. Obviously the battery has been replaced a few times. Is there any trick to having the head unit link to the changer? I did something before on my old unit in my '02 when I set up the aux input. any ideas?

As long as i am at it, is there a plug to connect my iphone as an mp3 player?

I really do not want to upgrade anything, I just want what I have to work.

Photos are coming when i can figure out how to upload to rennlist from my ipad.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2013, 09:13 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by jwex16
I just got an 04 TT with a stock navi setup. when I select the cd changer I get the error message "no cd changer". I have inserted a couple cds, checked connections and still same message. The cd changer was dealer installed after initial delivery. Obviously the battery has been replaced a few times. Is there any trick to having the head unit link to the changer? I did something before on my old unit in my '02 when I set up the aux input. any ideas?

As long as i am at it, is there a plug to connect my iphone as an mp3 player?

I really do not want to upgrade anything, I just want what I have to work.

Photos are coming when i can figure out how to upload to rennlist from my ipad.

Thanks
If you have the 6-CD changer in the front trunk with the key off unplug the box then make sure it is securely plugged back in.

This has resurrected a non-functioning CD player for me several times.

Another possibility though one which I can not recall affecting the CD changer is sometimes when I turn on the key and after starting the engine the radio comes on but doesn't work. Everything about the radio looks ok but there is no sound.

The "fix" is to turn off the key and leave it off for some time.

I've never experimented with how long is necessary I just shut off the engine when I get where I'm going and when I come back to the car some minutes later the radio works just fine.

Based on my observation a possible minimum amount of time would be 3 minutes but it could be longer.

Or you can shorten this by unplugging and then plugging back in the fuse (or two) that protects the radio circuit. I have not bothered to learn where this fuse is, or fuses are, I just do without the radio for a while.

Note the only times I've had the above issues with the radio has been before the battery gave up the ghost. The battery didn't die right away but it was on its way out.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:14 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the plug for an MP3 player, the answer is no. Dension makes a unit that replaces the CD changer and supports an iPod/iPhone. I have one and it works pretty well.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:39 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 304 Posts

On a somewhat related note, when RAC connected my 04 TT to their Piwis to see why my keys weren't connecting to the seat settings, my PCM somehow lost the navigation. Nothing they could do would get it to recognize that I had navi - even after reprogramming. We unplugged the entire PCM unit, and a few minutes later when we reconnected it all everything worked fine. No explanation how or why, but maybe this will cause your system to "recognize" your CD player too.

I'd pay a premium if Porsche would outsource all electronics to Lexus or Infiniti. Germans know driving dynamics, but they can't hold a candle to Japan for electronics.

Last edited by leftlane; 04-18-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:20 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

my experience lately with the cdr23 and inadvertent and unasked for on/off ( not recognizing inserted cd's etc ) is that the cause of the problem *may* in fact, be a faulty ignition switch. yes, that's what i am told. i will try and report back as soon as the new $6.00 996/986/vw part goes in. it turns the radio on/off while driving, and it freaks me out, to say nothing of annoying. odd, but true. the fix was recommended to me by my tech that says the issue is not unknown to him, and that the replacing of the ignition switch, ( in spite of no other symptomatic behaviour from the switch,.. or key operability ) will cure this anomaly. stranger things can happen, so we shall see.

my $50 iphone/ipod connectivity issue has been cheaply ( if not crudely ) *solved* by buying a motorola t505 which connects the iphone thru the ( at times phantom ) cdr23 and plays mp3's as well as allows me to make/take calls.. which while drving this car is unusual for me anyway. it ain't pretty ( the t505 ) but it works and just clips onto the pass side visor. works pretty well, actually. just circa 2003 technology. actually, i think it suits the car lol
Old 04-18-2013, 09:35 PM
jwex16
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ended up being a bad battery

Luckily it was a bad battery . And under warranty. Thanks for input.

Quick Reply: cd changer not recognized