Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS PSM and Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 12:10 AM
PaleAle
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I decided to replace the wiring harness today. I'm not super comfortable working on my 996tt so iIt took me about 4 hours (including a run for a heat gun). 2 test drives in and I'm not popping any codes yet. That may not mean anything as it 3-4 days to pop one after replacing the speed sensor.

If this doesn't work I'm going to look for new and then try a module repair service (my Indy has used a guy a couple of times for bimmers).

I'll report back on this every few days.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:20 PM
SeabrookPorsche
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Any update PaleAle.

i have the same issue.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:23 AM
PaleAle
Racer

I was going to wait until Tuesday to post as that is my 2 week checkpoint. However, since you asked I'm happy to report no issues!

I was skeptical that my issue was related to the harness, especially because I was getting ABS feedback at super low speeds (backing out of my driveway; stop & go in traffic). When I changed the speed sensor I had no warning lights for a couple days. Same when I changed the brake sensor. However, I still had that dreaded ABS feedback and then back to "normal" of warning light nearly every time I drove.

I've had no warning lights and or ABS feedback since changing the harness.

The harness was only $80 so I DEFINITELY would give that a try before sending out your ABS module, or buying a used / new one. FWIW, my indy told me that the ABS modules are "mated" to the car, so buying a used one may not be a great idea.

The replacement was actually much easier than I anticipated. If you have a shop do it, it should be less than 2 hours of labor, probably closer to 1. Happy to help if you need more info. I even took a few pics.

Additionally, most claim this is related to lowered cars. As far as I can tell my car has never been lowered. I never saw this until I switched to a set of 19" HRE's. Not sure if it's related.

Last edited by PaleAle; 09-24-2018 at 09:25 AM. Reason: changed description
Old 09-24-2018, 10:23 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,567 Posts

Originally Posted by PaleAle
I was going to wait until Tuesday to post as that is my 2 week checkpoint. However, since you asked I'm happy to report no issues!

I was skeptical that my issue was related to the harness, especially because I was getting ABS feedback at super low speeds (backing out of my driveway; stop & go in traffic). When I changed the speed sensor I had no warning lights for a couple days. Same when I changed the brake sensor. However, I still had that dreaded ABS feedback and then back to "normal" of warning light nearly every time I drove.

I've had no warning lights and or ABS feedback since changing the harness.

The harness was only $80 so I DEFINITELY would give that a try before sending out your ABS module, or buying a used / new one. FWIW, my indy told me that the ABS modules are "mated" to the car, so buying a used one may not be a great idea.

The replacement was actually much easier than I anticipated. If you have a shop do it, it should be less than 2 hours of labor, probably closer to 1. Happy to help if you need more info. I even took a few pics.

Additionally, most claim this is related to lowered cars. As far as I can tell my car has never been lowered. I never saw this until I switched to a set of 19" HRE's. Not sure if it's related.
What size tires are you running on those 19" wheels?
Old 09-25-2018, 10:44 PM
PaleAle
Racer

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I'll have to check as they're in storage. I took a bolt through one sidewall so I opted to put the twists back on.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:05 PM
SeabrookPorsche
Racer

I went from 19's back to the stock 18" twist and that's when I got the PSM/ABS light. I have noticed that the PSM switch has been disabled on the dash.

I have replaced the brake switch myself with no luck. I will look at replacing the MAF next as it is probably due anyway?
Old 09-26-2018, 10:01 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Before you all try anything else try this. Disconnect the the negative terminal from the battery and let it sit overnight. Reconnect and test drive.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:46 AM
PaleAle
Racer

Originally Posted by SeabrookPorsche
I went from 19's back to the stock 18" twist and that's when I got the PSM/ABS light. I have noticed that the PSM switch has been disabled on the dash.

I have replaced the brake switch myself with no luck. I will look at replacing the MAF next as it is probably due anyway?
When I think back, my error light started when I went back to stock twists.

I replaced the speed sensor, MAF and brake switch with no luck. I hadn't heard about unhooking the battery and letting it sit overnight. Definitely worth a try although you need to make sure you have your radio code before you unhook it.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:45 PM
PaleAle
Racer

Huge shout out to Dave's eRam! I installed the 4" this weekend and it looks great. No more error code and it looks great in the rear view mirror. The eRams were fully synced on first operation with perfect spacing off the trunk.

The install was pretty straight forward and Dave's instructions were solid. I ran into a problem when removing the engine cover / fan shroud because 3 of the bolts spun in place. Solved by cutting out the plastic with a round saw drill bit meant for drilling holes in doors for locks (small bit, about a 50 cent piece).

I sent Dave some observations regarding the install procedure. PM me if interested.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:34 PM
SeabrookPorsche
Racer

Ok, Battery now disconnected. Let's see what tomorrow or the next day brings.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:22 PM
SeabrookPorsche
Racer

I disconnected the battery for two days but no luck. I installed a new OEM MAF as well but no luck.

Annoying to say the least...
Old 10-06-2018, 04:32 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Sorry to hear the battery reset did not work.

It is really odd that both you and paleale experience problems just by changing wheels and tires. Very odd. The only other suggestion I have is to put a lot of miles on the car and see if the PSM system adapts to the new wheels and tires.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:14 AM
PaleAle
Racer

Sorry to hear the battery reset did not work.

It is really odd that both you and paleale experience problems just by changing wheels and tires. Very odd. The only other suggestion I have is to put a lot of miles on the car and see if the PSM system adapts to the new wheels and tires.
I gave up after 9 months and 6K miles....
Old 10-13-2018, 01:43 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by PaleAle
Huge shout out to Dave's eRam! I installed the 4" this weekend and it looks great. No more error code and it looks great in the rear view mirror. The eRams were fully synced on first operation with perfect spacing off the trunk.

The install was pretty straight forward and Dave's instructions were solid.

I sent Dave some observations regarding the install procedure. PM me if interested.
love reading this. as i just said here to dave in one thread or a another? that my 3rd re-bleed ( in 7 years!? ) had been holding UP well, and that his 4" kit ( better ) has been on my wish list for years..and now TODAY! my spoiler is becoming momentarily flaccid lol. carerra dave has hexed me lol.

tomorrow: re-bleed # FOUR. Film at 11

Old 10-13-2018, 03:22 PM
TommyT
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I had similar issue on a BMW. Had module rebuilt and fixed the problem. Was only about 90 bucks if I recall. Worth a shot.

Quick Reply: ABS PSM and Check Engine Light