Diminished Value Claim

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 07:30 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
There has not been a decision to total the car. Additionally my insurance adjuster wants to use used parts to repair my car rather than new.
Only use a Porsche Approved Collision Center. They will refuse to use any used or aftermarket parts and will negotiate for you with the insurance company. You have the right to chose your repair facility and the insurance company can't force you to use a different one.

http://www.porschecollisioncenter.com/
Old 03-20-2013, 12:20 AM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

sounds like a hardball from Ins. Co., but unfortunately, a lawyer may still be needed to make a call and quote the Ins. Co. policy on repairs.

as a few have mentioned, you have been paying Porsche Ins. premiums for a reason. If my premiums were $300 every 6 months here in Miami, I'd love that, but also wouldn't expect top notch service for accident repair.

bollocks!
Old 03-20-2013, 06:29 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by pirahna
Only use a Porsche Approved Collision Center. They will refuse to use any used or aftermarket parts and will negotiate for you with the insurance company. You have the right to chose your repair facility and the insurance company can't force you to use a different one.

The closest shop is over 100 miles away. If such a shop were used, could State Farm force me to pay the difference between junkyard and OEM parts? If not, I may just throw the TT on my race car trailer and take it down to Palm Beach.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:17 AM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

The closest shop is over 100 miles away. If such a shop were used, could State Farm force me to pay the difference between junkyard and OEM parts? If not, I may just throw the TT on my race car trailer and take it down to Palm Beach.
I think its all negotiation from when the repair shop gets it and best to put it in the right hands. There is still a chance they total it once they start work. Also depends on what part is new vs used. Often the insurance company will force or pay the amount against say a used headlight assembly, but not an engine component etc. Hard to make an argument that if you could get an excellent scrapyard used Xenon headlamp that somehow that is a risk to the cars operation. I know I had my audi S8 hit twice in a parking lot and all they would pay for was a used headlight assembly, but everything else they gave in on as new once it went to the shop. Key is having right person work on it. The estimate means you are far from done. Before I got a lawyer I would take it to a Porsche certified shop and have them start and tell them the situation and work it from there.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:08 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had two claims from State Farm in last 5 years. They have never asked to use used parts. Always new oem parts. If this is what they do now, I would drop my insurance now. I have four cars and half a dozen other policies with them. SF, are you listening?
Old 03-20-2013, 12:44 PM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by djantlive
I have had two claims from State Farm in last 5 years. They have never asked to use used parts. Always new oem parts. If this is what they do now, I would drop my insurance now. I have four cars and half a dozen other policies with them. SF, are you listening?
How old were the cars. I was shocked when allstate said this to me, but it was only on the headlight. My car was 9 years old though even though it was a high-end car. I think age is a factor.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:23 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 363 Posts

I'm not sure about the rules in FL, they could be very different than Ca. I would call that Authorized Collision Center and ask them for their advice. I know if it was my car I would want it repaired at the best facility possible. I hope it all works out for you.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:09 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by pirahna

Hmmm. What's interesting to me is that the nearest Porsche Approved Collision Center is in Atlanta or Chicago...350+ miles away. I'd be interested to see what my carrier would say about having to deal with that shipping
Old 03-20-2013, 04:06 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my wife's Honda minivan fixed and SF insisted on using a used or "reconditioned" bumper cover; however it came out fine and I could not tell the difference. That's a 100K+ miles minivan and not a 996 TT. I'd feel obligated to fight it, but the laws vary state-by-state so you need to talk to a lawyer. In Illinois I know -sadly from experience - that the laws are somewhat stacked against us when it comes to auto damages.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you should seek representation from Macster

In Ohio, I am told there are no more diminished value claims.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:52 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Update

The car is back from the body shop. I am quite pleased with the repair. It drives perfectly also. I had to front the $2000 deductible and am still waiting on the other guy's insurance to reimburse me that plus any diminished value amount. The manager of the local Porsche dealer told me the car is probably worth $2000 less because of this incident. I think I'll just keep the car forever (or until the next Cayman R is available).
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2013, 11:21 AM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Good to hear Mark. If you don't mind, what was the total repair bill? On Cambam78's thread, he's just starting to deal with his own front end damage and repair estimates.

If the other guys insurance has a $10K liability, that's the exact amount you should get and lawyer up for any amount above that or the other driver has to fork over out of his pocket.

As far as $2000 loss due to the accident....I'll call BS
Old 04-27-2013, 11:26 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Looks good.

While I hate to bring a little rain your way you're not done yet.

Has the car been inspected by a tech at a Porsche dealership? I had my Turbo inspected by both a body shop owner friend (not the shop that did the repairs) and a dealership tech and some issues were found and I had to take the car back to have them addressed.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:34 AM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have special lawyer's insurance coverage which covers my costs of getting a lawyer to fight a "diminished value" claim. This is available in Canada but don't know about the US. It also pays for a lawyer to attand court if I want to fight a traffic ticket other than a DUI. They use one of the better law firms for Vancouver clients.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:53 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

The repair bill came in around $17k or thereabouts. The shop went with insurance demand for junkyard parts, then ended up getting OEM in each instance as there were unacceptable blemishes in the parts the insurance company wanted to put on.

I have found someone that has a business providing diminished value assessments on cars like mine, but I'm not sure I want to fork out $800 for that service particularly since the guy who hit my car lives in trailer park and by appearances, that's probably a huge move up from the park bench I'd expect to see him residing on.

Quick Reply: Diminished Value Claim