Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Is Difference Between These Two Suspension Kits?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 09:44 PM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Is Difference Between These Two Suspension Kits?

Evening,

What is the difference between this TPC Stage II suspension below, and the PSS10?

http://www.tpcracing.com/997996-stage-2-suspension.html

Yes, I know the PSS10 is an adjustable coil-over system. Would they accomplish the same basic function?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:00 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

I have no idea.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:12 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The TPC kit uses the stock dampers or shock absorbers and I assume uses lowering and possibly a bit stiffer springs. It also has heavier sway bars whereas the PSS10 uses stock. TPC has some adjustable links probably to get more negative camber beyond what the stock ones will allow.

Two different approaches to make your car handle better. The PSS10 can be tuned for a small variation in ride height and quite a range in dampening from soft and plush to firm and non-compliant.

In my opinion the best would be the PSS10 with added sway bars or at least an adjustable rear. On my stock '99 C2 Cab I kept everything stock and added adjustable sways on both ends. It made a huge difference and eliminated the front end push (understeer).

I thought about the PSS10s quite seriously but passed because I want to go at least 1" lower on both ends and a tad bit stiffer. I want an adjustable sway on the rear too. I will never track my car so tuning for different tracks/conditions is not necessary. I will probably probably go H&R springs and their rear sway bar. If needed I may machine some adjustable links myself.

My comments are based upon my understanding and my opinions
Old 01-07-2013, 10:19 AM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Originally Posted by nick49
The TPC kit uses the stock dampers or shock absorbers and I assume uses lowering and possibly a bit stiffer springs. It also has heavier sway bars whereas the PSS10 uses stock. TPC has some adjustable links probably to get more negative camber beyond what the stock ones will allow.

Two different approaches to make your car handle better. The PSS10 can be tuned for a small variation in ride height and quite a range in dampening from soft and plush to firm and non-compliant.

In my opinion the best would be the PSS10 with added sway bars or at least an adjustable rear. On my stock '99 C2 Cab I kept everything stock and added adjustable sways on both ends. It made a huge difference and eliminated the front end push (understeer).

I thought about the PSS10s quite seriously but passed because I want to go at least 1" lower on both ends and a tad bit stiffer. I want an adjustable sway on the rear too. I will never track my car so tuning for different tracks/conditions is not necessary. I will probably probably go H&R springs and their rear sway bar. If needed I may machine some adjustable links myself.

My comments are based upon my understanding and my opinions
Nick,

Thank you. Sorry about opening up multiple threads here---all discussing the same thing. I am trying to figure all of this out, and the reality of the "money sink" is hitting me as I tabulate all the costs for mods. Track performance is not important to me at all, nor is the ability to adjust between a soft and firm ride. I prefer a stiff ride, but not something that hops/jumps around if I hit a bump. The PSS10s are creeping up towards $4K, and the bars/links another $1500---not counting installation. So, I am trying to decipher what I need versus what would be overkill.

The TPC lit looks good with the addition of some new Billsteins to round out the kit, but others here seem to strongly support the PSS10s and calling it a day. I have to respect the wisdom passed down by the P-Car experts:-)

The H&R coil-overs might be my first choice, but I wonder if running 19s would be way to stiff and obnoxious on the street. That is my whole dilema.

Regards,
John G
Old 01-07-2013, 11:03 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Silberwolfen
Thank you. Sorry about opening up multiple threads here---all discussing the same thing. I am trying to figure all of this out, and the reality of the "money sink" is hitting me as I tabulate all the costs for mods. Track performance is not important to me at all, nor is the ability to adjust between a soft and firm ride. I prefer a stiff ride, but not something that hops/jumps around if I hit a bump. The PSS10s are creeping up towards $4K, and the bars/links another $1500---not counting installation. So, I am trying to decipher what I need versus what would be overkill.
John, not sure where you're shopping, but TireRack carries PSS10's for our cars for less than $2800. They also carry adjustable H&R's for another $600. Throw in the Tarrett drop links if you're so inclined for $350, and you've got a really great setup for that same $4k.

Install plus a corner balance alignment for another $700 - 800, and you're out the door. Personally, I'd just install the stuff myself, it's really pretty easy (minus the alignment).
Old 01-07-2013, 11:04 AM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Originally Posted by CincyScott
John, not sure where you're shopping, but TireRack carries PSS10's for our cars for less than $2800. They also carry adjustable H&R's for another $600. Throw in the Tarrett drop links if you're so inclined for $350, and you've got a really great setup for that same $4k.

Install plus a corner balance alignment for another $700 - 800, and you're out the door. Personally, I'd just install the stuff myself, it's really pretty easy (minus the alignment).
Wow...I'll have to check TR out. I had no idea. I'm probably shopping in the wrong place. I'll head over there right now...thanks.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:53 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Silberwolfen
Wow...I'll have to check TR out. I had no idea. I'm probably shopping in the wrong place. I'll head over there right now...thanks.
Sorry, I can't add, the Tarrett Drop Links are $450
Old 01-07-2013, 01:12 PM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Scott,

You were exactly right! Thanks for the head's up on those prices.

Also...you have first dips on the PCM2...I may swap it out with a Panasonic unit this Winter.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:11 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Reading your threads,sounds like you're the perfect candidate to stay stock. What's wrong with stock? You're not a boy racer and you said it yourself,you don't go to the track. The stock suspension is really good,very compliant on the street and when pushed hard it handles like a sports car. You can take turns at insane speeds with the stock suspension! What's so special about PSS10 or any other set up? And what's best of all...it's FREE!
After this you're going to want exhaust,tune up etc. Just make a hole in the exhaust and it'll sound louder.
People just want to modify for the sake of modifying... It's the same with some women and plastic surgery : ' Just keep your face stock darling and save me some money! '
If you want to have fun with mods,get a beater Subaru like I did and change everything on it. Do it yourself,it's a lot more rewarding and cheaper. You will then kill the urge to modify a Porsche.
And BTW,get rid of 19 wheels,this car was designed for 18s. Unless you're a really smart engineer that knows very well Porsche's drivetrain and can make it better,keep the 18s.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
You can take turns at insane speeds with the stock suspension!
Very true. The major reason why I went with the X73 suspension was because I couldn't stand the looks of the OEM ride height.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:54 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Reading your threads,sounds like you're the perfect candidate to stay stock. What's wrong with stock? You're not a boy racer and you said it yourself,you don't go to the track. The stock suspension is really good,very compliant on the street and when pushed hard it handles like a sports car. You can take turns at insane speeds with the stock suspension! What's so special about PSS10 or any other set up? And what's best of all...it's FREE!
After this you're going to want exhaust,tune up etc. Just make a hole in the exhaust and it'll sound louder.
People just want to modify for the sake of modifying... It's the same with some women and plastic surgery : ' Just keep your face stock darling and save me some money! '
If you want to have fun with mods,get a beater Subaru like I did and change everything on it. Do it yourself,it's a lot more rewarding and cheaper. You will then kill the urge to modify a Porsche.
And BTW,get rid of 19 wheels,this car was designed for 18s. Unless you're a really smart engineer that knows very well Porsche's drivetrain and can make it better,keep the 18s.
Stock cars are all a compromise to feed the market of where the designers and bean counters want the car to fit. Some of us like different handling characteristics, will sacrifice some engine wear for more power, or want a different sound. There's no right or wrong.

I have no plans to track my car (mainly couldn't stand the thought of blowing it up or bouncing it off a barrier), but definitely feel like there are areas of performance I'd rather customize to my tastes.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:34 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Stock cars are all a compromise to feed the market of where the designers and bean counters want the car to fit. Some of us like different handling characteristics, will sacrifice some engine wear for more power, or want a different sound. There's no right or wrong.

I have no plans to track my car (mainly couldn't stand the thought of blowing it up or bouncing it off a barrier), but definitely feel like there are areas of performance I'd rather customize to my tastes.
Yeah...I think it's a big conspiracy of car manufacturers....
I agree with Dock about the Turbo height,but I understand it's only in the US because of some regulations. Same applies to my AMG. But it's better in a way because I don't scrape everywhere and I've learned to live with the ' look '.
Besides a Porsche 997 stock short shifter and an updated Navigation unit(but even that has to look stock and match the rest),I don't see the point of modifying a 911 Turbo. It is already a 911 Turbo BTW!
How come most people don't have the urge to modify their daily drivers...like your Subaru Outback,Hyundai Sonata,Honda Accord etc? Those need different rims too,louder exhaust,maybe tune,no?
Old 01-07-2013, 03:39 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Yeah...I think it's a big conspiracy of car manufacturers....
I agree with Dock about the Turbo height,but I understand it's only in the US because of some regulations. Same applies to my AMG. But it's better in a way because I don't scrape everywhere and I've learned to live with the ' look '.
Besides a Porsche 997 stock short shifter and an updated Navigation unit(but even that has to look stock and match the rest),I don't see the point of modifying a 911 Turbo. It is already a 911 Turbo BTW!
How come most people don't have the urge to modify their daily drivers...like your Subaru Outback,Hyundai Sonata,Honda Accord etc? Those need different rims too,louder exhaust,maybe tune,no?
Who says we don't? I've modified all of my daily drivers too...it's what I do
The following users liked this post:
psonoda (04-12-2022)
Old 01-07-2013, 03:46 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Who says we don't? I've modified all of my daily drivers too...it's what I do
Then carry on brother!
I hope all Turbos in the country will be modified when it's time to sell mine! More money in my pocket...
Old 01-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I hope all Turbos in the country will be modified when it's time to sell mine! More money in my pocket...
You may have a point there.

Quick Reply: What Is Difference Between These Two Suspension Kits?