Thanks For Advice---2013 Mods Identified & Final Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks For Advice---2013 Mods Identified & Final Questions

Good Afternoon,

After taking the advice to heart here on the forum, I reached out to TPC Racing, Kevin at UMW, and Taylor Chapman at Chapman Autowerks. All very excellent people to speak with.

TUNE: UMW. I’m definitely going to go with Kevin on this one.

SHIFTER: Numeric Racing Short Throw. I’m going to have Taylor Chapman install this piece. Should I also go with the GT3 cable/ends? Taylor told me that the Numeric still uses the plastic cable ends, but he does have a method to securing them a bit better over stock. Should I be concerned about these cable ends breaking, or it is a rare thing? I just don’t want to get stranded in the middle of the night somewhere due to a breakage. Would the added “leverage” from the Numeric Shifter place extra stress on these parts? I hear going into Reverse with the Numeric requires some elbow-grease.

SUSPENSION: I’m torn. I want to have Taylor Chapman enhance my stock system, but I don’t want to go overboard. As he said---the choices are limitless and it is ultimately up to me. He was suggesting the PSS10 or the H&R system. But again---the choice is up to me. The car is getting on towards 10 years old now and could probably use some new shocks. I have 24K miles on it. I might do a track day once in a while, but my goal with the suspension would be to take what Porsche as already done and enhance the handing that much further without making the car annoying to drive on the street. Below is my stock ride height. I only want to do this once---and do it right. Should I be going with a PSS10?

Old 01-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Silberwolfen
TUNE: UMW. I’m definitely going to go with Kevin on this one.
I predict that you will be blown away by the performance.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:55 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

can you expand on the reason for choosing this tuner? not knocking him in any way just curious.
when i spoke to the folks at numeric they replied the stock cable were fine. they are testing some new cables they are building you could go that route if you wanted. reverse for me was a slight adjustment and fine. first is a bit stiff when cold but i attribute that to the trans not the shifter.
suspension. if your not racing and street is the main use try the x73 row suspension or the gt2 setup if you can find it
Old 01-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
...the x73 row suspension....
What do you mean by row, as it relates to the X73 suspension?
Old 01-05-2013, 06:20 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

rest of the world or the european version
Old 01-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

rest of the world or the european version
I believe this is a case of identifying RoW OEM, and RoW "options list". The X73 suspension was an option that was available (for factory install) only for RoW 996 Turbos; it was not an option that the factory would install on 996 Turbos bound for the U.S.

Stock suspension RoW 996 Turbos have a lower ride height than 996 Turbos built for the U.S., as the U.S. requires a higher front bumper height. For 996 Turbos build for countries other than the U.S. (RoW Turbos), the cars could be ordered with the X73 option, which lowered the RoW Turbo ride height even more than what came OEM from the factory.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:47 PM
Silberwolfen
Racer

can you expand on the reason for choosing this tuner? not knocking him in any way just curious.
when i spoke to the folks at numeric they replied the stock cable were fine. they are testing some new cables they are building you could go that route if you wanted. reverse for me was a slight adjustment and fine. first is a bit stiff when cold but i attribute that to the trans not the shifter.
suspension. if your not racing and street is the main use try the x73 row suspension or the gt2 setup if you can find it
Thanks for the feedback and excellent question---well, I called a few tuners and also looked at several of their websites that contain detailed info on their ECU programs. As you know, there are quite a few. Unfortunately for me, there is no real way to test out each and every tune. The only thing that I can do is go on recommendations from others here. It seems that UMW has a strong following here and support from Kevin if things go wrong. My second option is/was TPC Racing down the street from me; however, their tune is $3K. They offer a dual-tune that allows the user to switch back and forth between stock and the tune. However, not sure that I need to switch back and forth between stock and modified.

I have to be the same way with the suspension---I don't want to go drop $4K on something that provides very little. Yes, my car will be 90% street (as most 911s probably are) with the possibility of the occasional track day with my old Corvette buddies. I live near Summit Point Raceway. But, I am not going to overdo it with a Porsche on a track. I'd buy a Miata or something cheap to learn on---not a 911. For the street I really want something that I can have Taylor install that enhances the car a bit...I'm just trying to figure out what that is:-) The PSS10 seems like a pretty steep price...so I am still shopping.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:55 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

For the street I really want something that I can have Taylor install that enhances the car a bit...
As you probably know, X73 is a big improvement over stock in terms of handling and stability. I will tell you though that X73 is without question a stiffer ride than OEM...by quite a bit. On relatively smooth roads it's not that noticeable, but on bumpy roads you will definitely know that you're in a tightly sprung sports car. I personally love X73, but "sports car" is what I wanted, not GT cruiser.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:28 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
As you probably know, X73 is a big improvement over stock in terms of handling and stability. I will tell you though that X73 is without question a stiffer ride than OEM...by quite a bit. On relatively smooth roads it's not that noticeable, but on bumpy roads you will definitely know that you're in a tightly sprung sports car. I personally love X73, but "sports car" is what I wanted, not GT cruiser.
But almost impossible to find used, I'd venture to say. I wanted an X73 at one point, and never saw anything available over many months. Probably the proverbial needle, no?
Old 01-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

U.S OEM ride height versus X73 ride height...

Old 01-05-2013, 10:33 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CincyScott
But almost impossible to find used, I'd venture to say.
I don't think Carnewal has X73 any longer. I haven't shopped around other European Porsche parts businesses.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:29 PM
The NSX dude
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't think Carnewal has X73 any longer. I haven't shopped around other European Porsche parts businesses.
I've been on the hunt for a new X73 kit, doesn't seem to be an easy find.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:33 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The NSX dude
I've been on the hunt for a new X73 kit, doesn't seem to be an easy find.
If you haven't done so already, I'd suggest calling Gert at Carnewal and see what he knows about the availability of X73. His web site states that X73 is no longer available, but that might just mean he's not carrying it any longer.

http://www.carnewal-europe.com/main.htm
Old 01-05-2013, 11:38 PM
Silberwolfen
Racer

U.S OEM ride height versus X73 ride height...

Excellent pics, Dock. Thanks for posting. Next time I am in Atlanta we'll have to have a few beers.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:42 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Next time I am in Atlanta we'll have to have a few beers.
Looking forward to it.

Quick Reply: Thanks For Advice---2013 Mods Identified & Final Questions