Observations from a new owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Dans996tt
Thanks and I will order the Targa switch for the garage door mod today. The no autolight thing bugged me because I left the lights on 3 times last week, it's been 10 years since I've had car without them.
Doesn't your Turbo have a reminder chime to alert you that you are leaving your lights on?
Old 12-26-2012, 02:52 PM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the targa switch inone of the rear windo switch slots. Looks fine
works well
easier than what OP did
the only thing to nit pick - my targa switch is a mat finish, the reat of the center console is gloss
Old 12-26-2012, 03:03 PM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

and despite warning chime, I have left my lights on
as a matter of fact, just put a new battery in because the not so old one had been drained so many times
That is the cost of inattentiveness
Old 12-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
It's a sports car guys. Not a Luxury sedan.... cmon people...
its actually a grand touring vehicle. It has plenty of luxury features already, so auto lights and a homelink are not exactly pushing it over the edge.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
its actually a grand touring vehicle. It has plenty of luxury features already, so auto lights and a homelink are not exactly pushing it over the edge.
The 996 Turbo series is actually closer to the previous "lower GT'ish " Turbos than it is to the "more GTish" 997 Turbo (and likely 991Turbo) series cars.

I'm personally happy that the base 996Turbo wasn't any more "GT" in base form from the factory. I think Porsche should have actually built the base Turbo with a stiffer/better handling suspension, a short shifter with solid stops at each gear gate, and a louder exhaust all standard; no NAV, no homelink, no auto headlights, no auto wipers. If someone wanted to soften up their car and add luxo-tech stuff then they should have been required to go to the option list to get those things. That way Porsche would have laid down the gauntlet by saying "This is a hard edged sports car. If you want it softer you'll have to pay extra".
Old 12-26-2012, 06:33 PM
Dans996tt
Instructor

I'm half deaf from too many jet engines and easily miss the chime. I was just at the stealer ordering the Targa switch and a salesman was walking around asking "is that your white turbo with the lights on?", I just started laughing.

Dan
Old 12-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The key and the light switch are very close to each other. Stop for a second just before you remove the key and take a look at the light switch.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:48 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dock
The 996 Turbo series is actually closer to the previous "lower GT'ish " Turbos than it is to the "more GTish" 997 Turbo (and likely 991Turbo) series cars.

I'm personally happy that the base 996Turbo wasn't any more "GT" in base form from the factory. I think Porsche should have actually built the base Turbo with a stiffer/better handling suspension, a short shifter with solid stops at each gear gate, and a louder exhaust all standard; no NAV, no homelink, no auto headlights, no auto wipers. If someone wanted to soften up their car and add luxo-tech stuff then they should have been required to go to the option list to get those things. That way Porsche would have laid down the gauntlet by saying "This is a hard edged sports car. If you want it softer you'll have to pay extra".
I agree to some extent, but the way I see it, yes, they should have done a better suspension, shifter, exhaust etc. But adding things like homelink and auto headlights add no weight, little cost, and little complexity. If its a one-or-the-other thing, sure, I'd do the performance stuff, but if its a simple add on, throw it in.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

But adding things like homelink and auto headlights add no weight, little cost, and little complexity.
It's not that Porsche couldn't have easily added any or all of these things, it's a philosophical issue. It's about keeping the car focused on "sports car". I have no problem with a robust options list that allows people to add things like a sloppier/more cushy suspension, vague feeling shifter, auto headlights and wipers or any of the other "GT" things that come standard on other high end luxo-GT four seaters like the MB AMG cars, but I would have preferred Porsche stay with "sports car" in the 911 Turbo series. How a base car comes from the factory (no options) establishes the vision the company has for the car.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:45 PM
NeunElfDrehzahl
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The key and the light switch are very close to each other. Stop for a second just before you remove the key and take a look at the light switch.
that's what I do also while waiting for engine to cool down at idle before turning off turn off lights then ignition. to start hit
ignition, then lights for driving day or night.

car doesn't have door /trunk latch open
indicator lights, but I found out yest how to tell if door ajar when central locking to leave car...interior lights stay on and alarm will beep once after taillights flash twice.

like the pillow armrest trick will have to try for long forays in future.
to OP congrats on your TT and welcome to the "big grins" club..or at least that's what I still feel like when driving mine.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:51 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

It's not that Porsche couldn't have easily added any or all of these things, it's a philosophical issue. It's about keeping the car focused on "sports car". I have no problem with a robust options list that allows people to add things like a sloppier/more cushy suspension, vague feeling shifter, auto headlights and wipers or any of the other "GT" things that come standard on other high end luxo-GT four seaters like the MB AMG cars, but I would have preferred Porsche stay with "sports car" in the 911 Turbo series. How a base car comes from the factory (no options) establishes the vision the company has for the car.
meh, just goes back to preferences.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:42 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

meh, just goes back to preferences.
Yes, preferences of Porsche. In the case of the 996 Turbo, their preference was not to include as standard homelink or auto headlights.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:07 PM
JohnInTexas
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate auto lights so I think it's funny that folks are wanting to add them. I spent forever online trying to get directions on disabling the daytime running lights on my Toyota Solara. DRLs are a little different from auto lights but I have the same dislike since someone decided to remove me from the control loop. I guess it would be hard to forget to turn off the lights on a 928 since the lights look like frog eyes when they are on :P
Old 12-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,656 Posts

Originally Posted by Dans996tt
Merry Christmas to all. I have been driving my new to me 2004 TT, TIP, X50, PCCB for a week and have put 500 miles on it so far, I’d like to share my first impressions. I have had luxury and race cars my whole life. It wouldn’t have been too many years ago where I wouldn’t even have considered getting a TIP, it runs and drives fantastic, steering feedback, ride, pedal feel, climate control, control feel and seats are all perfect.
The NAV system sucks, it’s like a Sesame Street toy, cheesy graphics and often not on the road.
This is evidently the same tranny that is in my Mercedes and it shifts the exact same? I would like a firmer shift, at least in manual mode. Does anyone make an old fashioned shift kit?
The door armrest is like concrete and hurts my elbow? How is it that this $162,000 car is the only one I own that doesn’t have automatic headlights and a home link door opener?
Amazing car, I love it.
I joined PCA and will be attending the Northwest Region events, hope to see some of you there.

Dan
The Tip trans has many maps built into its control unit that effect how quickly it shifts. If the previous owner didn't drive the car aggressively from time to time the trans picks a "sluggish" map. I found that if you disconnect the battery it resets the ECU and the trans control unit will revert to a more "sporty" map.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by JohnInTexas
I hate auto lights so I think it's funny that folks are wanting to add them. I spent forever online trying to get directions on disabling the daytime running lights on my Toyota Solara. DRLs are a little different from auto lights but I have the same dislike since someone decided to remove me from the control loop. I guess it would be hard to forget to turn off the lights on a 928 since the lights look like frog eyes when they are on :P
take it easy chief, with most cars, the auto headlight option is a setting on the light switch. you can use it like a regular one if you like.

Quick Reply: Observations from a new owner