Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softronic Tune - I couldn't leave good enough alone!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 12:39 PM
cyk
Instructor

Received 134 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Softronic Tune - I couldn't leave good enough alone!

So we all know the fantastic power of a stock 996tt, and I for one, didn't initially intend to mess with the tune, but a little over a year of ownership and having installed pss10's, I was beginning to get a bit antsy to improve the power output & delivery.

I felt there was a bit more lag than I cared for (especially noticeable at the track) and from reading through some threads here, it seemed a simple tune could unleash a fair amount of hp with relative ease.

Long story short, I decided on the Softronic tune claiming an increase of 80hp & 120ft/lb of torque to 495hp & 533ft/lb! While I haven't confirmed those claims, my seat of the pants certainly tells me there is a huge bump. I've noticed the following:

* Peak boost went from .08 to 1.1 bar
* Rev limiter has been raised
* Torque is so strong that traction is easily lost in first gear
* Turbo lag is significantly diminished
* Mid-range torque is monstrous

I've only had the tune in from this morning so all these observations were from a short drive and I'm sure I'll have more revelations as I get more seat time, but my initial impression tells me it was money very well spent.

For those curious about the install, it really couldn't be easier. All it took was downloading the stock map via their provided obd2/usb cable and sending them the map via email. Softronic emailed the tuned map 2 days later and I uploaded the new map again with their obd2/usb cable. It literally took less than 10 minutes to download/upload.

I'm sure I'll have more to say, but in the short term, I am ecstatic with the results

Last edited by cyk; 12-04-2012 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-23-2012, 01:54 AM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

excellent, the mod bug has started ;-) I too couldn't leave alone, but went for another tuner, although process was identical. I am amazed at how simple a significant tune is on these cars, and boy are they lively afterwards. Keep grinning.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:36 PM
rxbike
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have all of you beat. Bought my 996tt 10/25/12, got the tune from EPL 11/14/12, slipped clutch in two days, now she is getting new clutch (higher clamping force) and while we are at it, AR Design 3" Xflo street exhaust and new diverter valve too. Tony is uploading new tune to take advantage of exhaust flow so when clutch is bedded in, I can flash it again

This mod bug is getting pricey the more I play with it.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:19 PM
cyk
Instructor

Received 134 Likes on 39 Posts

It's been a few weeks with the new tune and I've found the next weakest link.....diverter valves. With the tune bumping max boost to ~1.1bar, I've now discovered the diverter valves won't hold that boost for very long. It seems with a relatively long acceleration run, the boost settles at ~.8-.9 which leads me to believe the diverters are bleeding some pressure.

Next mod dollars will go to Forge Motorsports unless someone has suggestions on a better alternative?

Thx in advance for input.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:24 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

It could be a lot of things, but did you start with fresh plugs, coils, and O2 sensors? Then check all pressurized lines for boost leaks?

Unfortunately, mods just go a long way to exposing your weakest links.

Quick Reply: Softronic Tune - I couldn't leave good enough alone!