Sponsored by:

UMW Stage 2A - Incredible!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 09:29 AM
jbtt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UMW Stage 2A - Incredible!

I had purchased a 2002 with 34K miles and a competing tune. I enjoyed the car, but knew I wanted upgraded turbos to “take it to the next level”. After making multiple inquiries as well as reading about various tuners/turbos, the posts describing experiences with UMW resonated with me and I contacted Kevin.

I was vacillating between his Stage 1 (GT1s) turbos and his Stage 2A/2B zero clearance K16/997tt Hybrid turbos. At one point, when I expressed concern that I’d want further upgrades in the future, Kevin referenced “human nature need for more”, which really struck a chord with me. I eventually chose the z/c K16/997tt turbos.

Throughout the process, Kevin provided candid guidance and feedback as well as the overall exceptional service he is known for. As an example, as Kevin was fabricating the turbos, I had expressed to Kevin the problem I had from stop—essentially, I was killing the car at times. To address my issue, until my turbos were ready, Kevin provided an interim tune at no charge.

I had a “hiccup” while waiting for the turbos—a new ECU was required due to the “other” tune, but it was all worth it. All I can say after first driving my tuned Stage 2A: Mind-blowing!! Sick Fast!! The level of boost is unbelievable! I find it amazing that I now view my car, previously ~500hp, as pedestrian when compared to the z/c turbos. Kevin and his turbos/tune did not disappoint. I thank him for all of his work and continued support, and I recommend his turbos unconditionally.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:18 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What else did you do besides swap out turbos? Any other mods?
Old 11-08-2012, 05:06 PM
jbtt
Rennlist Member

From a performance stand point, I already had a Cargraphic exhaust and H&R coilovers. Other than that, with the turbo install, I did the 5 bar fpr and standard "tune up" parts, i.e. new maf, DVs, plugs, and O2 sensors. I also upgraded my boost hoses as part of the install. Next year, I'll go with intercoolers and Kevin's clutch kit.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:19 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He breathes these pups - he IS the expert. I have a ZC on my car. Incredible is right.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:17 PM
sonk76
AutoX

Originally Posted by jbtt
I had purchased a 2002 with 34K miles and a competing tune. I enjoyed the car, but knew I wanted upgraded turbos to “take it to the next level”. After making multiple inquiries as well as reading about various tuners/turbos, the posts describing experiences with UMW resonated with me and I contacted Kevin.

I was vacillating between his Stage 1 (GT1s) turbos and his Stage 2A/2B zero clearance K16/997tt Hybrid turbos. At one point, when I expressed concern that I’d want further upgrades in the future, Kevin referenced “human nature need for more”, which really struck a chord with me. I eventually chose the z/c K16/997tt turbos.

Throughout the process, Kevin provided candid guidance and feedback as well as the overall exceptional service he is known for. As an example, as Kevin was fabricating the turbos, I had expressed to Kevin the problem I had from stop—essentially, I was killing the car at times. To address my issue, until my turbos were ready, Kevin provided an interim tune at no charge.

I had a “hiccup” while waiting for the turbos—a new ECU was required due to the “other” tune, but it was all worth it. All I can say after first driving my tuned Stage 2A: Mind-blowing!! Sick Fast!! The level of boost is unbelievable! I find it amazing that I now view my car, previously ~500hp, as pedestrian when compared to the z/c turbos. Kevin and his turbos/tune did not disappoint. I thank him for all of his work and continued support, and I recommend his turbos unconditionally.
What kind of power is the vehicle making now? any estimates?
Old 11-09-2012, 10:58 AM
jbtt
Rennlist Member

There are so many factors that can influence the power, especially with the different octanes across the country. My original stage 2 file was producing some knock, so Kevin removed some timing and boost. The estimate from Kevin (and if you contact him, he could give you a much more indepth explanation of what you potentially could expect), is around 485WHP, which is ~50 higher than the 1 bar flash from Kevin. However, with the boost coming more quickly and faster, there is a "night and day" difference! I also noticed that as I was on the stock file but with the new turbos, it was definitely quicker than the "other" tune I previously had....and, if you are just in the market for a tune, the UMW 1 bar is far superior to the 'other' tunes I've driven...
Old 11-10-2012, 07:18 PM
TachiF
Advanced

Im a stage 2A Happy UMW Camper.... There are no words to say how GREAT Kevin is. Im moving to Stage 2B soon (basically Fueling system) some 40-50whp extra. Indeed, from Kevin's Stage 1 flash to 2A its simply INSANE and CRAZY power.... Im kinda at 500+whp @ 2A.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:28 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

can anyone tell me what the difference might be between the aforementioned k16/997 turbo's..and the old school hybrid 16/24's? are they vtg??
Old 11-11-2012, 05:41 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have nearly 40k on my stage 2a upgrade. It is amazing and has been trouble free. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: UMW Stage 2A - Incredible!