Sponsored by:

New ride / quick question

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 05:19 PM
BT ZR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pnamueller
oh cmon man! your jeep is only quicker for about 10 feet!
thats about right. second gear and above the car is quick , first gear is
Old 09-23-2012, 10:03 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by BT ZR1
thats about right. second gear and above the car is quick , first gear is
I'll drive your Turbo and you drive your Jeep and you can decide for yourself which is quicker to 60 mph.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:09 PM
petonic
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dock
I'll drive your Turbo and you drive your Jeep and you can decide for yourself which is quicker to 60 mph.
But who pays for the new clutch?
Old 09-24-2012, 05:36 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by petonic
But who pays for the new clutch?
I wouldn't have to abuse the clutch to beat a stock Jeep to 60 mph. .
Old 09-24-2012, 11:35 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seriously. I know what you are talking about. Try the Home Depot Spring mod on the helper spring. It's a cheap (less than $2) reversible DIY mod.

It made a world of difference for me. I guarantee your wrangler won't be quicker off the line after you do it.

Some people say it makes the clutch to stiff, but my 53 year old, 5'0" 100 lb-ish wife loves it after the mod. Some people just need to man up.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:04 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't have a problem getting off the line quick, it's just keeping the momentum up. The first to second shift is very slow. It seems the revs are slow to drop and the 1-2 is the notchiest shift of all. I wait until I can feel that the shifter is ready to move into second before I push it. Maybe it's because I'm fearful of dreaded 2nd gear pop-out issue. I also rebuild a lot of transmissions and know them mechanically pretty well. The one in the Turbo feels much slower to shift than in my 996 NA car.

Any ideas on how to shift it faster? I'm afraid to try to speed shift it.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:10 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I have no issues at all with making a very quick 1-2 shift. My slowest shift, relative to all the other shifts, is the 2-3 shift.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:50 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nick49
I don't have a problem getting off the line quick, it's just keeping the momentum up. The first to second shift is very slow. It seems the revs are slow to drop and the 1-2 is the notchiest shift of all. I wait until I can feel that the shifter is ready to move into second before I push it. Maybe it's because I'm fearful of dreaded 2nd gear pop-out issue. I also rebuild a lot of transmissions and know them mechanically pretty well. The one in the Turbo feels much slower to shift than in my 996 NA car.

Any ideas on how to shift it faster? I'm afraid to try to speed shift it.
I have the same issue on the 1-2. Definitely the notchiest of the transitions. Mine isn't too bad though. I do the same as you in normal driving, but when I'm in a hurry I just give it a sharp tug into 2nd. I've never had it grind or pop back.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:56 AM
SEAFORE
Intermediate

Wink thanks for the comments!

Several stated what I have found. The clutch is difficult, at least at first. Easing the clutch pedal back until it starts to engage, and then nail it/let remaining pedal out at same time seems to be the smooth and easy way to start. That said, this exact point at which the car just starts moving and the pedal is fully let out and full gas is difficult to hit just right.

Funny story as I was learning the clutch:

This bozo pulls up beside me in the right lane at a red light. Clearly he knows the right lane ends in about 100 ft past the light. He has a an older Camry. His chest is on the steering wheel and the car keeps inching forward. I am completely amazed at this point, he must know it is my new car and I cannot operate the clutch . The light changes and he rockets forward. I let the clutch out too little and all my wife hears is rpm's, very little car movement. By the time I start moving he is 50 ft ahead and in my lane. My wife looks over at me and tells me 'you have to watch the red light carefully if you want to drag race!!"

I am better now, but still scared of hurting my new baby!
Old 09-26-2012, 12:01 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Do yourself a favor...if you want a clutch feel that is predictable and reliable lose the accumulator and go with the GT2 clutch slave setup. Difference is night and day.

Quick Reply: New ride / quick question