Sponsored by:

75K Miles OK for a 2003

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 06:19 PM
Kelsey
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 75K Miles OK for a 2003

Hi, I am in the process of evaluating a 2003 996 Turbo with 75,000 miles. I plan on having a PPI with leak down test done and the car has all receipts for me to review. Not sure if the clutch was replaced yet but should know soon.

I was wondering what you think about the mileage? The price is right; probably because of the mileage but I was a bit unsure about reliability as the miles get closer to 80, 90, 100,000? I plan on using this as a daily driver (work from home so not many miles each year). Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-19-2012, 06:30 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I hope so as mine has 71K on it. I havent had any problems since my E drive module went out 15K miles ago.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Kelsey
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Never mind. I found a post that covers everything. Thanks
Old 09-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Is it the one by a Turbo owner who's car has over 300K miles on it?

No one can see the future but chances are if the car checks out the engine checks out ok the car will be as good as any going forward.

You can do a compression test if you want ... but you should test drive the car.

A compression test may (I said may) spot a down cylinder but it can't tell you if the engine even runs. It can't tell you if the MAF is shot, the O2 sensors don't work, the converters are blocked, if the steering is bent, and so on.

Test drive the car.

Visit the car with the engine cold. Start the engine and when you do verify the CEL and all other lights come on then go off when the engine starts.

Let the engine idle while you walk around looking the car but also listening to the engine as it idles and warms up.

After 10 minutes or so have the seller take you on a 15 mile test ride. Be sure to insist the route taken will give the seller a chance to demo the car.

You want to experience the car in stop/start traffic, steady state running and a few full throttle blasts and hard braking. No need to light up the tires or confirm the car can top 189mph but just to be sure the engine pulls smoothy/strongly from idle to redline and recovers and acts ok after. And the car stops straight and true with no scary behavior.

Back at the starting point take the car out as a driver and cover the same route, drive the car the same way.

Remember too the car is just a used car so give it a thorough bazillion check point used car check out.

Then a PPI if you still like the car and believe you can buy it.

Oh, my 03 Turbo has over 97K miles and still runs just great and has not had a lot of issues. Just one since it came out of CPO warranty over a year ago and at around 60K miles. The issue? A noisy (high pitched squeal) from a power steering fluid tank valve.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:11 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

My 03 now has 49k miles and is a DD. I have had zero issues with it and intend to keep it forever. Needless to say, I maintain this car like it was made of gold. They have an excellent rep for longevity if you maintain them properly. I would not worry about the mileage.Make sure it has a very good service history and then take Macster's advice for most things
Old 09-21-2012, 11:55 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm at 61k and o problems. If it has been properly cared for and not abused, you shouldn't worry too much. These cars are built to last. That said, wear items will tend to need replacing the more miles the car has. Just be sure to budget for repairs and maintenance
Old 09-22-2012, 02:23 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelsey
Never mind. I found a post that covers everything. Thanks
never mind? cool. see you in a year!

all kidding aside, i just last week passed 100k miles in my current tt, while on my way to pick up another go-kart so i could give the old girl a rest. i paid what i thought was top dollar last year; mileage and all ( 75k miles last summer ) and i'll put this thing up against... well, let's just say: "if she had a set of wings, man i know she could fly"

also, i drove it for about ten minutes before i bought it. what ppi

Quick Reply: 75K Miles OK for a 2003