Sponsored by:

The Porsche Tax

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 01:37 PM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
buy a 996tt already modded. im going to see a stage 2+gmg built 996 on sat. the cost of the car with the deal i made shows the entire 30k$ build is.... FREE! best way ever to buy mods
Great way to do it of course, but too late in my case. I found this one at Porsche North Scottsdale, and they were actually willing to roll the dice and take my H1 Hummer in on trade. Done deal. The H1 Hummer is another case of mods priced based on the brand. The Hummer forum guys talk about the Hummer Tax as well. Guess it's all the traffic will bear sort of world.

Cheers
Mikey
Old 08-07-2012, 01:46 PM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
A Bonanza is now a $650,000 airplane. Parts are directly related to the cost of the aircraft. I also agree, parts for a plane are stupidly expensive due to the incredibly stupid "deep pockets" aspect of US liability laws. Brake rotors for a Lear 45 are $50,000. Each!
Yep, Beechcraft treats the parts pricing EXACTLY as if it was going on a 2012 A36. And in many cases for the airframe and powerplant anyway, they actually ARE the same parts; the Bonanza hasn't changed significantly since my old 66' V35 was built. Beech has an annoying tendency to repack parts and then add two zeros to the left of the decimal point. Take landing gear rod ends. An HM-5 Heim from aircraft spruce is less than $40. From Beech it's over $400! Same part, same package, just a Beechcraft sticker slapped on. Lear is nothing, try Gulfstream! Now your at next level expenses.

Cheers
Mikey
Old 08-07-2012, 02:13 PM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Toyota Supra Twin Turbo similar to a 996 Turbo

Saying something like that over on 6speed might be considered acceptable, but here ...
Hi Lewis,

Ah so, my bad. Honest mistake, but I gotta say the Porsche snobbery gets tiring sometimes. There is certainly the cache factor in P-cars, it a huge reason why we buy them. However, apples to apples specification wise, in the case of the Supra TT, it's not exactly an unfair comparison. Aesthetics aside, those conversations are pointless, you either like the Supra aesthetics or you don't. But have you ever driven one? They are solidly built; my son's is a 97' with 88k miles, and it has nary a squeak or rattle anywhere after 15 years. It has 320 bullet proof Toyota reliable horsepower bone stock,(more than a stock 993 of the day), it pulls like the proverbial freight train. Not as hard as the 03 996TT of course, but that's 100hp and 250 lbs talking. They handle very well, with very large mono-block brakes, not Brembo's but not bad either. They are very similarly appointed inside, comfy leather sport seating, great ergonomics, and just like the Porsche, literally all areas of the car can be vastly improved. Just throw money at it. The difference is how much money for how much improvement. The Supra leads that contest hands down.

Again, I am NOT a Jap tuner car guy, that's my son who watches Fast and Furious movies and lusts after all the eye candy. The Supra is his dream car not mine. I HAVE mine now! I'm a P-car guy, always have been. I'm 50 yrs old. At age 21, my first Porsche was a Guards Red 75' 914 2.0 that I just loved. We've had a 77' 930, a 95' 993, a 99' 996, and 4 different 968's. Always Porsches, always. But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate a car like the Supra TT for what it is. Not a Porsche, but not bad either.

But, for the sake of forum harmony, I'll keep my Supra comparisons to a minimum hereafter.

Cheers
Mikey
Old 08-07-2012, 02:26 PM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blockhed
Mikey what do you do for a living?
After i feed my new born baby I'll dive into this discussion but the phrase " you pay to play" comes to mind :") Mikey how much is your insurance in AZ for the car if you don't mind me asking, I'd be curious to compare with NJ.
I am an electrical engineer, I design integrate circuit chips, for Freescale Semiconductor. I also fly Search and Rescue part time for the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office. I understand pay to play, but I begrudge paying one penny more than absolutely needed to play.

Speaking of paying, I pay $1655/Year, for a 300/100/300 policy, $500 deductible, Farm Bureau, which was actually $120 les per year than the H1 Hummer it replaced.

Cheers
Mikey
Old 08-07-2012, 02:35 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The 996 Turbo was overproduced, at least in relation to previous Turbos, but you need to remember that is was in the middle of the evil Dr. W's "100K cars/year or bust" 10 year plan.

I think the term "Porsche Tax" is painting with a very broad brush.
Using the same logic (amortization of tooling, non recurrent development costs, etc) could be applied to a Rolex watch.
The Rolex is expensive to service/clean, yet the design is so mature that shouldn't be the case, yet it is. Rolex watches are somewhat mass produced and are equivalent to a 996 Turbo in their respective community hierarchy.

Larry's widow's Bugatti Veyron has $30,000 tires from Michelin. Does that mean there is a Bugatti Tax or Michelin Tax?

Many many years ago (during the oil embargo), a man walked into a Cadillac dealership and looked at a 1970 Eldorado (500 cubic inch V8). He asked what the gas mileage was.
The salesman replied "if you have to ask about the gas mileage, you shouldn't be buying a Cadillac".
Old 08-07-2012, 02:37 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by quick968
I am an electrical engineer, I design integrate circuit chips, for Freescale Semiconductor. I also fly Search and Rescue part time for the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office. I understand pay to play, but I begrudge paying one penny more than absolutely needed to play.

Speaking of paying, I pay $1655/Year, for a 300/100/300 policy, $500 deductible, Farm Bureau, which was actually $120 les per year than the H1 Hummer it replaced.

Cheers
Mikey
Hopefully they are analog IC's and not those IC's with WAY too many pins.

I still have nightmares when I printed out the documentation for the iMX503 processor .... 3000+ pages and I stopped the printer.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:45 PM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
snip
I think the term "Porsche Tax" is painting with a very broad brush.
snip
Many many years ago (during the oil embargo), a man walked into a Cadillac dealership and looked at a 1970 Eldorado (500 cubic inch V8). He asked what the gas mileage was.
The salesman replied "if you have to ask about the gas mileage, you shouldn't be buying a Cadillac".
Touche'

I'm buying one of Enrique's setups, it'll just take a while to save up the sheckels. I'll hush and eat my mush.

Cheers
Mikey
Old 08-07-2012, 02:48 PM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Hopefully they are analog IC's and not those IC's with WAY too many pins.

I still have nightmares when I printed out the documentation for the iMX503 processor .... 3000+ pages and I stopped the printer.
Yep. Pure analog. I'm on the team designing the new power management chips that go onto....wait for it.....the new iMX platforms.

Mikey
Old 08-07-2012, 03:20 PM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

Wow why so.much for insurance? Im on full blown coverage at 1000 deductible with Flo aka progressive at $950/ year . Enrique stuff is top notch.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:49 PM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blockhed
Wow why so.much for insurance? Im on full blown coverage at 1000 deductible with Flo aka progressive at $950/ year . Enrique stuff is top notch.
Ah, but do you have 4 vehicles, and two of them are driven by teenagers? They rate all vehicles as if they could be driven by any licensed driver in the household. Not that they can lay a finger on the steering wheel of the 996TT, but the insurance companies don't care. The 19 yr old drives the Supra, and the 16yr old drives the Jeep. Insurance companies LOVE households with teenage male drivers....

Cheers
Mikey
Old 08-07-2012, 04:55 PM
uschoice
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, but do you have 4 vehicles, and two of them are driven by teenagers? They rate all vehicles as if they could be driven by any licensed driver in the household. Not that they can lay a finger on the steering wheel of the 996TT, but the insurance companies don't care. The 19 yr old drives the Supra, and the 16yr old drives the Jeep. Insurance companies LOVE households with teenage male drivers....

Cheers
Mikey
Mikey,

Check if your carrier will only provide coverage for you (and spouse?). I have Mercury and they would only cover me and my wife. The kids are prohibited from the policy for the Porsche.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:49 PM
turbosjedi
Advanced

Discounting inflation, I paid more for my last engine (TSIO-550) than the 210 cost new in 1977. I was interested in the insurance costs, I had no idea till I looked it up what we pay here in Idaho..

2005 TurboS Cabriolet - $0.00 Detectable for Glass, $500.00 for collision, and all the rest costs me a tad under $840.00 per year. But that is with the multi discount, no accident, no speeding tickets, no kids under 25..... My wife, on the other hand, is a different story
Old 08-07-2012, 07:54 PM
turbosjedi
Advanced

Hey uschoice, did you buy your TurboS from Phillips Auto? If so, I saw that car advertised in auto trader, and by the time I got around to making the trip down it was sold...Beautiful car...
Old 08-07-2012, 09:01 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Yep. Pure analog. I'm on the team designing the new power management chips that go onto....wait for it.....the new iMX platforms.

Mikey

PMIC chips?
The successors to Ripley and Patron?

I must admit, my last iMX design used a TI 659108 rather than the FSC PMIC.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:04 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

In defense of exhausts, the Europipe is an absolute work of art.
It is very highly regarded and has many satisfied customers.
Porsche tax ( and foreign exchange rates and strength of the US dollar aside ) it is an example of "worth the money"

Quick Reply: The Porsche Tax