Sponsored by:

What a goofy problem...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default What a goofy problem...

Turbo felt funny the other day. I checked tire pressures. Both fronts were ok but the right rear tire checked in at 44psi while left rear checked in at 40psi.

In a hurry I let some air out of the right rear to bring it down to 40ps and drove on. Car felt better. (IIRC 44psi the recommended air pressure for a fully loaded Turbo, while 40psi is for lightly loaded car.)

Later in the day at a gas station I decided to add a few psi to both rear tires.

While I was able to add a few psi to the right rear the left rear tire refused to take air.

Tried the air pump in the car with no success.

Took the car by the dealer this AM and tech found the tire stem/air valve busted.

Left car to have tech remove tire and check it and then replace the tire stem/core and remount and balance the tire/wheel.

I've encountered a few tires with leaky valve stems/valve cores but never one that broke and would not let air in the tire.

Oh, while the car is in the shop for the tire stem/core at the same time elected to have the power steering valve replaced to kill that high pitched squeal.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: What a goofy problem...