Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taillights w/ broken mounting points

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 10:05 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Over in the Prius forums there are actual heartfelt posts about "how to make my Prius faster" and "how I improved handling".

I'm a purist A1 never goes on a good steak.

I like the tabs, and I'd much rather buy those than a new set of lights. Plus I have to sort out my spoiler and about to buy the rennkit.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:32 AM
Berra
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
You are missing the point. These brackets can work in two ways. One as a repair for broken mounts, the other as a preservation tool.

Over time due to heat, aging and vibration the mounting points on 996 taillights crack and then break.

These brackets will prevent the mounting tabs on your factory original pristine lights from breaking by spreading the mounting force across the entire rear edge of the housing without marring the housing in any way. They can be considered a protection device, like a clear bra.
I understand what you're saying and I do in fact agree that it's a nice way of getting the issue solved, but I wouldn't be ok with the idea of having those pieces there, just wouldn't feel right.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:41 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,554 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Berra
I understand what you're saying and I do in fact agree that it's a nice way of getting the issue solved, but I wouldn't be ok with the idea of having those pieces there, just wouldn't feel right.
If buying $1000 replacement taillights feels better than preserving your originals you are contradicting your own previous "purity" statement. Do you also know taillights have manufacture date codes on them so if you do buy replacements and then someday sell the car an astute buyer will note the taillights have been replaced and possibly think the car may have been in a small accident.

Are you anti clear bra too?
Old 02-02-2016, 11:34 AM
Berra
Pro

If buying $1000 replacement taillights feels better than preserving your originals you are contradicting your own previous "purity" statement. Do you also know taillights have manufacture date codes on them so if you do buy replacements and then someday sell the car an astute buyer will note the taillights have been replaced and possibly think the car may have been in a small accident.

Are you anti clear bra too?
I would hope that the buyer would know why, if not, go buy some other 996 Turbo. It's not my problem what a potential buyer thinks, but then again, I will probably never sell my car.

No, but clear bra is a different story.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:36 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

....No, but clear bra is a different story.
How is a clear bra a different story?
Old 02-02-2016, 01:44 PM
Berra
Pro

How is a clear bra a different story?
Isn't it obvious? It's there to protect the car!
Old 02-02-2016, 02:00 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Isn't it obvious? It's there to protect the car!
Yes, it is obvious. The clear bra protects the paint, these brackets protect the taillights.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:44 PM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Taillights w/ broken mounting points

Its pretty simple, a clear bra is to PROTECT the cars paintwork from stonechips.

This is to REPAIR broken tail light mounting points, yes you can use as preventative maintenance, however if you go back to the start of the thread it was not designed for this purpose.

I like originality, I fitted a rennkit to my car also, as I felt it was an upgrade, not a repair. Personally if I was buying a Porsche that had this repair I would walk away.

Owners attitudes towards ownership are shown in the little areas.

Kudos to the OP for ingenuity in the repair, it all depends on your own expectations and budget.

Edit: If buying a road going Porsche I would walk away.

Last edited by Pel; 02-02-2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:58 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pel
Its pretty simple, a clear bra is to PROTECT the cars paintwork from stonechips.

This is to REPAIR broken tail light mounting points, yes you can use as preventative maintenance, however if you go back to the start of the thread it was not designed for this purpose.

I like originality, I fitted a rennkit to my car also, as I felt it was an upgrade, not a repair. Personally if I was buying a Porsche that had this repair I would walk away.

Owners attitudes towards ownership are shown in the little areas.

Kudos to the OP for ingenuity in the repair, it all depends on your own expectations and budget.

Edit: If buying a road going Porsche I would walk away.

Sorry but you are not undestanding the whole picture. These are not just to repair broken taillight mounts. See post #122.

You can use these brackets to preserve the delicate mounting points on original taillights that are still in perfect conduction. Thus keeping them original.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:37 PM
Pel
Pro

Marvellous, I have misunderstood, looks like a great product. GLWS
Old 02-02-2016, 09:47 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Guy makes a product solution because he loves his Porsche (we all love ours). What's the big disconnect. If anyone whether you use it or not can't appreciate the passion he put in, then I'm afraid we are all doomed. Anyone who helps keep these cars on the road looking good is simply keeping the relevance they have alive and well.

Everyone is in love with the singer Porsche (s) and they aren't even close to original.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:04 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrox
If anyone whether you use it or not can't appreciate the passion he put in, then I'm afraid we are all doomed.
So who here has disparaged him?
Old 02-03-2016, 10:13 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrox
Plus I have to sort out my spoiler and about to buy the rennkit.
sorry, couldn't help myself...
Old 02-03-2016, 08:49 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Originally Posted by Engineerboy100
We are done with 3D modeling, next we will convert to machine language for machining molds, then we will cast and coat parts Stay tuned

The 4th picture looks like my liver
Old 03-11-2016, 04:03 PM
310JAY
Instructor

These are $29.99 right? where can we order?

Quick Reply: Taillights w/ broken mounting points