Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 01:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Byron in MS

This part is not compatible with 2001 Porsche 911 Turbo 3.6L .
... at least when I enter the data into the configurator

And FWIW, the picture of the car on that eBay ad is actually a Ruf conversion, not an OEM Turbo.
(RUF has this "thing" about only working on narrow bodies, not wide bodies.)

I would be skeptical if these parts would fit your 01 Turbo.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Byron in MS
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay, here are pics of my taillights after my "fix". Not beautiful, but functional. I used .019 mm aluminium and some small sheet metal screws. I used my Dremel tool to cut the screws flush on the back side of the lamp assembly. Seems to me these should have had some metal reinforcement from the start, but what do I know?

Old 08-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

The MacGyver approach to maintaining a Turbo...
Old 08-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Datura
Instructor

Location: Big Bend region of West Texas/Hill Country near Austin. Texas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Ha, ha, ha!! That’s the spirit Byron!
I know some of you like to poke fun at us trying to figure out a fix instead of just pulling out the credit card, and that is cool, but in my case we grew up thinking outside the box as a requirement to physical and fiscal survival. By the time I was a teenager growing up in the ranching business in the middle of nowhere, I could pretty much weave gold from straw. Baling wire was that eras duct tape. You could make a temporary horse bridle or rope quickly out of the long fibers found in Spanish dagger leaves. My mother couldn’t keep clothes hangers in the house because we used them as welding rods. I remember several times cutting off a big fat mesquite thorn to use as a temporary plug for a leaking tire that had just run over a thorn.
This past April my pretty panther GF and I were heading out to the Big Bend Open Road Race in west Texas towing my Carrera S on a trailer. It was hot and not a town within 20 miles. As we topped a hill, one of the turbo tubes on the truck let go. A clamp had failed and the boost blew the hose off. The clamp disappeared. It sounded like the truck had blown up.
My pretty panther GF started making noises that we were all gonna be found deceased and desiccated in the desert and was freaking that there was no cell service. I got out of the truck, walked along the right-of-way fence, found a bunch of loose wire. I put the turbo hose back in place and used some pliers to twist that wire nice and tight where the clamp had been and we were on our way in 15 minutes. I think the pretty panther GF was disappointed that there wasn’t more drama involved, her being a city girl and all.
Our different backgrounds and perspectives make life more interesting I think.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:06 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Datura
....but in my case we grew up thinking outside the box as a requirement to physical and fiscal survival.
Hope you don't think you're the only one.

Given a survival situation I can improvise too. The difference is I don't consider a busted Turbo tail light a survival situation.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:28 PM
AngelOfGrief
8th Gear

I had this problem, here is what I did. I took the taillight home, then found a large washer and cut it to look like the broken piece. Then I heated up the washer in a cigarette lighter's flame while holding it with plyers. While very hot I pressed the washer against the plastic from underneath and it burned its way deep into it. After it cooled down, I applied some glue over it to make the thing firmer. It's working fine for me so far.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:30 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Datura
Ha, ha, ha!! That’s the spirit Byron!
I know some of you like to poke fun at us trying to figure out a fix instead of just pulling out the credit card, and that is cool, but in my case we grew up thinking outside the box as a requirement to physical and fiscal survival. By the time I was a teenager growing up in the ranching business in the middle of nowhere, I could pretty much weave gold from straw. Baling wire was that eras duct tape. You could make a temporary horse bridle or rope quickly out of the long fibers found in Spanish dagger leaves. My mother couldn’t keep clothes hangers in the house because we used them as welding rods. I remember several times cutting off a big fat mesquite thorn to use as a temporary plug for a leaking tire that had just run over a thorn.
This past April my pretty panther GF and I were heading out to the Big Bend Open Road Race in west Texas towing my Carrera S on a trailer. It was hot and not a town within 20 miles. As we topped a hill, one of the turbo tubes on the truck let go. A clamp had failed and the boost blew the hose off. The clamp disappeared. It sounded like the truck had blown up.
My pretty panther GF started making noises that we were all gonna be found deceased and desiccated in the desert and was freaking that there was no cell service. I got out of the truck, walked along the right-of-way fence, found a bunch of loose wire. I put the turbo hose back in place and used some pliers to twist that wire nice and tight where the clamp had been and we were on our way in 15 minutes. I think the pretty panther GF was disappointed that there wasn’t more drama involved, her being a city girl and all.
Our different backgrounds and perspectives make life more interesting I think.
GOD BLESS AMERICA.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:23 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Engineerboy100
I am developing a permanent fix for this if anyone still needs it. The fix will look stock, you will be able to keep you old lights no matter how badly they are cracked and the install is just a matter of removing the two mount screws, placing the mount bracket over the existing "mess" and replace the two screws. the price will be $29.95 free shipping for a set of two right and left, material will be ABS or Aluminum your choice. Clint Hightower check out my youtube channel it is the same as my name here engineerboy100.
ill take a set in aluminum
Old 01-25-2016, 07:53 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Engineerboy100
Oops Sorry I'm still learning how to post on here I'm new at that. I should have some ready within the next two weeks. I will post pics and links to videos of how to install , what they look like what kind of aluminum etc. spread the word.
or you could just post the link.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:52 AM
Pmafia
Intermediate

I would be interested in this, keep us posted
Old 01-25-2016, 12:52 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Oh noes! your taillight hold downs are broken (common) and otherwise perfect.

You better not fix those with some common sense better spend $1,000 plus to fix that problem.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:22 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
ill take a set in aluminum
+1^
Old 01-25-2016, 03:42 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
+1^
+1. Mine aren't cracked (yet), but this could be a preventive measure.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:12 PM
crash41301
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fishey
Oh noes! your taillight hold downs are broken (common) and otherwise perfect.

You better not fix those with some common sense better spend $1,000 plus to fix that problem.

^ This. You guys acting as if he is duct taping the bumpers on, or running around with duct tape around turbo charge pipes need to realize this isnt a 100k+ car anymore. Its a ~40k car. Im not advocating ghetto rigging it, but fixing some plastic mounts that broke and remounting the tail lights vs spending $1000 on tail lights THAT WILL DO THIS AGAIN isnt a big deal. Now the tape he mentioned originally... that was ghetto
Old 01-27-2016, 11:01 PM
Ck986
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Taillights w/ broken mounting points

My fix is going to harbor freight and buying a plastic welder for $15. Take two washers and weld plastic around them. Then sand and paint with wurths satin black. Mine were cracked so I just welded the bottom and ran the iron over the top to get rid of the crack. I then painted them and they look good as new. Yours are in worse shape but can be fixed. The plastic welder is great for parts that aren't very visible.

I also used the welder to fix a cracked under mount side skirt.

Quick Reply: Taillights w/ broken mounting points