Sponsored by:

Front frame or subframe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 09:38 PM
NYC996x50
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front frame or subframe?

Just wondering what this piece of metal is next to the green bolt. looks like a metal sheet on top of metal. i'm thinking it's the front subframe

i've seen wrecked 911's taken apart and the only thing i notice is a big side rail attached to the tub which is painted like the rest of the car....
Attached Images   
Old 07-23-2012, 10:03 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Does this pic from my car help you?

It shows obviously some formed rail that runs along side the front trunk the 'tub'.

It is not a structural item though, as best I can tell.

From another (front on view) angle the front end is open to some extent and inside is bolted the assembly that holds the front bumper rail with its shock absorber. See pics below...

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:15 PM
NYC996x50
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank marc for the pics. the one im looking for is underneath or maybe medial to the rails. im assuming the the weird looking metal beams is the actual frame on which the subframe is attached to...

whatever the subframe is attached to, both sides dont look identical.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

I checked my library of pics and I do not have any of my car that show that area. I did find one that showed a portion of one of the stiffeners -- the two rails that form a 'V' at the top of the pic and then their legs extend out -- and the ones on my car look to be heavy duty tube material flattened and drilled at each end.

But that may not mean anything.

Wait, my mistake. I realized that you were showing the underneath of the front of the car. I have no idea what this looks like for my car. I've never seen it with its panels off.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Front frame or subframe?