Received 203 Likes on 120 Posts

I recommend quality counseling

Thanks again for sharing.

I can't learn enough.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:52 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

actually, i keep my own counsel. but thanks again.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:14 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

I have a small leak in my sai which drives fine but after clearing the cel with obd2 it comes back after a few hours of driving. It does not really bother me much. I do have to pass an emission test and am wondering if I do clear the code and do the readiness procedure without the cel coming on, do you think I will pass? I plan to do the readiness procedure this weekend.
Otherwise, I will get the engine dropped and have the coolant lines pinned/welded and take care of this at the same time. (also will do the gt3 dipstick and the coolant hoses and bottle and water pump).
Old 04-07-2017, 06:32 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

if it's anything as severe as it is down here ( CA ) then the obd will inform the tester that you had recently cleared a code! and that is a "fail". its becoming insane and the whole process ( if your monitors are not in "ready" ) is almost "punitive" now.

they refer to our cars as having a "high emitter profile" and i don't think they mean this as a term of endearment.

don't know what it's like in toronto.. but here? whew.. ( geez, wish my car had the gt3 dipstick mod! good call..! )
Old 04-07-2017, 06:37 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

I think if I clear the codes and do the readiness procedure (detailed earlier in this thread) then the monitors will be ready and should pass. In Toronto the codes must be ready as they do use the obd2 reader up here (what a scam btw).
just wondering if you guys think it would pass if no codes and ready. My logic indicates it should pass.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:13 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
thank you. it wasn't easy, and to reward myself i have been re-discovering the benefits of the upper rev limit.

the suffering i endured has wholly subsided.

Good to hear you're back on it. You guys have it tough. Thankfully, our smog control here is just an ocean breeze...
Old 04-07-2017, 07:53 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Good to hear you're back on it. You guys have it tough. Thankfully, our smog control here is just an ocean breeze...
ha, thanks! you are lucky to be anywhere other than here. at least as relates bureaucracy and tests lol..

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I think if I clear the codes and do the readiness procedure (detailed earlier in this thread) then the monitors will be ready and should pass. In Toronto the codes must be ready as they do use the obd2 reader up here (what a scam btw).
just wondering if you guys think it would pass if no codes and ready. My logic indicates it should pass.
hey dan, unless i'm misunderstanding the only issue you're having is with an intermittent sai code? and if it's cleared and your monitors all show "ready"? then yeah, i would think you shouldn't have an issue with "passing". though, i would ask the "tester" - before they actuallly plugged you in with the cars VIN etc - whether or not a recently cleared code would be an automatic "fail"?

because that's one of the more distinctly troublesome hurdles "we" have to deal with here. so you need also to know how many "not ready's" are allowable for an obd scan "pass". they'll at least tell you pre obd, since it's not a game of "gotcha" so much as it is just overly stringent and even arbitrary requirements. seems to me, that emission testing alone! would tell the tail 'o the tailpipe. so all this other bullsh*t we are forced to do,.. is just that. the irony i'll always remember, is that my car was fully emissions compliant...even if the ECU wouldn't "cooperate" with the monitors showing ALL ready.

so, last year the requirements "here" were changed ( from previously 2 allowable "not ready" ) to allow but ONE "not ready" and the only one at that, would be the "EVAP". i suppose because "they" figure that could be as simple as a gas cap not fully sealing

so really, forewarned, is forearmed in this case. i would try to find out what monitors you "can" vs "can not" have in "ready"(?) and also if a "recently" ( e.g. -100 miles or less ) cleared code via obd scanning, is an "auto fail"! then proceed with caution lol. the days of rolling into the bay and rolling out in 10 mins are ( for many ) about as rare as a decent $20 steak.

my persistently stubborn issue driving me at 30mph to nearly the brink of madness, was "cat not ready'!! but i found there's more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:58 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

we are allowed 2 not ready monitors. but if I do the readiness procedure they should all be ready and I would think it would pass even if cel was on recently but cleared and readied.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:03 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
if it's anything as severe as it is down here ( CA ) then the obd will inform the tester that you had recently cleared a code! and that is a "fail". its becoming insane and the whole process ( if your monitors are not in "ready" ) is almost "punitive" now.

they refer to our cars as having a "high emitter profile" and i don't think they mean this as a term of endearment.

don't know what it's like in toronto.. but here? whew.. ( geez, wish my car had the gt3 dipstick mod! good call..! )
Setting a monitor to ready is different than clearing a code so it shouldn't raise any flags to the emissions tester.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:38 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Setting a monitor to ready is different than clearing a code so it shouldn't raise any flags to the emissions tester.
i understand the difference. in CA one cannot have a "recently" cleared code. or any present cel. or any monitor other than "EVAP" in "NOT" ready mode. so there are a couple of different criteria that testers use, that will result in a "fail".

but as long as monitors are ready and no cels have been cleared within a certain number of miles ( how many, is anyones guess..) AND that emissions are within allowable ranges, then presumably one would "pass".

the real impediment to a smooth testing procedure, is the monitors and the difficulty many encounter when attempting to "set" them.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:44 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by Turbodan
we are allowed 2 not ready monitors. but if I do the readiness procedure they should all be ready and I would think it would pass even if cel was on recently but cleared and readied.
well, you're fortunate in that they will allow (2). but to jhbrennan's point. the cleared cel can stop you even if the monitors are all "ready" as they are different criteria and not necessarily related.

e.g. i had no cels. but my cat monitor wasn't "ready"! but up there where you are? this wouldn't have been an issue. however, we are in an alternate universe of seemingly arbitrary and punitive regulations and requirements down here, vis a vis never ending and continual "compliance" with the "state".

you should be fine. i would just be sure you'd driven *enough* after clearing ANY "cel" prior to having them enter your vin into the system etc.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:33 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

From what I've been able to determine on my 996, two events will set monitors to "not ready" -

1) Clearing a code
2) disconnecting the battery

Obviously a failure in one of the monitor testing algorithms would set the monitor to "not ready" also.

In Texas we can pass with all but one monitor showing "ready". I recently had to do the drive cycle to reset the monitors after clearing a CEL code for a misfire. The drive cycle was tedious but it worked. I don't envy any of you that are subject to CA testing requirements.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:31 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

absolutely, those will do it. as will removing cats and re-installing them as the ecu needs a lot of time ( presumably? ) to recognize the change..

i had successfully completed the drive cycle reset a couple of times previously. the only difference this time, was the swapping in/out of the cats.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:51 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

I downloaded the torque app and took the car for a drive following the readiness procedure. When I came back all of the monitors except secondary air were ready. I called my local etester and he said it is fine with that one monitor on, took the car over and it passed! Now I can renew my plate and drive
the torque app is pretty cool btw.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:23 PM
diet97993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are some excellent threads on here concerning the issue of emission monitors and drive cycle management if you will just search for them. The key elements are Drive 50-60MPH and do not exceed 3000 RPM pretty much the same as the BMW. The professor concerning this topic is Lorenfb. He be the man on all this drive cycle stuff. He's located in Manhattan Beach CA.

Quick Reply: ALMOST passed smog - SOLVED w/drive cycle procedure