Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rats! Flat tire! Rats! Insult to injury...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 11:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Rats! Flat tire! Rats! Insult to injury...

is the left rear tire had some tread life left. I checked with the SM and these tires were installed at 72K miles and the odometer was reading just over 95K so the tires had 23K miles on them and believe it or not the tread depth remaining was 3mm.

Rats! A flat and with some tire life remaining. Rats!

But the good news is when I bought the tires they came with a road hazard coverage of some kind (IIRC cost was around $7/tire!) and with 3mm of tread left -- the lower limit is 2mm -- the left rear tire is covered. I only had to buy and pay to have one tire mounted and balanced.

Oh, the screw was in the center of a tread block of the outside tread of the tire. The tech -- at a nearby indy tire store I use for flat fixing (the Porsche dealer won't fix flats anymore) -- patched the tire but he told me when he gave me the tire it probably wouldn't last/hold air long and I should replace the tire.

I installed the fixed tire and drove the car just around the block and then parked it up to run some errands that required I use my sister's Infiniti EX35.

At around 5pm that evening at the local dealer I asked an off duty Porsche tech if he would ride with me in my sister's car to my house -- just 1.5 miles away -- and drive the Turbo back to the dealer for me while I followed over in the Infiniti.

He agreed but when we arrived at the Turbo the left rear tire was low. It would not pump up. The patch didn't hold or more likely the screw damaged the sidewall being the screw was so close to the sidewall.

But on Thursday when I spoke to the parts manager he ordered a new pair of rear tires for me.

So, Friday early I removed both rear wheels -- I have a spare scissors jack and both rear tires in the air -- and hauled both over to the dealer to await the arrival of the new tires which came in a bit early at 10am when I was told they usually arrive at 11am.

The tech mounted and balanced the new tires and later in the evening I picked up the wheels with the new tires mounted them and in a few minutes had them installed back on the car.

BTW, I learned the Turbo's tool kit comes with a long plain tire stud to use to keep the wheel from dropping off the hub and marring the wheel or damaging the rotor (especially if the car -- not my car darnit! -- is fitted with PCCBs). I ordered 2 more of these to have handy. $13/each.

Car is going in Tuesday for an oil/filter service and I think the new power steering tank with its quiet valve is in and that's going to be done at the same time.

I'm sold on tire road hazard coverage.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:58 PM
uschoice
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Macster- Glad to hear you worked it out, and got a covered replacement tire to boot. What tires did you go with?
Old 07-18-2012, 04:10 PM
Macster
Race Director

Same tire brand that was on the car: Bridgestone. I forget the model number but they're N rated tires.

Just a heads up: Be sitting down when you get a quote on Turbo rear tires. Based on the invoice the tires cost nearly $500 each. Thank goodness I only had to pay for one!

However the front tires are down to 2mm and that's getting close to their replacement point so I'm facing buying 2 new front tires, but maybe not right away. I think I can nurse another couple of months out of the front tires.

Power steering valve work not done. Part (tank with valve) not ordered. The parts manager had some questions for the tech regarding the right part to order and due to the turmoil arising from the new Boxster intro preparation the other day the parts manager/tech didn't have to time to get together and get the questions resolved.

No problem. The parts will be ordered soon, may have already been ordered. When they come in I'll arrange to drop the car off and have the work done, maybe as soon as later this week.

In the meantime, new rear tires and fresh oil/filter, and gasoline down to $3.859/gallon. Yay!

Not time to drive the car though, except just back and forth to work.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:40 PM
uschoice
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the replacement cost is ridiculously high. Seems more than a few guys have switched to Sumo tires and love them, for half the cost. I still have the Michelins on mine, but will have to think hard when its time to replace them.
Well, at least you get seat time; even if it's just for work. Sometimes I don't get the chance to get the car out for two weeks at a time.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:29 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the road hazard onj the turbo, especially the rears. $484 plus mounting. PS2s.

Unfortunately I have two cars with PS2s that need tires in the next week weeks.... so I've been driving around construction sites the last few weeks!
Old 07-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Hope you have better luck than I.

SM at the dealer where I took my car for its tires says he's had a rash of customers come in with something in the tire and the tire is low or even flat.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Rats! Flat tire! Rats! Insult to injury...