Sponsored by:

Very upset with Rennlist forum

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 07:35 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Very upset with Rennlist forum

Okay, so I didn't have a Porsche after I sold my 911 race car back in 2009 and was happy driving my BMW M3. Well all my Porsche friends were giving me a very difficult time for being a PCA instructor but not actually owning a Porsche any longer. So then I started looking at Rennlist to see if I could find any nice used Porsches. A simple 993 Carrera would have been just fine. Instead I started reading about what a great deal the 996 TTs are considering the relative bang for the buck. So, after 6 months of searching I find a nice 2004 TT in white (had to be white because it reminded me of the cup cars when I used to race). So I scour the country looking for a 100% stock, unmolested example and find my one owner car and buy it in March. Flash forward a few months and I am reading Dell's posts about modding and thinking I won't get caught up in this again; that is how I ended up racing back in 2001. But I had been reading about these cool wheels (GT3 for our Turbos), especially from SSST. Well, low and behold a set pops up on my local Craigslist last week so I buy them. I don't consider changing my wheels a mod. But here is why I am upset. Now I look at my nice, stock turbo with its new GT3 wheels and think it looks ridiculous sitting up so high so I call my local mechanic and ask how to lower my car just ever so much. He tells me to put on some PSS10s but I think no - this was yesterday. So I sleep on it and look at my car once again in my garage today sitting all "high" and mighty, literally. So I pick up the phone and am now taking the car to him tomorrow to have the PSS10s installed and the car lowered and corner balanced. Damn Rennlist!

Last edited by mmporsche; 06-30-2012 at 09:51 PM. Reason: wording
Old 06-30-2012, 09:14 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL. Those wheels will still be ugly on your car.

I've got 10k in upgrades so far, and have another 10k on the drawing board (not including the wheels). I know I'll never get my money back, but I'm having a blast doing it.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:16 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got 10k in upgrades so far, and have another 10k on the drawing board (not including the wheels). I know I'll never get my money back, but I'm having a blast doing it.[/QUOTE]

This is not good, I was even looking at clear side markers today, where will it stop????.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:30 PM
SSST
Drifting

Well you got to get rid of the pumpkins.

Actually that is one of the main reasons I bought a 996tt. Great price/performance quotient, but the possible mod list is extensive and they are relatively easy to work on. I guess I wanted a high end project car and that is what I got. I'm still about 30k to the good on a 997tt and I already have similar HP and torque.

Like you I have kept all the OEM bits so it can be restored to stock if it needs to be. I even have my original ECM program thanks to Kevin.

It is addictive.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:46 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

funny stuff. when i went for my second tt, i went for a modded car with all the bits in place. i knew by that point, what i wanted and didn't want to drop ( and really couldn't justify ) another $20+k on mods. you guys illustrate why. to ssst's point about our cars' capability. i'm confident if/when i come up against a 997t. shouldn't be a problem.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:24 AM
UTRacerX9
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been searching for a 996TT for over a year now... trying to find one with the right color, right mods... And I eventually gave up, and resigned myself to buying the right color, and just do the mods myself.

Bought a mostly stock 2002 TT, and already cruising the classifieds looking for parts... Just don't tell my wife.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:00 PM
uschoice
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UTRacerX9
I've been searching for a 996TT for over a year now... trying to find one with the right color, right mods... And I eventually gave up, and resigned myself to buying the right color, and just do the mods myself.

Bought a mostly stock 2002 TT, and already cruising the classifieds looking for parts... Just don't tell my wife.
UTRacer - The good thing about doing it yourself is that you know the quality of the new components, and who did the actual install. Plus you know how the car was driven after the mods. It would be great to find a car with all the mods you want already done to save a bundle, but it comes with all those unknowns. I am paying the price myself having the car done stage by stage. But I also plan on keeping my car for a long time. Good luck.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:18 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Same here - bought the car bone stock. It now has the 997 SSK, EPL tune and Speedtech 3.0 X exhaust. The PSS10's and Eibach sways are sitting in my garage and get installed next week.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:28 PM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 108 Posts

3 years owning it and i stopped counting the $$$ spent , if wife knew the real amount id be single
Sometimes its love & hate but when I hit 1.2bar and she screams, the car not wife, I forget.all the annoying stuff.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:52 PM
SSST
Drifting

I have a rule. No screaming in the Porsche.

Mrs. SSST likes to drive it sometimes when I'm out of town. I didn't tell her about the UMW tune, but the first time she drove it after I put the tune in she called me saying, "Holy crap, what did you do to the Porsche?". Me: "I just had a little tune up." Technically not a lie since I did the 60K mile service at about the same time.

She loves it.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:09 AM
uschoice
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Same here - bought the car bone stock. It now has the 997 SSK, EPL tune and Speedtech 3.0 X exhaust. The PSS10's and Eibach sways are sitting in my garage and get installed next week.
Doubleurx - let us know how that suspension works for you. My next mods are either PSS10's or KW V3.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:23 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike, the clear corners make a huge difference. I got mine at Pelican, $22 each (Porsche bargain!):

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg1.htm#item0
Old 07-06-2012, 08:04 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Here is my experience. I am the original owner of an 80,000 mile 2002 X50, now equipped with Europipe, UMW tune, and PSS10's. I was recently at the Porsche dealer, and drove the new C2S. That car is not only not better than mine, it is absolutely numb from the driver's seat. The bottom line is that the mods to a 996tt improve the performance to the point that there is no point in looking at the newer car.
I would not have felt that way on the original suspension, exhaust, and tune. So, good luck in keeping it stock...... AS
Old 07-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Another P
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm so glad to hear that others suffer this ailment. Started with stock, then a tune, now the wheel well gap looks odd, so will lower, and then will need the "right" wheels, it's endless. Thank god I have a community of nuts like me. I feel better already.

Hi my name is ________ , and I'm a modaholic.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:26 PM
SSST
Drifting

Welcome ________.

Quick Reply: Very upset with Rennlist forum