Sponsored by:

Won't let me check my oil.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 07:35 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Won't let me check my oil.

says car must be at idle when i try to check the oil... problem is is that I am at idle?? Cleared a code with my duremetric but still have the problem thoughts??
Old 06-29-2012, 08:55 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,657 Posts

First off I have to ask a stupid question, is the car fully warmed up when you are trying to check the oil?

If yes, then you might have an expensive problem on your hands. I came across this issue while I was shopping for a 996 Turbo a couple of years ago. One car I was interested in would not check its oil even when warmed up. It turned out that to fix the problem the entire instrument pod and the integrated computer in it had to be replaced. I didn't buy the car. I think it was a $1500 fix with a used part, at least that is what the owner of the car told me.

If it is the pod it is easily removed and replaced but a replacement part might be hard to find and thus costly.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:56 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Yes she's warm. I did remove the pod a while back to swap out a piece of trim to carbon. Hmmmmmm. Maybe I messed something up?!?
Old 06-30-2012, 12:15 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Was able to check oil by switching on the ac. That dropped the idle enough to give me a reading. Leak somewhere... ??
Old 06-30-2012, 12:32 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by 993c2cab
Was able to check oil by switching on the ac. That dropped the idle enough to give me a reading. Leak somewhere... ??
Maybe. However, before we think leaks...

Was it real hot when you tried to check the oil level?

I drove my 03 Turbo east on 50 highway a couple of years ago on July 3rd and in 90+ heat. While the car stayed cool and the cabin stayed cool, the engines speed increased a bit over its normal idle speed.

While the heat by itself wasn't sufficient to do this -- I've driven the car in much hotter ambient temp (119F!) without this behavior appearing, the combination of 'hot' weather, climbing a grade in traffic -- the temp of the air off the road heated by the bright sun light and from the stream of vehicles ahead raised the temp of the air being pulled through the radiators and being ingested by the engine -- coupled with the increase in elevation all worked together.

The DME does this to increase coolant circulation and oil circulation, to help keep their temps down and give the engine a bit of extra cooling margin.

It might have been the idle speed was slightly elevated and the oil level system refused to check the oil level.

I never tried to check the oil level under the above condition, for I was on a mountain grade and the car was not level. Also, I didn't want to get out of the line of cars to pull over somewhere level and check the oil level.

In your car's case, turning on the A/C added the compressor load along with a good bump in electrical load (to drive the radiator fans -- if they were already on to raise their speed) and then the cabin fan as well.

This load plus a drop in coolant temp might have lowered the idle speed to normal or closer to normal and thus the oil level check was permitted.

Idle speed is 740 +/- 40 rpms. 'course the 'tach' doesn't have that fine a resolution so you might want if you can get your car and another Turbo side by side and compare idle speed.

If your car's idle speed is elevated there's something not quite right and the car needs to be looked at to figure out what's going on.

Now leaks... I assume the oil level now that you can check it is ok? That the coolant level is ok? You have to really remove the cap -- cold! -- and remove the screen and confirm the level. After some years the coolant tank becomes stained and it is hard to know if one is seeing the actual coolant level or a stain.

My Turbo is so stiff that I can't wiggle/shake its rear end to make the coolant move about enough to spot its level in the tank. I have to remove the cap and peer inside the opening.

If the cooling system has any leaks even if it doesn't lose much liquid this results in a loss of pressure and the cooling system's efficiency is compromised. In the more severe cases the engine is at risk of suffering from localized overheating which you want to avoid.

Oil is a vital fluid. Coolant of the right blend, the right level, and just as important, under pressure is also a vital fluid.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Last edited by Macster; 07-02-2012 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Spelling, punctuation, typos, you name it.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,657 Posts

Originally Posted by 993c2cab
Yes, you might just have an idle issue. What was the error code you cleared for?

Quick Reply: Won't let me check my oil.