Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello ! New to the Porsche world !

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 04:50 PM
crazyfrog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello ! New to the Porsche world !

Hi everybody

I am new in the Porsche world. I just bought a UK spec 996 Turbo S in Atlas Grey.

This one is a big change for me as I had for the past 11 years few Audi's : S4 4.2 avant, RS4 B5 MRC tuned (509bhp), RS4 B7 4.2 Avant. Engines use to be right at the front and now it right far at the rear !!!!

I do like the look of them, and most of all that engine !! I get my buzz from torque and the TTS has plenty.

I hope to get some help from you guys sometimes as I know nothing about these cars (about the mecanic). That forum seems very friendly, full of great informations, and people who actually know their cars and do some of repairs and tuning theirself.

My TTS is in really good condition, 61000miles and unmodified. I am having the dv's , manifolds bolts replaced. Turbos actuators replaced too with some Forge (mine are rotten).

Things I have notice : front is light under hard accelerations, car very sensitive to lateral wind , a little bit of lag to my taste (Forge actuators and a remap should cure it).

Had my Audi B5 RS4 for 7 years and done many trackdays in uk and many trips to the Nurburgring , knew the car so well and could drive it right to the limit, was an awesome car, absolutely mental.

With that 996 Turbo S I am learning to drive all over again...I am gradually pushing it more and more . To be honest that car keep me on my toes at the moment and I treat it with respect. In a way I like it !!! I am off to the Nurburgring next week for a weekend with some petrolhead friends and I will take it easy !!!! Love that car!!

I am planning to have a MRC remap, sport exhaust, Intake kit. and that's it.

If you have guys some tuning parts for sale contact me. Looking for:

Stainless exhaust 100 cells or without cats, Agency carbon intake kit.

Goodbye, Steph
Old 06-23-2012, 08:48 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Congrats on your new to you Turbo!

The motor hanging out over the rear axle get addicting. It bit me with a VW bug in about '66. Never quite got over it, been loving it ever since.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:34 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is different and keeps you on your toes, but that's what makes it special. The larger turbos on the S/X50 do take longer to spool up hence the lag. Springs will help, but the real key is keeping the RPMs above 2700.

Congrats and post some pics.

Last edited by SSST; 06-23-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:39 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

congrats on your "new" acquisition! Should be ALOT of fun. Post up some pics of your travels.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:05 AM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats and +1 on the photo's !
Old 06-24-2012, 12:37 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyfrog
Hi everybody

I am new in the Porsche world. I just bought a UK spec 996 Turbo S in Atlas Grey.

This one is a big change for me as I had for the past 11 years few Audi's : S4 4.2 avant, RS4 B5 MRC tuned (509bhp), RS4 B7 4.2 Avant. Engines use to be right at the front and now it right far at the rear !!!!

I do like the look of them, and most of all that engine !! I get my buzz from torque and the TTS has plenty.

I hope to get some help from you guys sometimes as I know nothing about these cars (about the mecanic). That forum seems very friendly, full of great informations, and people who actually know their cars and do some of repairs and tuning theirself.

My TTS is in really good condition, 61000miles and unmodified. I am having the dv's , manifolds bolts replaced. Turbos actuators replaced too with some Forge (mine are rotten).

Things I have notice : front is light under hard accelerations, car very sensitive to lateral wind , a little bit of lag to my taste (Forge actuators and a remap should cure it).

Had my Audi B5 RS4 for 7 years and done many trackdays in uk and many trips to the Nurburgring , knew the car so well and could drive it right to the limit, was an awesome car, absolutely mental.

With that 996 Turbo S I am learning to drive all over again...I am gradually pushing it more and more . To be honest that car keep me on my toes at the moment and I treat it with respect. In a way I like it !!! I am off to the Nurburgring next week for a weekend with some petrolhead friends and I will take it easy !!!! Love that car!!

Goodbye, Steph
Welcome.

For the sensitivity to wind I assume to the car's aerodynamic pieces: front bumper cover, air dam, rear wing; are stock and everything's there and in good shape? The air dam can take a real beating.

Are the tires N-rated and in reasonably good shape? And properly inflated?

Might consider an alignment. Came across an article talking about a new alignment checking setup that can be used to check the alignment of a car in just a very short time and on service department driveway instead of in a service bay and in a test run at a dealer 50% of the car that came in were found to have the alignment out.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:37 AM
Angelus
Instructor

Hi Steph, I'm sure you'll love the car once you get into it. Where in the uk are you. Centre of gravity seem to have a good name for setting up you geo, but with a 6 week waiting list maybe there is someone nearer you? Who is going to do the remap for you? Mine was done at JZM, and it is a Manthey. They really know what they're doing if you are near them.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:34 PM
crazyfrog
Instructor

Car has complete set of continental contact sport 2 N2 , everything is spot on concerning bumper and every plastic flaps under it too. Wheel alignement done last week. Pressure 3bars rear and 2.5 front. To be honest over here in UK it is hard to get some nice road.....will cross north of france, belgium, and drive in germany and the roads are fantastic . I will have a better opinion after that. But been told by few 996TT owners that these cars sligtly "float" a little at high speed.
For the remap I will have an MRCtuning . They are excellent, they are dealing with seriously powerfull cars, Audis, BMW, Porsche...etc. Did have some remap done elsewhere in the past on previous cars and they were ....crap and risky for the engine.

Last edited by crazyfrog; 08-31-2012 at 05:36 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:43 AM
DrainsWalletsFast
Burning Brakes

Received 331 Likes on 181 Posts

Atlas is a great and rare color. Enjoy! Also be careful with that larger front splitter piece.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:42 AM
c32AMG-DTM
Instructor

Hi everybody

Goodbye, Steph
Congrats on the S! Sounds like a beaut. The ECU remap will help tremendously with the boost-onset lag the stock K24's experience.

A quick word to the wise - if you went with stronger springs (1.0 bar) in your new Forge actuators, and have the ECU remapping done by your tuner MRC - you will probably overpower the stock clutch in short order. Might want to budget for an upgrade there. And, you might need some additional fueling support - either (at least) a 5 bar FPR, or perhaps larger injectors.

Again, congrats, and enjoy!
Old 06-25-2012, 11:41 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Car has complete set of continental contact sport 2 N2 , everything is spot on concerning bumper and every plastic flaps under it too. Wheel alignement done last week. Pressure 3bars rear and 2.5 front. To be honest over here in UK it is hard to get some nice road.....will cross north of france, belgium, and drive in germany and the roads are fantastic . I will have a better opinion after that. But been told by few 996TT owners that these cars sligtly "float" a little at high speed.
For the remap I will have an MRCtuning . They are excellent, they are dealing with seriously powerfull cars, Audis, BMW, Porsche...etc. Did have some remap done elsewhere in the past on previous cars and they were ....crap and risky for the engine.
Again I have to point out,as I did before,that YOUR STEERING WHEEL IS ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE CAR!!!
Congrats!
Enjoy!
Old 06-26-2012, 12:58 PM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats, she is beautiful! My C4S was Atlas Grey so I have a soft spot for that color.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fantastic color.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:37 AM
crazyfrog
Instructor

Back from the Nurburgring , it was great !!

Quick Reply: Hello ! New to the Porsche world !