Sponsored by:

another spare tire question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:50 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another spare tire question

Just took a spare wheel/tire combo to the local dealer to get a new tire put on it.

The service guy calls back and says you can't get a tire put on the wheel but that they will sell me, for $650, a new wheel/tire combo.

Is this really the only way a dealership can get your spare back into commission? Is it possible to mount one of those collapsable spares to an existing wheel? I've seen a number of old ads offering tires. Would those be bad deals?

Anyone have any experience or wisdom they can pass on?
Old 06-21-2012, 08:36 AM
BostonDuce
Racer

I can't say I would trust a re-mount of a collapsible spare.

It's hard enough finding someone capable of not buggering up your wheels on a regular tire change.

As far as used goes, you will have to wrestle with the fact that some will be 6+ years old. For the most part, that is the industry standard 'expiration date' for tires.

Will an old spare be safe, even if unused? Even though you hope that spare spent most of it's life in the frunk, it still could suffer some degeneration.

Check the manufacture date before any used purchase and look carefully for any signs of dry rot.

BD
Old 06-22-2012, 01:34 AM
turbosjedi
Advanced

i solved the spare tire problem by just taking it out.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:46 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Why would you worry about a spare being over 6 years old? Its just to get you to a place to fix the original tire not do a DE. If it doesnt hold air call AAA.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:56 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rdstemler
Just took a spare wheel/tire combo to the local dealer to get a new tire put on it.
Why do you need a new tire on it?
Old 06-22-2012, 08:35 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

The old one was inflated and now will not reset to the collapsed mode. I thought that PCA clubs wanted the spare in the frunk as it is part of the protection in a collision. I figured I'd have to get a new tire to be able to do this and that is how I arrived in this situation.

I don't know that I'd be relying on the spare as I will trailer to the track but if I'm gonna get a spare I guess I'd like one that is capable of doing the job!
Old 06-22-2012, 08:41 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by rdstemler
The old one was inflated and now will not reset to the collapsed mode.
I used my spare last year. Worked like a champ. Front tire went to the rear. Spare went on the front. Drove over 250 miles at 55 MPH.

Got home, took off spare, drained air, and the tired easily collapsed. Strange yours in not cooperating. Maybe wrap a belt around it, and force the remaining air out?

Did a full Concours detail on the spare, and put back in frunk.

Did you call Sunset to see if they will just sell the tire?
Old 06-22-2012, 08:43 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by turbosjedi
i solved the spare tire problem by just taking it out.
Not a good idea, in the unfortunate event of a major front ender.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

just put the wheel in place with no tire for crash protection and call a flatbed if you get a flat.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:48 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Not a good idea, in the unfortunate event of a major front ender.
If that's the case then explain how the GT2 / GT3 which has the identical body structure can be sold by Porsche without a spare. There is just a foam insert in the trunk of the GT2/3 which holds the compressor, tire sealant and a few other minor things. I put the GT2 foam insert in my car deleting the 40lb spare....
Old 06-30-2012, 02:44 PM
Hogapalooza
Intermediate

I took out the spare tire to make room for my dru... Errr I mean luggage.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:39 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Checked with Suncoast. Cost was less then local dealer, but they can only sell it as a complete unit. You can't just buy the tire from them.

I wonder, IF you could get the tire, whether a regular tire store could mount a collapsed spare....... do you inflate it, break the bead, remove old, install new inflated spare then deflate/collapse and store or can you mount it collapsed?

You can move a lot more "Luggage" without a spare.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:51 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Not sure why folks remove the spare for weight reduction. My front end is already too light. Removing weight from the rear sure, but from the front...no way (unless you enjoy no steering...LOL)
Old 07-04-2012, 06:38 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Not sure why folks remove the spare for weight reduction. My front end is already too light. Removing weight from the rear sure, but from the front...no way (unless you enjoy no steering...LOL)
You have about 1400lb being supported by the front tires. You'd have to be super in tune with your car to notice a difference of 40 lbs up front. I track my car often and and for me changing tire pressures has a much greater effect on steering response than 40 lbs ever will. Trailbraking will easily rotate these cars despite the light front end. You can also easily compensate for a lighter front end by a combination of stiffer rear sway and/or more neg. camber in the front. I run -2.3 camber in the front and the front end bite is fantastic. I took out the spare because I know I'd never use it since I have no room in my car for a wheel if i were to remove it off the car. None of the Porsches after the 996 have a spare if I'm not mistaken.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:08 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Actually I noticed instantly when I tried to drive the car without the spare. Those 40 lbs. may not seem like much, but are located low in the car's COG. Regardless, the average driver...me (that isn't interested in shredding the inside tread with your camber settings) already notices the lighter front end.

Quick Reply: another spare tire question