Determining 996 Custom Wheel Offsets

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 05:26 PM
Damien Lewis
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Determining 996 Custom Wheel Offsets

Hi,

I am posting this in the Perf. & Comp. section as well but thought I would reach out to the section of Rennlist where most appropriate (considering they are off my 996 Turbo).

I have a set of wheels that were formerly on my 996 Turbo and have been in my storage unit for a couple of years now. I would like to sell them, however I have no way (short of going to a wheel store) to determine the actual offset of the rims.

Is there a simple formula and measurement that I can apply to determine my wheel offsets so I can post them with correct information for a prospective buyer?

Thanks in advance for all of the help!

Sincerely,

Damien Lewis

[IMG]https://rennlist.com/forums/members/damien-lewis-albums-996-turbo-wheels-picture15607-l1050199.jpg[/url]
Old 05-13-2012, 09:05 PM
ClickClickBoom
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Lay a straight edge across the inner rim side. Measure in to the mounting face. Do the same for the front side, also to the mounting face. Subtract the rear from the front.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:19 AM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bad *** wheels. What kind are they? They look like gun metal.

I just bought Fikse for my 996TT but I'd be looking at these for sure.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:19 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ClickClickBoom
Lay a straight edge across the inner rim side. Measure in to the mounting face. Do the same for the front side, also to the mounting face. Subtract the rear from the front.

Or lay it on a table (same as a straight edge.)

But isn't that going to give you TWICE the offset?

Take a 100mm width rim, 50mm is midline. A 10mm offset would give you 60mm and 40mm...but subtracting 60-40=20

So subtract rear from front and divide by two...

(Alternatively you can figure out the total width (front+back) then divide by two (to get the midline) then subtract this from the rear measurement. ... Offset is figuring out how many mm the mounting surface is from the midline.)

Are those Kinesis?
Old 05-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Damien Lewis
Rennlist Member

Hi,

Thanks for the advice guys...I might just take them over to Wheel Enhancement to make sure they are all perfectly true and have them provide me with the offsets. I'm too much of an idiot to make sure they are 100% correct and I'd hate to sell them to someone and not have accurate info.

Yes - they are Kinesis - they're gorgeous wheels, were on my 996 TT for about a year or so. If anyone is interested in them, please drop me a PM.

Thanks!

Damien
Old 05-22-2012, 10:34 AM
BUTZI996TT
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I am interested in the Kinesis wheels for my 02 996tt. Please text me or email me more info and pricing / location. 203-216-0951 luciophotography@hotmail.com

Thanks!

Dave
Old 02-02-2014, 01:22 AM
Damien Lewis
Rennlist Member

Sorry to post on an old thread, but I thought there should be some conclusion to my offset determination. I was finally able to swing by Wheel Enhancement today with one of the front wheels and one of the rear. David at Wheel Enhancements was extremely helpful, he not only measured both wheels but put them on a balancer to make sure they were both true.

The wheels are Kinesis K-29R's off of my 996 Turbo. They measure as follows:

Front: 19 x 8.5 with a 50mm offset

Rear: 19 x 11.5 with a 47mm offset

I'll be placing these in the for sale forum shortly if anyone is interested...I'm located in Los Angeles and would prefer not to ship, however, if a fellow Rennlister needs them shipped, I'm happy to oblige..

Thanks

Damien

Quick Reply: Determining 996 Custom Wheel Offsets