Sponsored by:

Is this even possible! MAF covered in dew

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:34 PM
speedtrapped
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this even possible! MAF covered in dew

Ok, we had alot of rain last 24 hours...I have an evom air box, started car up, I assume water was sitting in bottom of box, or filter was soaked. I started car, let it warm up, and drove it, 5 minutes in car dies! Park and restart, drive, no boost. Pull apart air box, the MAF is covered in water, literally dripping off, and accordion connection to air intake had water pooled. Cleaned MAF off, wiped out box. Put back together, and checked for codes, nada. Except aforementioned in an other thread. The evom sucks.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:31 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtrapped
Ok, we had alot of rain last 24 hours...I have an evom air box, started car up, I assume water was sitting in bottom of box, or filter was soaked. I started car, let it warm up, and drove it, 5 minutes in car dies! Park and restart, drive, no boost. Pull apart air box, the MAF is covered in water, literally dripping off, and accordion connection to air intake had water pooled. Cleaned MAF off, wiped out box. Put back together, and checked for codes, nada. Except aforementioned in an other thread. The evom sucks.
I've seen a few dried leaves in the air box of my stock Turbo but never any signs of any water even though I've left the car out day and night in heavy rain (at times) several times.

The filter element appears to have never gotten wet.

I looked at the Turbo's air box the other day and thought I spotted at least one water drain hole at the bottom in a low spot which is ahead of the filter element so no water can touch the filter element, unless of course the drain hole gets plugged.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:42 AM
speedtrapped
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand Porsche designers have NEVER had an issue with fluid build up in a stock box. I was suprised, the Evom has 2 openings, and where the filter sits, the opening butts to top of the tail, just a weird coincedence I guess. I have wrenched on Audi for many years, never saw a MAF covered in moisture.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:04 AM
tvurt
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

That unit is known to be a disaster. Even when it is dry they blow MAFs. You need to get rid of that ASAP....If you must keep it there is a "hydrophobic" (marketing term) sock that can go over the filter to try to prevent this.

Tom

Quick Reply: Is this even possible! MAF covered in dew