Sponsored by:

UMW data logger and flash - first thoughts about ecu tuning

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Guybrush Wilkinson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default UMW data logger and flash - first thoughts about ecu tuning

I have been running UMW tune for couple of days now. I am shocked by the change from stock - night and day. I debated between tuners for a long time. I wanted someone local (I live in Finland) but among many many tuners there was none here with experience of tuning 911 turbos. Many tempting tuning options in Germany and U.S.A but I wanted someone that can be easily contacted if things go wrong, if tune is not to my liking and so on. U.S west coast based UMW proved to be more local than my local tuners. UMW/Kevin has been available on nights and on weekends.

I highly recommend UMW datalogger unit and software if considering a flash. With datalogger you can log actual real time data and see how your engine is doing. You see if the tune is taking engine too close to the limit under current conditions (fuel quality, etc) You can see if your O2 sensors and MAF are giving adequate data for the ECU to work properly, if there is detonation in cylinders and much more. If you lack basic engine knowledge like I do, you will get a free bonus. You will be advised how to read engine data. Datalogger gives you peace of mind and heads up to swap deficit components to new ones before something breaks down.

The first tune I got from UMW was a very aggressive one timing wise giving HUGE amount of power. The fuel I can get SHOULD be RON98 (so the pump says) and tune was made accordingly. On butt dyno my car runs great with this should-be-RON98 but data logs showed some detonation under boost. Pump gas is not always what it should be. How can you know if you cannot log?

I sent my data log files to Kevin/UMW and now I have A SAFE tune to run with "should be RON98" fuel. I also have the first tuned ecu file for better fuel. With data logger I can easily swap tunes if needed.

This all has brought to my understanding how vital it is for a tuner to know what is going on in your engine. The timing retard I had did not give signs of any problems on my butt dyno but data logs gave it right away.

Without seeing actual datalogs from your engine you dont have a clue if the tune is a bad one (jeopradizing engine longevity), a good one (safe but mild) or a great one (safe with maximum power). A bad one may feel incredibly good on butt dyno but will eventually destroy your engine.

If you are not familiar with engine logs and plan to flash your ecu you should think again. I was very close to go cheap and make a bad choice just because I did not know. Now I know and you know too. Tuners who provide data logging units are the only tuners you should consider. IMHO.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Guybrush Wilkinson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is where I first learned about data logs and led to my decision to order my tune from another side of the globe.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=64881

Quick Reply: UMW data logger and flash - first thoughts about ecu tuning