Sponsored by:

"Engine temperature too high"

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 05:18 PM
drh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking "Engine temperature too high"

Just replaced my diverter valves and now I get a display saying "engine temperature too high"
The engine temp gage goes to the max/red area as well.

I disconnected the little hose connected to the bleed bypass valve, and a small amount of coolant...maybe a 1/4 cup at the most spilled.
Is it possible that this somehow caused an airlock somewhere in the system resulting in a high temp warning?

The car has been sitting in the garage for a few hours now and is cool to the touch.

Wondering if I bumped a wire or something? I was very careful during the work.
Advice appreciated.

Last edited by drh; 04-09-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by drh
Just replaced my diverter valves and now I get a display saying "engine temperature too high"
The engine temp gage goes to the max/red area as well.

I disconnected the little hose connected to the bleed bypass valve, and a small amount of coolant...maybe a 1/4 cup at the most spilled.
Is it possible that this somehow caused an airlock somewhere in the system resulting in a high temp warning?

The car has been sitting in the garage for a few hours now and is cool to the touch.

Wondering if I bumped a wire or something? I was very careful during the work.
Advice appreciated.
Was the cooling system ok before the diverter valve R&R?

Does the warning appear after the engine has run and could possibly be hot or does it appear at key on time with the engine cold?

I'm not up on what DV R&R requires/involves but does it involve the draining, or even the opening up of the cooling system?

If so there's always the chance an air pocket was introduced but it would have to the mother of all air pockets to block coolant flow.

My WAG and I think you already suspect this, is you did something during the DV job. Nothing gruesome, just pulled a wire loose, or more likely didn't reconnect a connector completely, or something like that.

So, you have to seriously think about going 'back in' and double checking everything.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:18 AM
drh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the record, the engine temp sensor failed. It's buried under the alternator and requires removal of every thing above it. I decided to pay Sunset to fix the problem this time. Approx $25 for the part. The Tech checked the whole car over and the total bill was $600.

Interesting thing about my car here is this; the temp sensor failing had noting to do with the diverter valve install, but the symptoms displayed with a failed temp sensor might make one think there was a loose vacuum hose, boost hose or MAF failure. At startup, the car would blow blue smoke, blubber, and barely run. The Tech said the car thought it was overheated at startup due to the sensor failure and begins to go into survival mode by dumping fuel, turning on all of the cooling fans, etc....crazy.

My baby runs like a monster now, and I'm happy.

Quick Reply: "Engine temperature too high"