Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd time car dealer says advertised car not for sale, what the what?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 11:59 PM
95carrera
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2nd time car dealer says advertised car not for sale, what the what?!?

So I am looking for a 996tt.

First one I inquire about at Momentum in Houston isn't for sale, although listed for sale, salesman finally says car won't be offered any longer as it is going to auction, etc. after the 3rd or so phone call on the car.

Second time (same car listed at two different dealerships for sale within a 150 mile distance) local dealer who has possession of the car says on the second phone call to him that car wont' be available after all because "it didn't check out."

What's the deal. Should I be thankful for their honesty? Am I just that lucky? I would expect they would offer them anyway and say hey, caveat emptor.

After all of these games, starting to think that the only way to get one of these with any buyer's confidence is going to be in a private party sale.

The search continues.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:07 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 95carrera

First one I inquire about at Momentum in Houston isn't for sale, although listed for sale, salesman finally says car won't be offered any longer as it is going to auction, etc. after the 3rd or so phone call on the car.

Second time (same car listed at two different dealerships for sale within a 150 mile distance) local dealer who has possession of the car says on the second phone call to him that car wont' be available after all because "it didn't check out."

What's the deal. Should I be thankful for their honesty? Am I just that lucky? I would expect they would offer them anyway and say hey, caveat emptor.

After all of these games, starting to think that the only way to get one of these with any buyer's confidence is going to be in a private party sale.

The search continues.
I'd move on. Obviously something is hinky with that car.

Don't give up on dealers though. I bought mine at Porsche of W. Houston and got a great deal, and it has been flawless. The advantage of working with a dealer is that they aren't emotionally attached to the car and that can make negotiations predictable if you do your homework.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:27 AM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

+1, A dealer knows when they have a "sellable" quality car. And they can make a few more bucks selling it on their lot. The ones that go to auction, just get moved around until some dealer thinks they can unload it ; usually not for a great profit by the time it reaches a "non-reputable" dealership.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:11 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by 95carrera

The search continues.
Doesn't read like anything sinister is going on.

In fact I think you should be a bit grateful or something that in both cases you were told the cars just weren't up to snuff.

Obviously there's a reluctance for a salesman to come right out and say something like 'oh we (the GM) screwed up and ended up with a car that had issues enough issues that we can't sell the car from our lot'.

So you heard what you heard instead.

It never hurts to keep tabs on the two cars. If the cars remain advertised and remain on the lot or reappear in ads...

Also, note the VINs and after awhile do a google search on the VINs and see where the cars ended up.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:47 PM
95carrera
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the different perspectives. Indeed, I have been googling the VIN's that's how I discovered a couple of the ones I was looking at had bounced around the country. I should thank both of those dealers for saving me hundreds on PPI's, its just frustrating when you get the run-around.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:29 AM
Angelus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought mine from a dealer over here in the UK, after I had been looking at it for sale privately. Turned out the guy had traded it in for a Nissan GTR and the dealer put it up for sale. Once I was sure it was the same car, I started to move in on it.

A friend bought his C4S after it had been moved around a few dealers. As he had been to look at it previously, he had a bit of info' on the car. Eventually the sale was agreed pending the resolution of the issues the car had.

It is better for you to keep doing your homework and eventually it will work out in your favour.

Quick Reply: 2nd time car dealer says advertised car not for sale, what the what?!?