Sponsored by:

How much is enough?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 06:31 PM
turbosjedi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much is enough?

I recall a conversation several years ago in the automotive press, where the subject was how much horsepower is enough. The consensus, was around 800. It got me thinking, I am dawdling along with just shy of 500 today in my 996 Turbo, what more could I do with 300 more ponies than i can do now? 0-60 in sub 3 second? Top speed of 220? I mean seriously, how much is enough? Then I figured it is not so much that you need it, but rather you have it.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:50 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

For me it's around 520 hp and 520 lb-ft of torque (what my Turbo has). I try not to hyper exceed the speed limit (+30 mph over posted = hyper for me), and I don't street race or track my Turbo. What I get out of doing WOT pulls within the limits mentioned above is the longitudinal g generated by acceleration; the higher the better. The problem however is traction, and I've found that on stock tires in warm weather 520 seems to be around the traction limit in 1st and 2nd gears.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by turbosjedi
I recall a conversation several years ago in the automotive press, where the subject was how much horsepower is enough. The consensus, was around 800. It got me thinking, I am dawdling along with just shy of 500 today in my 996 Turbo, what more could I do with 300 more ponies than i can do now? 0-60 in sub 3 second? Top speed of 220? I mean seriously, how much is enough? Then I figured it is not so much that you need it, but rather you have it.
The (mostly Japanese) motorcycle industry mutually agreed to end the hp/top end speed race.

Mercedes/Benz and BMW sort have done the same in the car biz. (Some time ago they agreed to limit top speed to 155mph too for all but maybe a few special models.)

The problems are several: Reading about yet another M/C rider getting clocked at near ballistic speeds or worse splattering himself (and sometimes his passenger) all over the countryside draws the eyes of the lawmakers and can bring unwanted and expensive regulations. More HP higher speeds raises insurance. All of this combines to hurt sales.

For the automakers the greenies put the scare into them.

The problem is while you may not need the HP if it is there you pay for it, in fact, everyone pays for it that buys that model of car.

To accommodate the HP the car has to be stronger to resist the higher loads upon it, the higher speeds it can obtain, the drivetrain more robust, the braking better, cooling and aerodynamics better. The car in general becomes heavier, more complex, and maybe larger too boot. It will almost certainly be come more expensive to service and keep on the road. Insurance can go up as well.

There's a limit. I suspect Porsche is there or very close, except for special cars.

Porsche is facing some problems with the ever tightening fuel economy standards and this will work to put a dampener on HP.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:16 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The difference between Porsche and MB or BMW is that most of Porsche's models are designed to be used on the track should the owner desire.

You probably aren't going to track an E class. For the street, I have more than enough HP. Do I want more? Sure I do. I don't need it, but I want it.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:38 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by SSST
The difference between Porsche and MB or BMW is that most of Porsche's models are designed to be used on the track should the owner desire.

You probably aren't going to track an E class. For the street, I have more than enough HP. Do I want more? Sure I do. I don't need it, but I want it.
Well, I would question that statement. Given the issues most Porsches manifest on the track they are clearly not designed for that. Even those that are to some extent intended for use on the track have issues (coolant hose connections for one) that indicate while on box the car came in it reads"track ready" the car ain't quite there.

A fully sorted car for the track is like a car with a lot of HP. Expensive, to name just one negative.

Since many owners never venture near a track the cars are tailored to that usage. Otherwise the cars would be priced higher and more costly to own/operate and more fickle (which hurts the car and the car maker's rep) and so on and sales would suffer.

I have owned several cars ('01 Camara Z28, '06 GTO (6.0l 400hp) and now the Turbo with what?: 420HP; and I'd have to say 400hp or thereabouts (depends upon the weight of the car) is plenty.

A car -- my Turbo for instance -- with a bit over 400hp is fast, oh yes it is, is not too expensive to maintain/service (repairs I hope I don't have to find out...) and relatively fuel efficient (just paid $4.199/gallon for gas today and that was cheapest name brand gas I could find!), is not too expensive to insure, and gets the groceries as well as tackle the twisties or the open stretch of highway with equal aplomb.

The car is darn near perfect!

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:06 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wasn't talking about a dedicated track car, but out of the box it is more capable than an E class.

As for your last statement I agree. Ive had some nice cars in my day, but never one I looked forward to getting behind the wheel of like this one. The car is brilliant. Especially once I got that X73 on it.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:44 PM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think 420bhp crank is all we ever need. What we want is a different matter. The problem is, it is never enough. But realistically anywhere but german autobahn and long straights even 420bhp on road tires is overkill and cannot realistically be utilised fully. It is so like the motorbike discussion 600cc versus 1000cc. Sure on a long straight 1000cc bike will pull away. But put them both in the twists and they will both be neck by neck. It's all about WANT/NEED. Thats before you throw legal spin into it whereby stock 420bhp turbo is a licence killer in a few seconds on full throttle. And if you want jail time just take it to its top speed past the police. So 420bhp fast enough? I think so... I took mine to 530bhp and although I could do with more I keep on saying to myself; "don't be an idiot". Having said that: " never say never" :-).

Quick Reply: How much is enough?