Sponsored by:

new to rennlist, new to porsche, hoping to be a lucky owner soon

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 05:57 AM
theseb
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to rennlist, new to porsche, hoping to be a lucky owner soon

Been reading the forums all night for tips on getting my hands on a good 996 TT (x50 if i can find it) and writing down/saving all kinds of good information. This is a fantastic forum with all the goods.

Now if only I could find a 996TT x50 in SF Bay area for under $60k that isn't an automatic or a convertible!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to posting here frequently. My dream car is so close to reality.

PS-- if anyone has any leads, that would be great. cruised through the marketplace but it appears I can't post (maybe I have to be a paying member?)
Old 02-11-2012, 07:41 AM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recommend that you expand your view a bit. There are a lot of modded turbos out there that will produce like an X50. And many of them are under $60K coupes.

I have one for sale, but it's pretty far away for you.

Jon
Old 02-11-2012, 08:48 AM
thomapa1
Instructor

Seems to be tons of examples in California...but I agree - my search for a manual/coupe leads to few opportunities - even fewer in the private market.
Agree that non X-50 with some mods should be looked at as well, perhaps even preferred to X-50.
good luck
Old 02-11-2012, 11:04 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome and good luck. I agree that unless your heart is set on an X50, it might be cheaper to start with a really solid TT and do the upgrades.

One of the purposes of buying the car was to have fun upgrading it myself.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:12 PM
theseb
AutoX

Originally Posted by dantzig
I recommend that you expand your view a bit. There are a lot of modded turbos out there that will produce like an X50. And many of them are under $60K coupes.

I have one for sale, but it's pretty far away for you.

Jon
I have definitely given this some thought since I started looking for one a couple of weeks ago. I guess the x50 isn't a deal-breaker, so I'll definitely keep my options open. coupe+manual seems to be harder to find in my area; this is my biggest concern, and those are definitely deal-breakers.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:19 PM
theseb
AutoX

Originally Posted by thomapa1
Seems to be tons of examples in California...but I agree - my search for a manual/coupe leads to few opportunities - even fewer in the private market.
Agree that non X-50 with some mods should be looked at as well, perhaps even preferred to X-50.
good luck
definitely keep this in mind. and yes, there are few examples around here that are coupe and manual, but the search will continue. 2 short months ago I had four x50s in fantastic shape close by, but no means to buy them. now I'm in a position to purchase, and no cars. oh well. I'll find something.

Originally Posted by SSST
Welcome and good luck. I agree that unless your heart is set on an X50, it might be cheaper to start with a really solid TT and do the upgrades.

One of the purposes of buying the car was to have fun upgrading it myself.
I'm not really known to upgrade my cars very much, except things like an ECU flash or something along those lines. But this is all good advice.

thanks everyone.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:18 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by theseb

I'm not really known to upgrade my cars very much, except things like an ECU flash or something along those lines. But this is all good advice.
It's a slippery slope.

Good luck with it.

Jon

Quick Reply: new to rennlist, new to porsche, hoping to be a lucky owner soon