Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading my suspension on my 2001 Turbo Tiptronic under $2000. need ideas!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 04:15 PM
plastex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading my suspension on my 2001 Turbo Tiptronic under $2000. need ideas!!

Ok, I think that my 11 year old suspension is getting to be worn, and needs replaces. This is my wife's car So I can't go crazy with it, but I do take it to the track at Nelson Ledges, and Midohio at least 10-15 times a year and want to upgrade the stock suspension.

I want to keep it under $2000.00 and need advise. Here is what i'm finding in this price range.

-H&R coilovers, ($2k at Tirerack)
-Euro sport Suspension from Carnewal, ($2k).
-Possibly PSS9 but haven't found a good source.

ANY Ideas would be helpful.

Thanks,
Oscar
Akron, Ohio
Old 02-08-2012, 05:32 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd go with option 2. Especially since it is your wife's car. Stick with Porsche designed stuff so everything works right and you don't get funny noises. You might not mind an occasional clunk from the suspension, but if your wife is like mine you'll never hear the end of it or convince her it is normal.

Also you need to be sure to budget for installation and alignment.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:36 PM
plastex
Instructor

Thanks, I'll do the install myself.

Does anybody sell the Euro sport suspension here in the US?
Old 02-09-2012, 12:44 AM
SSST
Drifting

You might try Suncoast on the Suspension.

You need to be a good wrench for the front install. You have to disassemble the front drive assembly to get the hub to drop far enough to swap the struts. The rear isn't too bad, but you need a helper.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:44 AM
plastex
Instructor

I am leaning towards the ROW sport suspension/ ROW m030 if I can find it here in the US. I talked to Suncoast Porsche and they said they had it for $1400.00 but didn't know if it was the correct one for my car. Wanted me to check around the Forums for fitment. I didn't get a warm feeling about the parts fitting. I just want it to work a little better on track than the stock suspension if I gotta spend this kind of money.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:26 PM
SSST
Drifting

Assuming your springs are okay, and it's your struts that are worn out, you might consider using Bilstien HD sport struts with your existing springs. You probably also want to replace the rubber bushing in the top mounts as they get flattened over time.

Finally, get some higher performance motor mounts like the X73 mounts. Yours are probably worn out. It's a relatively cheap, high impact upgrade.

I put the X73 on my car last Summer and I went ahead and swapped out the stock mounts with the X73 mounts before I did the rest of the suspension. Just that change alone made a noticeable difference in the handling, shifting, acceleration, and braking of the car. I didn't realize how much the motor was moving around on the stock mounts.

Some more experienced folks may have some other options for you.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:22 AM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

X73 is no longer available...

Quick Reply: Upgrading my suspension on my 2001 Turbo Tiptronic under $2000. need ideas!!