Sponsored by:

Price check (2003 Turbo)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 07:26 PM
Jake G
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price check (2003 Turbo)

I am looking at one of the nicest 03 turbo's I have ever laid eyes on. It has 42k miles and some mods. PSS9's,tint,clear bra, HRE 540's, GT2 front end, 520hp tune by Hennessey Porsche, all service records and 2 owners. Oh yah, the car is red. I am New to the 996 Turbo world. He wants $60k....which appears way high, but I love the way the car looks and it stirs emotion in my soul From what I can figure it should be in the high $40's ?

Jake

Last edited by Jake G; 01-18-2012 at 10:48 AM. Reason: added pics
Old 01-17-2012, 08:41 PM
Letmebegus
Advanced

High 40's if he's desperate, but low 50's isn't out of line. Was the GT2 front end a complete job (search Mikelly's info on this), or bumper fitting?
Old 01-17-2012, 08:45 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It depends on what the mods are worth to you. If he did the full GT2 front end conversion, you are buying it as a track car, and it was really done right then it might be worth it. It would cost you more to start with a TT and get to a well sorted track car.

If you just want a TT for street use, then it is overpriced. Low to mid 40's will get you a really nice car with miles in the low 40's and 15K will buy you a lot suspension and performance mods.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:49 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Do you trust the seller? you are also buying into his word that the car is as mint as it looks. Also, it is modified, therefore it is "molested" for lack of a better word. IMO, upgrades can't bring the price up as much as the upgrades themselves may have cost; so 10-12K in body work, tune, exhaust, etc. just doesn't bring the car up to the $60K "asking" price.

Ask thoroughly about the GT2 front end, it may mask prior accident history.

does it have the original Turbo Spoiler? check for leaks or if it has been replaced. Another issue is Clutch accumulator; known to go bad.
DME scan, CEL's and if possible, put it on a dyno to confirm the tune and HP numbers....
mid to high 40's is more realistic.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:53 PM
95carrera
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a prospective purchaser I think high 40's is fair, but I suspect most 996tt owners would say its low. Would really want to know more about the mods.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:50 AM
Jake G
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the posts on the subject! That is why I love this site. I have added a couple pics of the car.

Jake
Old 01-18-2012, 11:47 AM
Lance 4c
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

FWIW:
Last June I paid mid fifties for my 2002, stone stock, with less than 6k miles. Now with UMW 2 kit, I am into it for near $60. Now have 11k miles, and no problems. 42k miles is still pretty pretty low miles in my opinion.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:01 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 295 Posts

$50K.

As noted above, I would get a detailed PPI.

I've read lots of threads about people trying to "dial-in" after-market suspensions.

Are the body components OEM?
Old 01-18-2012, 12:10 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The Turbo market is fairly strong for a very nice and fairly priced example. Providing there are no issues and it passes a PPI it may bring NADA average retail or a tad better from a private party sale. These prices were generally reserved for a dealer offering complete reconditioning and a CPO or similar warranty.

The mods, will hurt the value to a P dealer and most purists that are looking for an unmolested example. They may add value to those that do not care if the car has been tampered with. Most owners will pay more for a 100% stock car and mod it themselves. Most cars I've seen that have been modded are put back to stock when it comes time to sell for that reason. Modded cars can look very attractive but can be very difficult to get to the point of actually having money exchanging hands. Everyone likes to think they found a virgin, lol.

Decide for yourself what's important and where the value lies. PPI above all, also have the quality of work checked on doing the mods. Some of this initially looks good but in reality, substandard components have been used and horrible installation methods ruining and compromising some of the original body. I've seen this.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:41 PM
Letmebegus
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jake G
Thanks for the posts on the subject! That is why I love this site. I have added a couple pics of the car.

Jake
Beautiful!

This is an emotional as well as rational purchase. If all checks out well and the GT2 upgrades were done right, I for one wouldn't fault you for paying low to mid 50's.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:52 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nick49
The Turbo market is fairly strong for a very nice and fairly priced example. Providing there are no issues and it passes a PPI it may bring NADA average retail or a tad better from a private party sale..
I don't see a strong Turbo market.
The depreciation still seems to be in effect and prices dont' seem to be increasing for 996 Turbos.
Did I miss the memo?
Old 01-18-2012, 04:04 PM
Jake G
Rennlist Member

Just got a e-mail from the owner and this what he had to say:

On auto trader they run about 55 to 69,000 for turbo's on Kelly blue book trade in value is 53,000 private party sales is 57,000. I got a call from dupont registry and they said it was priced right. As far as the interior it is Black, no Nav. I have friend with the same exact car and he had a chip put in in Seattle and was told the same horsepower 520. The fin and front end are from Shaw. You are very welcome to have the car checked out at a dealer. Dyno is tough because of the all wheel drive.

I am not seeing $55-69K. I do love the car, just don't want to take a bath on the deal. I think we are just not close enough to put something together.

Jake
Old 01-18-2012, 04:06 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 79 Posts

Make sure the components of the GT2 conversion are authentic Porsche parts, and make sure that the aerodynamic bits are there for the front opening. If the car checks out as having been done properly (and I could tell within a 1/3 hour on a lift) then it's probably a "$50K+ car".

I sold mine for $50K with a LOT of suspension work, a completely rebuild and upgraded trans/Guards LSD, GT2/3 control arms and a very dialed in setup. I just wanted to move mine quickly, but the buyer was sent home with an extra set of wheels, three sets of rotors and pads, and a host of other "upgrades."

It just depends on how bad the seller wants to move onto something else. Get a thorough PPI. Not to bash a tuner on here, but do a quick check online of "Hennessey" and you'll find a lot of interesting reading. Especially on the Vette and Viper boards.

Mike
Old 01-18-2012, 04:09 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 79 Posts

We posted at the same time... Sorry...

That being a "Shaw" from end, it probably isn't ducted properly. Most places instal them for asthetics and go that route... The seller is being "VERY" optimistic!

Mike

Originally Posted by Jake G
Just got a e-mail from the owner and this what he had to say:

On auto trader they run about 55 to 69,000 for turbo's on Kelly blue book trade in value is 53,000 private party sales is 57,000. I got a call from dupont registry and they said it was priced right. As far as the interior it is Black, no Nav. I have friend with the same exact car and he had a chip put in in Seattle and was told the same horsepower 520. The fin and front end are from Shaw. You are very welcome to have the car checked out at a dealer. Dyno is tough because of the all wheel drive.

I am not seeing $55-69K. I do love the car, just don't want to take a bath on the deal. I think we are just not close enough to put something together.

Jake
Old 01-18-2012, 04:17 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 295 Posts

$$$ talks and BS walks. I'd be very surprised if the owner of that car would turn down a firm offer of $5XK or even $4XK. Those mods don't add any $$$ to the deal. I would probably want to get rid of the Hennessey tune like Mike ^ says.
And, I wouldn't make an offer before a PPI.

Doesn't sound like the seller is much of an enthusiast either - i.e. "chip" reference.
In all events, caveat emptor.

If you pay what you think its worth, and enjoy the ride for a good many years, you won't be 'taking a bath.'

But, you will take a bath if you buy it and something major breaks soon thereafter.

Finally, I paid substantially less for a one owner, lower mileage, dealer CPO, no mods 2002 in 2010.

Quick Reply: Price check (2003 Turbo)