Sponsored by:

Radar Detection Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 10:49 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Radar Detection Question

So I got my first ever radar detector for xmas. (I know, I'm a gadget guy in my 50's and I've never had a detector. Go Figure). Passport 9500xi.

At any rate, we headed to our Bay House in Galveston this afternoon. Had the detector going just to get the feel of it. I wasn't haulin' ****, but there are a couple of regular speed traps along the way and I want to learn how it reacts before I put it to a real test.

It alerted me well ahead of a couple of radar setups, and caught all the red light cameras. Not bad.

At any rate, coming off the Galveston Causeway I got a strong K band hit at 5 bars. It basically stayed that way for about 10 miles dropping in intensity only when I went past a big building. It finally dropped the signal when I hit Galveston State Park.

In thinking about it, I was making a loop around Scholes Airfield the whole time the K band was off the charts. Will an airport's radar set these things off?
Old 12-27-2011, 12:43 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Yes, airport surface movement radars can be K-band.

A police K-band running in always-on mode and following along the same route can trigger the readings you were getting. I'm not familiar with your radar detector, but with a V1 the arrows would have been a good indication of whether or not the signal was coming from the airport.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:49 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the Passport built in sytem with Laser Jammer, and get K band alerts near airports everytime.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:06 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That must have been it. I'll have to drive back by it a couple of more times and it should eliminate that particular frequency in that location

I went back and forth between the V1 and the 9500ix. They seem to be equal in terms of detection from the reviews I read. I like the directional indication of the V1, but the location and learning features of the 9500ix sold me in the end.

BTW. I did get a Ka band hit while this was happening and it was a LEO coming at me on Seawall Blvd.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:25 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Both are great detectors, and they both will save you money in the long run.

Quick Reply: Radar Detection Question