Sponsored by:

Ca Front License Plate?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 04:08 AM
syncrofly
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ca Front License Plate?

Do I really have to put it on? I assume its a fine to get caught without it. What are others doing?
Old 12-22-2011, 10:19 AM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 259 Posts

I run without the fronts on all three of my cars. Only one recent ticket in the last ten years or so. The operative word there is "recent" as I think they are stepping up the revenue producing tickets. What amazed me with that ticket was I had the option of attaching the plate, getting the ticket signed off and paying a small fee or I could just send in $150 and the ticket obligation would be properly satisfied. I just used double sided tape to mount my plate and got it signed off. Ahem..Unfortunately the tape fell off within days but the car was in the garage. But it made me wonder, if having a front plate is so darn important, why can I just pay a bigger fine and never have to put it on?

I've had the idea that the state could charge a bigger fee for hobbyist cars that don't want front plates. Maybe charge them $200 up front, give them a different rear plate that signifies no front plate required and then charge them an additional fee per year like a vanity plate. It would raise a lot more money then the revenue generated from the relatively few cars they cite...... just a thought.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:24 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oddly enough I have been running without plates for almost two years, but not by choice. My car only came with 1 plate. I have now requested twice to DMV for a new front plate, paid fees and still nothing. Gotta love the DMV!

Sanyata - I think that is a great idea.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by syncrofly
Do I really have to put it on? I assume its a fine to get caught without it. What are others doing?
CA vehicle code calls for one.

I've never run a front plate on my Porsches, though. Just haven't bothered to install the front plate. For each car, I carry the front plate in the car though.

I avoid parking in parking lots that might be subject to stricter front plate enforcement and of course I avoid (try to avoid anyhow) getting pulled over for anything.

But the few times I've been pulled over, here in CA or elsewhere, the front plate never came up for discussion.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:55 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by syncrofly

after several tickets while parked, i finally broke down and installed the plate holder that uses the tow hook receptacle. it's better than the oem fitting but it's still fugly.

los angeles is notoriously ticketing for this minor infraction.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:28 PM
uschoice
Rennlist Member

Knock wood, but I haven't been pulled over. I don't park in many lots, and I don't have the front end scarred with an ugly plate.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:03 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The car was delivered to CA with all the State and Federal requirements. So how does a car WITHOUT the proper mounting for a front plate pass the state requirement? Makes no sense for the buyer to purchase a bracket from the dealer or aftermarket supplier (tow hook mount) to meet the front plate law. My dad went through this with his Audi TT after getting two "No Front" plate tickets while parking at LAX.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:06 PM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen people put on a vinyl graphic copy of their plate, not sure that would be legal...
Old 12-22-2011, 09:20 PM
syncrofly
Intermediate

Default No plate

I like the vinyl idea, but given this will be more of a fun car than a daily driver (wont be leaving in any public lots etc.) I think I'll risk it.

No one mentioned getting picked up at Fastrack or other places the video cameras log your passing - so I assume with a chip in the car no one will care there.

Thanks for the advice,

K
Old 12-22-2011, 10:54 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a temporary registration sticker/paperwork on the front windshield of 3 cars. No tickets in a combined 14 'car/years' of driving. My theory is they see no plate, but then the temp sticker and and think "ah, just bought it"... and they never see the rear plate.

One one car I've moved the sticker to two different windshields!
Old 12-23-2011, 07:09 PM
uschoice
Rennlist Member

Wink

Adam,
That's been working for me too.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:59 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

lapvb basically at me alive. in hollywood or la they're just relentless. you could get 3 tickets a DAY out here. after 3rd? maybe 4th ticket, even with temp window stickers i just gave up. they give ya a ticket, and knowing that you wont go thru the admin hell to fight a $25.00 fine once they deny you by mail. it's a known scam.

i hate the plate, ruins the front, but had to do it. gosh darn revenuers
Old 12-24-2011, 10:48 AM
Scott.
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts

If you do a road trip up north, prepare to get pulled over in Oregon and Washington. I've gotten ~3-4 tickets over the years and got tired of worrying about it. Ugly front plate
Old 12-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Lance 4c
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I live in Washington State. Been lucky so far, but it is likely just a matter of time.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:11 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In Texas they only seem to use the front license plate law if they need a reason to pull you over. There is a sticker that goes on the windshield that shows if you are current on your registration. As long as that is in good shape, they don't seem to mind the front plate missing.

I've never had a problem. Even when I've been caught for speeding no one has ever mmentioned the plate.

Quick Reply: Ca Front License Plate?