Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine Oil Level message...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 03:30 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

These cars should have came with a dipstick and you can add one if you want.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:45 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Unless you insist on checking the oil level before you drive off after starting a cold engine how are you checking the oil level that it takes 10 minutes?

When I go to check the oil in my Turbo -- once the engine is warmed up -- it takes but 5 seconds for the reading to appear. An inconsequential amount of time certainly compared to what it would take were I to have to use a dipstick instead.

In fact the process is so quick I often check the oil level while waiting for a stop light.

Try that with a dipstick.
by the ( ten minutes ) i meant in order to check the oil, it has to be at ( as you know sheesh ) full OP TEMP, so 10 mins +/-.

this is rhetorical! but is "nuance" and subtlety lost on EVERYONE these days? holy freaking cow. you really thought i meant it takes me ten minutes to activate the stalk and wait the 5-17 seconds for a gauge reading!?

..and you're one of the smart guys here sir, with technical knowledge i can only marvel at...and yet, my point about critical thinking skills being diminished daily is unintentionally being made for me.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:29 PM
up4speed
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
And you check the dipstick for presence of coolant how often?

I dare say even if there was an intermix problem you'd likely not spot it by looking at the dip stick, unless the intermix was very far advanced. The coolant would collect at the bottom of the sump, under the oil. It would not adhere to the fraction of an inch worth of plastic on the end of the dipstick.

In fact I dare say that if one was that concerned about a coolant/oil intermix problem using the electronic oil level system would be preferable to a dipstick. 'course, one would have to use it every opportunity, but given one can do this from inside the car makes this a less burdensome task, with the idea to be looking for an inexplicable increase in the level of the oil.

I don't check THAT often, but If I check it every once in a while, I would hope to notice some foaming or milkyness or a slight increase in oil level if there happened to be a problem. With the digital gauge, one would have to wait for it to rise a full bar in order to notice an increase in level (the dipstick is infinite).
Either way, you are probably correct in saying that by the time it was noticed (with either a dipstick, or the electronic gauge), the damage would be bad. I don't know, maybe I'm just old fashioned and want to physically see the nice clean proper level oil every once in a while instead of relying on electronic gadgetry. Don't get me wrong though, I really like that electronic gauge because I wind up checking the level more often than I normally would because it's just easier.
I still want both!!
Old 02-07-2015, 02:10 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I seem to recall there is a kit to retrofit on existing turbos to allow for a dipstick. I thought it went in to the filler tube. From part diagram #12:
[ 12 ] ENGINE / ENGINE / ENGINE PARTS / Dipstick
Part Number: 99660614000 dipstick
MSRP Core Online Price
$119.04 $0.00 $87.05

Old 02-07-2015, 06:24 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
I seem to recall there is a kit to retrofit on existing turbos to allow for a dipstick. I thought it went in to the filler tube. From part diagram #12:
iirc thats the same as robgt2 has mentioned a few times and same as the gt3 filler tube?? either way or whatever parts they are, i sure which i had a dipstick on this car. those part prices make that very do-able. nice find.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Oil Level message...